Here's Proof that General Motors Really Has Changed for the Better - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By and_steve
  • 1 Post By Postpartum Aggression
  • 2 Post By Reverendbiker
  • 1 Post By Gilly
  • 1 Post By naskie18

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Here's Proof that General Motors Really Has Changed for the Better

Here's Proof that General Motors Really Has Changed for the Better -- The Motley Fool

Custom Built : 2016 Chevrolet Colorado Z71, 3.6LV6 CC LB 4WD Black - Bose®, Trailering Pkg, 3" Off-Road Step Bars, Splash Guards, Spray-In Bedliner
Current Mods : G4 Elite Fold-a-Cover - AVS Hood Protector - EGR Black Matte Inchannel Window Deflectors - Front/Rear Dash Cam - Go Rhino Black Exhaust Tip/HitchStep - Red LED Map Lights - Air Dam Delete - Grille Guard - OPT7 Lows - Bull Rings - LED Upgrades - Bed Light - OPT7 Tailgate Light Bar
Future Mods : Carbon Fiber Bowties - other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 11:19 AM

themotleyfool is one of the very few webpages that I refuse to click on.

Way too many bad experiences in the past.

Postpartum Aggression

Current Fleet:
2014 Cruze Diesel (daily grinder)
2008 DTS Lux III (pleasure craft)
1996 Impala SS (garage queen)

Retired Fleet:
1999 Tahoe PPV (14.5 years / 135,879 miles)
1988 Caprice 9C1 (first new car)
1984 6000 STE (first car)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Here you go aggression. From JD Power direct.

http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...lity-study-vds

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 11:26 AM

Garage
It's safe, just a graph on reliability. Surprised to see Ford so low, but not Dodge.

2016 Colorado Extended Cab 2wd Cyber Metallic Gray
It's almost as pretty as a Canyon
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 12:33 PM

Wow, that is something.

We always knew that Mitsubishi, Land Rover and VW were junk - but what happened to Ford and Dodge?

Plus Honda has always been fluffed as something it's not. Let alone Acura.

Doubtful any of this will have much of an impact in the marketplace. The sheeple will continue to read consumers report like it was the gospel according to Mohammed.
1canyoneer likes this.

Postpartum Aggression

Current Fleet:
2014 Cruze Diesel (daily grinder)
2008 DTS Lux III (pleasure craft)
1996 Impala SS (garage queen)

Retired Fleet:
1999 Tahoe PPV (14.5 years / 135,879 miles)
1988 Caprice 9C1 (first new car)
1984 6000 STE (first car)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 02:37 PM

Garage
Wow, did I hit the unlucky jackpot. My '15 has had no less than 20 separate problems. That's what I get for being an early adopter!

‘16 Colorado LT CC LB Duramax - Brownstone, Bose, Luxury Pkg, Safety Pkg, Convenience Pkg, Trailering Pkg/Locking rear diff, Wheel flares, BORA 1.5" wheel spacers, Iron Cross Patriot Running Boards, Line-X. Planned mods: Zone 1.25" level. SOLD: '15 Colorado LT V6. Threw kitty litter on that turd....... and dumped it!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 05:35 PM

I agree that this report is--for the most part--good news. I do, however, have an issue with the Power quality report. It lists problems per vehicle, and I agree that the information is helpful. What it does NOT do is weigh those issues. In other words, a problem with a Ford SYNC infotainment system (and there appear to be many) is weighted the same as a complete transmission failure in a Dodge. I know it would be difficult to assign a weighting scale, but personally I'd rather deal with three minor issues than a single one that leaves my wife stranded on the side of the highway. Just my $0.02.

By the way--I owned a 2015 Colorado Z71 for 15 months and a 2016 Colorado Duramax for 2 months and have had a total of ZERO quality issues between the two.
JBT and Postpartum Aggression like this.

jack <><
2016 Colorado LT 4X4 CC/LB
Duramax
Summit White
Reverendbiker.com
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 06:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNoto View Post
Wow, did I hit the unlucky jackpot. My '15 has had no less than 20 separate problems. That's what I get for being an early adopter!
Yup, just read my signature line. Am hoping to get my 2005 to make to to 2017 or 2018, ought to have the problems beat out of them by then. I feel I dodged a bullet by getting a 2005 and having no head problems with it, yet anyways. I wouldn't have bought it except I rolled my 2003 ZR2, last year for the S10 extended cab, which is more my style, wait for the LAST year, not the FIRST!
DiNoto likes this.

2017 Crew Cab Long Box Z71 V6 4WD Brownstone
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 09:30 PM

The problem with these vendor funded reliability reports is that they very rarely state what the reported issues are that they use in the report.

The problem is the problem could range from something as simple as a belt wearing prematurely or a transmission needing to be rebuilt. Without specific info it's impossible to know what they're categorizing as "reliable".

Fun story here regarding "unreliable" Mitsubishi cars. I've owned two Mitsubishi vehicles so far, a 94 Eclipse and an 09 Outlander. In between I had an 02 Acura RSX-S. When I was car shopping for something to replace the 94 Eclipse, I was considering getting an 02 Eclipse but ultimately decided on the RSX. When I went to go buy the RSX, the salesperson at the first dealership I went to tried to convince me not to get another Mitsubishi. The salesperson had supposedly worked previously at a Mitsubishi dealer and she told me that I shouldn't buy a Mitsubishi because they were always breaking down.

Here's the fun part of the story.

The salesperson then asked me what I was currently driving. I pointed to my green Eclipse in the parking lot. She then asks me how many miles were on it and says "it's probably around 90k, right?. My answer: "oh that unreliable thing? It's got 211,651 miles on it. It's still on the factory clutch too. Soo... wanna try some other method to try and convince me how more reliable your cars are over mine?". Her jaw dropped and she shut up.

I ended up buying the RSX from another dealer because I was annoyed that she was focusing more on how other brands stunk compared to their cars.

Turns out I dropped more money into that RSX than I ever did on my old Eclipse. Only thing I had repaired on that tank was the lash adjusters, and it was entirely my fault. I was young and dumb and used 10w40 in it when it needed 5w20. The RSX went through an alternator, catalytic converter, air conditioner compressor, the main and backup cooling fans, a clutch at 150k miles, and when I got rid of it at 281k miles it needed a new rack and pinion, power steering pump, new clutch, shocks, timing chain, new door & window seals, and a new stereo since the one in it shorted out from the window leaks.

My current 09 Outlander? It has/had two TSB's issued on it. The main exhaust seal fails prematurely in areas that snow and the main drive belt wears out prematurely because of the materials it's made out of. Beyond that I've had to replace the catalytic converter and do brakes, but that's more wear and tear from the amount of driving I do. Other than that, I just put gas in it and do the oil changed when it needs it.

Here's hoping that the 2017 Canyon I get later this year is anywhere near as reliable as my "unreliable" Mitsubishi's have been. :)

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

2016 GMC Canyon SLT 4x4 in Copper Red Metallic
Hellwig rear swaybar/Pop N Lock for the tailgate/Revolver X2 tonneau cover/Bed Lighting/Extra high amperage USB charging ports/GM Bed Mat/Tailgate brake & backup lighting/Fumoto valve/Line-X
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postpartum Aggression View Post
We always knew that Mitsubishi, Land Rover and VW were junk - but what happened to Ford and Dodge?
In Ford's case, this really goes along with what's mentioned below - problems are all weighted the same, regardless of how much of a "problem" they are - whether it's something inconvenient or something that renders the vehicle inoperable. Ford is, of the big three, typically the first adopter for a lot of technologies. GM tends to come along when it's more stable, or limit the original release to very few vehicles first. FCA comes along after everyone else has already adopted it and brought the price down. In theory, this is more likely to hurt Ford in ratings like these....but, the early adopters for the technology will also flock there regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverendbiker View Post
I agree that this report is--for the most part--good news. I do, however, have an issue with the Power quality report. It lists problems per vehicle, and I agree that the information is helpful. What it does NOT do is weigh those issues. In other words, a problem with a Ford SYNC infotainment system (and there appear to be many) is weighted the same as a complete transmission failure in a Dodge. I know it would be difficult to assign a weighting scale, but personally I'd rather deal with three minor issues than a single one that leaves my wife stranded on the side of the highway. Just my $0.02.
These numbers also change a lot based on new vehicle launches, as new models typically have significantly higher complaints during early builds. A brand with a more established lineup (I'm looking at you, Buick) is more likely to see "better" results than a brand with four new launches.

Yet another reason why most things "published" are crocks of crap, rank this right up there with motortrend's car/truck of the year and consumer reports' "recommended" ratings.

Nick http://www.naskie18.com GoogleTalk: naskie18@gmail.com AIM: naskie18

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode