Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

2005 Chevrolet Colorado - Payload and Towing Question

48K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  davn 
#1 ·
Hi,
Two part question

I have an 05 Chevy Colorado, I have been using it for my junk hauling business ( believe it or not ) I have 4ft high wood sides erected in the bed.
I can safely haul a little over a half tonne of junk at one time, I was thinking of investing in a trailer.
It says it can tow 4000lbs, can I load the truck and the trailer and make sure the payload doesnt exceed 4000lbs? Will that exceed the GVWR...i'm confused
Or, will it be too difficult to load and unload the truck bed with a trailer on the back, should i just use a trailer

Any help is appreciated

#2 ·
I don't have my owners manual available at the moment but if you do, look at it and see what the recommended gCvw. The "C" stands for 'combined'. It is the weight of the truck and trailer weights combined.

It's up to you to determine if it will be a challenge to unload the truck with a trailer attached. The trailer would be small enough that you maybe you could disconnect it easily when you are at your unloading destination. I'm sure it would not hinder you though as you only need to step across the tongue to access the truck from behind. I would not expect you have a trailer with a very short tongue.

#3 ·
You will be able to haul significantly more weight in a trailer than in the bed of the truck.

I would say that your best bet is likely to invest in a trailer, and us that instead of the bed of the truck. As 08Canyon said, check your manual or there should be a sticker on the inside of the door on the driver's side that also has weight ratings, if I recall correctly.

#5 ·
I can't find my GCWR anywhere yet, but I am thinking I am going to get a trailer anyways. Does anyone know if and how you can icnrease your towing power? Hitch rather than a ball? I've been told it depends what kind of trailer you get, I've also read that this is not possible you have to stay within your manufacturer towing capacity. I know you can get away with a few hundred extra pounds here and there but any info would be appreciated

#6 ·
Legally, you have to stay within your manufacturer towing capacity.

That being said, the rated capacity will be significantly less on a bumper ball than it will with a class III hitch, so for you, I'm sure it's worth dropping the couple hundred bucks to have a proper hitch installed.

Maximum trailer weights for your truck can be found here.

Trailer rating for the bumper ball is printed right on the bumper by where the ball is inserted, if I remember correctly, but I want to say it's in the neighborhood of #1500-2000.

#7 ·
i used a trailer for landscaping and regularly filled up both the trailer (6x10ish 3ft sides) and bed with yard refuse. the tongue was long enough that i could jackknife the trailer 90 degrees out and could fully drop the tailgate, very convenient i must say.

i filled the trailer with gravel one time (full bucket from the front loader) and it completely sagged the springs. it sure was an interesting 6 mile ride through the city riding on the bump stops. so, i don't recommend it but it can take it.

#8 ·
A trailer would give you flexibility over just the truck bed for your business; I would get a trailer just for that option.

#10 ·
The owners manual covers this info pretty clearly. If you don't have one, they can easily be found online in PDF format via a Google search.

#15 ·
2" Class 3 Trailer Hitch Combo w/ wiring and ball mount | eBay

I purchased this hitch for my 06 colly i5 with crew cab auto trans and 4x4. I am disabled and carry aroung a wheelchair lift (250 pounds) and a wheel chair (375 pounds) I have had no problems doing this on a daily basis 425 pounds tongue weight.

This hitch is easy to install, as I stated I am disable (dead leg no blood flow) and I installed it myself in 20 minutes.

I towed my father in laws enclosed 12' x 6' trailer loaded down with 2 honda vtx 1800 motorcycles to daytona beach 700 miles and back with no issues.

Yes I also have installed a trans and oil cooler to be towing like this but the truck held up to the tasks great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.