Fuel Pump Removal & Replacement - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2005, 02:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fuel Pump Removal & Replacement

Has anyone attempted this proceedure? On a regular cab model
is there any way to access the pump, other than dropping the tank.
Since I'm assuming the electric pump resides inside the tank.
ssrbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2005, 04:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

It is easier to take the bed off of the truck than it is to lower the tank. The bed is only held on by a few bolts. Replaced 2 fuel pumps on my previous chevy silverado, and after the first time lowering the tank, a local mechanic gave me the tip. Made the next one a lot easier and quicker.
32" BFG All-Terrains, 1 1/2" Lift Shackles in rear for leveling purposes. WARN M8000 Winch, custom winch bumper.
Sac34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2005, 07:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

wow, take the bed off? If youve got a hoist, or a tractor. Find someone with a welder and have a plate made up to fit in your floor jack that will support something long. Sort of like a Tranny jack, but different.

www.krissplicing.com
KCinMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2005, 08:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Actually two guys can easily lift the bed off of the frame once it is unbolted. The hardest part of the entire procedure is unhooking the wiring harness from the brake lights, unbolting the gas tank filler neck from the bed and the bed from the frame, and removing the tailgate. Which is much easier than wrestling the gas tank loose from underneath, and trying to unhook the fuel lines in such a small cramped position. The bed is suprisingly lighter than it looks. If I ever have to do it on my coly, I won't even think twice which method I'll use. A phone call to some local repair shops in your area will show that most of them will go about it in the same way. That is how I found out about this way, and man was it easier. Anyway, just trying to save you some trouble. Good luck either way.
32" BFG All-Terrains, 1 1/2" Lift Shackles in rear for leveling purposes. WARN M8000 Winch, custom winch bumper.
Sac34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2005, 11:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to coorsbill

Quick question: Where do you hook up fuel pressure gauge and what adapters do you need? Just in case...
Old 10-31-2005, 12:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Usually it's in line before the fuel line goes to the fuel rail. A lot of companies have it set up where the guage is connected by a tube that measures the pressure without having fuel come into the cab. I'm sure it's got to do with safety, obviously.
'05 Z85 CrewCab I5 4A 4x4 3.73 gears
'03 16" Silverado wheels w/ LT245/75R16 tires
geetar_zan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2005, 09:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to coorsbill

Thanks! I want to get a "baseline" for what is normal, while the truck is running well. Have 95 S-10 with CPI that will absolutely NOT run if the pressure is 38.0 pounds or less; if it's 39.0 or greater, it runs great! That's a whole 'nuther story however.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

And the reason for the problems with the CPI system is that the injectors are opened hydraulically, not electrically. I know because when the pressure side of the pump goes it will not run. An old Astro owner.
Yellow 04, LS Z71 2WD, Leather, color matched, OEM flares and speedliner, 3:42 axle. We love it.
Maxm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.