2017 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Caught Testing! - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcanuk View Post
I'm actually disappointed, they left off the front air dam off on purpose, which means this board will miss the 90+ pages in multiple threads on how to remove it.
Yes but think of the children, or the board traffic the air dam creates.

2015 GMC CANYON SLT CC 4X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 09:42 AM

GM's timing here is that of comic genius. I wait a year for plans for the ZR2 concept to become reality. No info. Decide to order my truck. I wait 6 months for it to be built, no info. I take delivery 7 days ago and proof of it's existence comes to light.

At least we'll be getting a few more toys in the parts bin.
CrashFix likes this.
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 11:48 AM

ZR2 spy photos?!

Somebody shared this article in the 2nd gen facebook group a little bit ago...looks promising. Hopefully it keeps the same suspension components from the concept ZR2, from these photos it just looks like stock lifted suspension. The rear axle is definitely wider though.

Chevy Colorado ZR2 Caught in Spy Photos » AutoGuide.com News

2016 ccsb Colorado
Red Rock Metallic
K&N Blackhawk intake
30 inch titan 4ds led light bar (front bumper)
Leds everywhere
Cyclops led low beams
Diode dynamic xml2 fogs
Auto spring 2.5/1.5 front level rear add a leaf

post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 12:29 PM

New links above (merged thread content)
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Canyon View Post
More anything is always better. Duh

That will be in the Darwin Award nominees for stupidity.

St. Louis born and living
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 12:56 PM

Oh wow! I was fully expecting to get Rick-Rolled when I clicked the link.

It looks like a really viable truck. The ZR-2 concept was way too cool. I knew it would have to lose a list of attributes if it were to ever make it into production. It looks like they addressed the biggest problem; the terrible approach angle.

I can't wait to see this truck come alive.
CrashFix likes this.

2008 GMC Canyon, 3.7 I5, Off Road 4x4, Inferno Orange.
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 01:33 PM

I'm with Gilly,
Even drive a gold CC first gen! I'm waiting on the "LGX engine and 8 speed" (because I don't think ill get to choose between a 5.3L or 4.3L)!
Gilly likes this.
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 07:52 PM

Garage
I really hope the LGX comes out 17, mid 17 or 18 like I have read. I think as soon as I can get that I will pull the trigger.

2017 Crew Cab Long Box Z71 V6 4WD Brownstone
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilmonkey View Post
I'll give you my 4 speed in my silverado

I"m 100% positive anything is better than that.
I like staying in the power band not hearing a motor scream as it winds out from gear to gear.

BRING ON THE 8 AND 10 SPEEDS

oh and that dead spot at 40 MPH i got in the 5 speed diesel jeep ... it sucks too
What year JEEP? The 3.8 JKs were junk trans/engine setups. My 2013 Gasoline has no problem at all and is quick. That 3.6 made a huge difference. I like the 5 speeds.

St. Louis born and living
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 09:24 AM

I'm prepared to donate a kidney to the GM exec that makes this ZR2 concept a reality. I fell absolutely in love with the ZR2 concept before the Colorado/Canyon twins came to the US. Unfortunately due to a major fender bender that ended up totaling my previous car, I was forced to get a used Buick Regal just 2 months before the twins hit the ground. However, I can definitely see myself trading my beloved Regal in for this ZR2. And, if GM offers it with the 2.8L Duramax, I'll definitely be asking my wife for forgiveness rather than permission as soon as I return home from the dealership.
post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
The "caught testing" pic makes a lot more sense that it is a different engine and trans combo, the ZR2 should just be a trim and content package, no reason they'd need to be out testing it, just like say a Trail Boss or Denali. But even though the powertrain is already in some Cadillacs, to put it in a truck the EPA I am sure would make them do a lot of testing before releasing it. As far as the disguise, I again, by looking at the pic, assume it is a refresh on the grille they don't want people to see yet, or the ZR2 really got dumbed down alot from the prototype they were showing as I don't see a lot of the styling it had up front. LOVE those flares, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
just thought, with the air dam removed, that could open up a can of worms, could affect aerodynamics enough that it would require testing. Rather doubt they would jump through a lot of hoops for the ZR2 but maybe. Maybe combination of engine and no air dam for the ZR2??
It has new suspension and probably will get larger tires. They will have to work on ride and handling, and also tune the drivetrain. Also, you're right - with the air dam removed and taller ride height the airflow changes dramatically.
CrashFix likes this.

2004 GMC Canyon SLE Ext Cab Z71 4x4

Site Rules
post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 07:57 AM

ZR2 still in the works?

Spied: 2017 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Off-Roader - PickupTrucks.com News

Seems a bit disappointing from the photos in my opinion.
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 08:08 AM

Here is a recent thread on the subject. Go ahead and merge them Mr. 08.

2017 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Caught Testing!

post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 08:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to CPWire
Looks I might have a new V8 swap project truck soon!
CrashFix likes this.
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 09:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside View Post
What year JEEP? The 3.8 JKs were junk trans/engine setups. My 2013 Gasoline has no problem at all and is quick. That 3.6 made a huge difference. I like the 5 speeds.
I have a 2009 JKU and while yes the motor is a turd, I don't find the transmission to be anything bad. It shifts good and when it needs to...it's more predictable than the transmission in my Colorado.
Southside likes this.

2016 Colorado CC Z71
Laser Blue
Scooter Scott's Build Thread
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 06:32 PM
vw1

Garage
Zr2

I'm mildly curious to see if they do end up producing one, but like so many other companies with other products, I think GM has already put themselves in the dangerous position of too little too late, with the ZR2. What I often see with all kinds of products, when this kind of thing happens, is that the usual loyal customers go all different directions. In this case, some will have bought a Z71 and been satisfied, some will just mod a Z71 to make it as good or better than a ZR2, some will go to another brand...in the end, there is a much smaller population of die-hard holdouts from what was a much larger population of potential customers say at the initial release of the 2015 model.

Additionally, what does coming out with a ZR2 say about the Z71 and the Trail Boss...basically it just re-emphasizes that those 'off-road' trucks have mostly just cosmetic versus performance enhancements.

And finally, what are the expectations of a ZR2 after all this time? Better shocks/suspension, better tires, skid plates in a few more places...what can they do performance-wise above and beyond the Z71, that will bring a price premium and differentiate the truck from the Z71. I agree there's definitely room for improvement over the Z71, and I almost didn't buy because of some of those areas needing improvement, but the margins for improvement are not huge and I think it's a tough business decision to invest in these slim margins when all the higher volume trucks are selling so well.

If there's one thing that I see as motivation, it's not necessarily sales of the ZR2 itself, but what it brings to the GM truck brand and reputation. GM builds it's truck branding on toughness. You see that in virtually all specifications and obviously in their advertising, towing capacity, engine horsepower, payload, etc., but in the serious off-road department they aren't the leader without something like the ZR2. Even if the truck doesn't sell incredible numbers, it still builds the brand for the whole truck line, and show's GM's commitment to all that they try to portray in their image and branding.
CrashFix and C9H13NO3 like this.
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw1 View Post

If there's one thing that I see as motivation, it's not necessarily sales of the ZR2 itself, but what it brings to the GM truck brand and reputation. GM builds it's truck branding on toughness. You see that in virtually all specifications and obviously in their advertising, towing capacity, engine horsepower, payload, etc., but in the serious off-road department they aren't the leader without something like the ZR2. Even if the truck doesn't sell incredible numbers, it still builds the brand for the whole truck line, and show's GM's commitment to all that they try to portray in their image and branding.

Yes, I agree.

Creating buzz is a great thing. It gets people excited about the Colorado line of trucks, even if they don't buy the most expensive off road model, the ZR2 could still motivate a purchase.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 04:02 AM
Osh

Possible diesel ZR2 spyshots

Not sure if I'm the only one who saw this or if they are old pictures that have resurfaced but here are some spy shots of a lifted Colorado Duramax with some aggressive tires and a cut front bumper just like the ZR2 concept. If you have any info on these pics or anything about the ZR2, feel free to chime in!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6a00d83451b3c669e201b8d1a240b0970c-800wi_1456390833791.jpg (200.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 6a00d83451b3c669e201b8d1a240a7970c-800wi_1456390850588.jpg (159.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 6a00d83451b3c669e201bb08bce5b2970d-800wi_1456390861937.jpg (205.0 KB, 72 views)
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 06:46 AM

That's not a Duramax.

There have been at least two threads containing these pictures.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 08:05 AM
JBT

Garage
Merged threads.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 4x4 Extended Cab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode