Snowmobile in the bed - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to sgarzaku
Snowmobile in the bed

I've got a '07 2wd Z85 extended cab colorado with the 2.9...has anyone tried to put a snowmobile in the bed? I want to be able to put it in there and not have to get a trailer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 08:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to Andersonn
Might be able to get it in there if you back it in.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

How about with the skis towards the front and track up on the top of the tailgate?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 11:24 AM

I've heard of people thinking about it but never heard if they did it. There are a few threads around here talking about that.

I guess the easy way is how long is the sled? I know I can fit a bohemeth Quad in the back of mine.

Dylan
From an '05 Ext. to an '07 GMC Canyon SLT CC Z71 Loaded including, I5, Auto, 4WD, Leather, 3.73s,
hitch, BFG 31x10.5, Westin bull bar w/lights, DVD touch screen and more to come.

Gallery:
Professional Grade Pics
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

About 115" long. It would hang off the tailgate with it down and I've never seen someone with a Colorado leave the tailgate up and put the track on it so I was just wondering.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 12:01 PM

i know thath those sleds can get kind of heavy, if you are going to put it on tp of the tailgate, make sure your laches are in good shape

06 4X4 Z71 Colorado
Bedrug Liner
Alpine 9857
Gun Toting American Club #43
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Most of the weight will be in the front where the engine is of course so the back isn't very heavy. I think they are a little less than 600 lbs total.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 04:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to Destructo
If it will fit I see why not, I put my ATV in the back and its probably close to 700, but it doesn't have to sit on the tailgate, I bet it will be fine since the rear doesn't weigh too much.

1985 Chevrolet SWB K10-33x12.5" mud terrains, 4" lift, 350 w/headers exhaust, intake, carb, HEI ignition, Apple Red.

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Z85 with the Street Pack, Victory Red.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 06:37 PM

I had a 95 Skidoo STX 583 and the skiis were JUST too wide, had to ride with it doing the gangster lean on one wheel well...

I upgraded to a 2002 Summit 800 and it fits like a glove! The issue is ski width not track length, thats what tie downs are for...

A lot of people will tell you to put it in backwards. I don't think any of those people have actually tried to reverse up a ramp into the bed of a truck though.

2005 Colorado I5 Ext Cab Z71 4x4 -Victory Red
3" PA Body Lift, 4 turns on the T-bars
AVS Vent Visors, AVS Bugflector
32x11.5 Goodyear Wrangler MTR's
Smittybilt Nerf Bars, Fold a Cover
Kenwood MP925 HU, Kenwood 8" amplified sub
Colorado Lifted Club #71
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 12:38 AM

Send a message via MSN to Sparky87
I just finished moving my bro's skidoo to my town from my old town and it was like JpBergeron said, I had to have it leaning on one wheel well to get it in. A bit stuck out of the back, but tie downs are great for securing it in. I wouldn't be too worried about it. Ramps would help. Loading a skidoo by hand is a pain in the ***

09 Colorado CC 4X4 ~42000km's * V8 * Hydronic 4 and Airtronic 2 heaters * Two orbital purple haze batteries in parallel * Complete bubaloo skids * 2 1/2" shackle * T-bar crank * 17"X8" ultra mavericks * 500HD decals * Canyon & Colorado club of Canada! #9
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 12:45 AM

A cheap trailer will do wonders for you, I bought an old popup camper with a nice torsion axle for $100, put some lights on it, some plywood (took ALL camper related parts off), and loading a snowmobile is a breeze now! The best part is, the hubs, axle, and frame are all well made to withstand the loads of a camper. I did see that you are wanting to avoid that route, may I ask why?

What kind of sled to you have? That will make ALL the difference of if it will fit or not. I have some Yamaha SRV's that do fit, but they are not as wide as many of the newer sleds. For length, just leave the gate down, the track will hold it from bouncing around and won't hurt it at all, like others have said, straps will hold it all you need. Now my brother's vintage sleds from the 70's fit VERY nicely

Too bad all the sleds are going to be sold this winter along with my trailer :(

2008 Pontiac G6 3.5 4 door

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 ... the "other vehicle"

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

That popup sounds like a nice find. I would have to install the trailering equipment. I didn't get mine with a hitch and everything. I do want to install all of that eventually but I was trying to go more compact and put it in the bed.

I've got 2 '97 Polaris Indy Trails and a '02 (?) Polaris X-Edge. So the sleds are a bit older. I was looking at the Polaris site and their specs say that the new sleds should fit. I would have no problem with just strapping it with the tailgate down but I'm not sure how far past the tailgate the track would hang.

I bet those old slits fit real nice.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 01:10 AM

I would definitely recommend getting a trailer....finding the right height snowbank to get a sled in and out of the bed is a PITA

I wouldn't be concerned about the track hanging off the tailgate, as long as you've got the sled strapped in properly, I'd rather have it hanging off the back than have it sitting on top of the closed tailgate.

Nick http://www.naskie18.com GoogleTalk: naskie18@gmail.com AIM: naskie18

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 06:48 PM

i made a couple of lenghts of chain and s hooks to us as a supplement to the cables just in case one breaks.use them with my atv(kodiak 450) which sits on the tailgate. i drive a crewcab and this makes me feel alittle better about it resting on the tailgate.

2004 silver birch crew cab 4x2 3.5 3.42
k&n filter
ventvisor vents
magnum deflecta shield
husky mud flaps
raptor series nerf bars
advance folding cover
silverstar lights
weathertech floorliners
michelin ltx
07 kodiak 450se
and love my truck even more now

jjja
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 11:36 PM

My friend has one of these- http://www.redtrailers.com/ShowTrailer.asp?id=1

Perfect for one sled, I'll be getting one before the snow flies.

2005 Colorado I5 Ext Cab Z71 4x4 -Victory Red
3" PA Body Lift, 4 turns on the T-bars
AVS Vent Visors, AVS Bugflector
32x11.5 Goodyear Wrangler MTR's
Smittybilt Nerf Bars, Fold a Cover
Kenwood MP925 HU, Kenwood 8" amplified sub
Colorado Lifted Club #71
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

That looks like a good idea...easily used during the summer too for something other than my sled. Still gotta install the trailering equipment though.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 04:21 PM

I have the same question as the original poster, except I have a crew cab 2006 colorado. I think that would make my bed a foot shorter than the OP's extended cab. Would I still be able to haul a snowmobile with the track hanging off the tailgate or would it hang off too much?
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 10:07 AM

not knowing your size sled its hard to say, looking at this video makes it look very tight,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2paE1oN24YA

Bear with me while I speak, and after I have spoken, mock on. [Job 21:3]

2006 3.5L, Crew Cab, Z71, Dark Metallic Red
Gift from wife Christmas 2007 (21000 miles)
100,000 miles on 01/28/13
110,000 miles on 10/22/13
120.000 miles on 07/08/14
130,000 miles on 03/19/15
140,000 miles on 11/19/15
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inultus View Post
I have the same question as the original poster, except I have a crew cab 2006 colorado. I think that would make my bed a foot shorter than the OP's extended cab. Would I still be able to haul a snowmobile with the track hanging off the tailgate or would it hang off too much?
I would not attempt to put a snowmobile in the bed of a crewcab.

Small open trailers aren't expensive, and should be much easier to load and unload. You can even get one big enough for two sleds and still probably be able to pull it on the bumper ball if you don't want to add a hitch to the truck, then you can take someone else to split fuel costs as well.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 08:46 AM

What kind of sled do you have?
Ive driven a few thousand km with a ski doo summit 154" track in both the crewcab and ext cab. Ext cab is no problem, track is out about 80 cm, tie it down and you will not notice its there. For the crewcab, just take the skis off and tie it down. Leave the tailgate down!

If it bothers you that one of the skis are up on the wheel well, take them off.

I completely understands if you dont want a trailer. Hauling a trailer is slow, not fuel efficient and can be difficult up winding mountain roads covered in ice and snow. Ive gotten stuck more times than I care to remember.

I have an enclosed trailer, but if im not hauling several sleds, I leave the trailer at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode