Garage
Chevy commercial, Silverado vs Ford aluminum bed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTm2...ature=youtu.be

2017 Crew Cab Long Box Z71 V6 4WD Brownstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 09:56 AM

Garage
Considering I was comparing an F150 with the Colorado, I'm even happier with my choice. I hauled a yard of soil last week and 0 issues. Love my truck!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 11:15 AM

Gotta believe Ford's gonna have a comeback for that

Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 11:32 AM

These commercials are going to really come back and bite GM down the road.

For one, would any of you throw bricks, or anything, into your bed without a bedliner or any protection?
Two, 5 feet is a bit excessive. That's enough to clear the cab...
Three, GM will use more aluminum in their trucks in time, probably within the next few years. they already use a lot of it, our hoods or suspension parts for example.

Completely bashing aluminum like they have been is really dumb. It's a great material and has a lot of uses, in certain areas. I'm sure Ford could come out with some commercials where the Al is better than "high-strength" steel in certain areas. An unprotected bed is not where Al accels but I would rather see them both with the same test with matching bed liners.

I obviously love my truck and like GM because of it but all the commercials constantly bashing Al and promoting "high-strength" steel are so stupid. They each have certain properties that are better in some places and worse in others.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To

Last edited by 08Canyon; 06-10-2016 at 11:52 AM. Reason: removed cursing
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser67 View Post
They each have certain properties that are better in some places and worse in others.
I think you just made GM's point.
woodburner likes this.

'16 Z71 EC
GMPP Exhaust - K&N (Stock CAI) - Hypertech 89 Octane Tune
Hellwig Anti Sway Bar - Rear

Morimoto HID conversion 5500K
Morimoto LED Projector Fog Lights 5500K
GM Color Matched Grille
AVS VentShades
Colorado badges removed
Black Bow Ties

Red LED Dome lights
Canyon (soft) black center arm rest
Canyon Dark Bronze Aluminum Radio Bezel
Browneye's Rear Seat Shelf

Bed Rug & Tailgate Mats

More to come!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 01:54 PM

Any good body man will tell you that the only way to permanently straighten an F150 is to completely replace a damaged panel. They won't buy one themselves.
BrownChevrolet likes this.

'16 Z71 CC/SB Minimax. Brownstone. 5" SS boards, Quad fold tonneau, Wheel well flares. Spray in liner, swing out tool boxes, Bose & Nav. Weathertech vent shades, floor liners and mud flaps.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief2016 View Post
I think you just made GM's point.
But that's not really what they are conveying in their commercials. The whole, Steel Man and Aluminum Man to the bear cage and now the dropping bricks commercial, they haven't conveyed a sense that Al is good in a way but only "Steel is better! Aluminum weak, steel tough!"

Or maybe when they start making more out of Al and need to market it, it'll be all new Aluminium! It's a refined, sophisticated Al!

Also, lol at all the stupid marketing terms like "military-grade" and "high-strength"
Chief2016 likes this.

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That new Ford truck also has the ugliest grille I have ever seen, looks like a 1st grader drew it up.

2017 Crew Cab Long Box Z71 V6 4WD Brownstone
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 08:44 PM

"It didn't hold up to 2 very simple tests". LOL

Real people. Not actors -however paid to say the words asked of them.
Funny overall ad though.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 09:19 PM

Gee....wonder if the Ford forums have people complaining about 75 MPH bed flutter.
08Canyon likes this.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
For one, would any of you throw bricks, or anything, into your bed without a bedliner or any protection?
No, but I've had friends do it to their trucks. This was back when they were really working man's vehicles and not "lifestyle" trucks as GM has advertised them.
The yard monkeys have also been know to screw up the beds when filling them up with stones or gravel. I'd even bet that somewhere in the U.S. someone put a pallet load of bricks onto the truck bed and didn't get the forks all the way out and tipped the bricks onto the truck bed.
Search for fork truck accidents you'll find plenty. I've worked in warehouses and saw more than a few mistakes.

Three, GM will use more aluminum in their trucks in time, probably within the next few years. they already use a lot of it, our hoods or suspension parts for example.
I'm guessing if they use it on the bed it'll come with a standard bed liner built into the cost.
Although even if they didn't put a bed liner in would Ford want to remind their customers how easy it is to damage an aluminum bed while they're still selling them?

Completely bashing aluminum like they have been is really dumb. It's a great material and has a lot of uses, in certain areas.
I didn't get the impression they bashed all AL, just the unprotected bed. I thought the tool box was the icing on the commercial. That has happened to me with similar items and I was glad I had steel for the bed. Dents beat holes any day.

2015 Silver Canyon SLT
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorf View Post
I didn't get the impression they bashed all AL, just the unprotected bed. I thought the tool box was the icing on the commercial. That has happened to me with similar items and I was glad I had steel for the bed. Dents beat holes any day.
If you remember/look at all their other commercials involving Al they are definitely bashing it as a whole and not just its use in one area.

I do agree though that Ford using it in the bed without protection is obviously not the right use. It needs some kind of spray in liner or something to hold up.
The only "test" that is actually reasonable is the tool box one. That could definitely happen very easily and I am surprised the steel bed doesn't fare worse with the sharp corner and what it did to the Al. That one I can agree with, again though I would want to have a bed mat, liner, something in the bed.

That was the first thing I bought for the truck was a rubber bed mat. Give me much more peace of mind for anything happening.

My build thread
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 12:03 PM

I sell building materials. Just yesterday one of my guys was sliding a pallet with 5 squares of shingles into an F150. The bed literally tore from one corner of the pallet.
In my 36 years in this business I have never seen anything like it.
What good is a "truck" you cant put anything in unless you gently lay it in there by hand?
Toughsox likes this.

Last edited by 08Canyon; 06-12-2016 at 12:12 PM. Reason: removed cursing
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 12:15 PM

I saw this video just the other day, it is regarding repairs on aluminum. Interesting, there are two parts to the video.

https://youtu.be/oDQZu8K51ZY
https://youtu.be/Um7UpIA4X0s
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoxchaser View Post
I sell building materials. Just yesterday one of my guys was sliding a pallet with 5 squares of shingles into an F150. The bed literally tore from one corner of the pallet.
In my 36 years in this business I have never seen anything like it.
What good is a "truck" you cant put anything in unless you gently lay it in there by hand?
What did the truck owner say?

2016 GMC Canyon Crew Cab All Terrain 4x4 3.6L V6

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolfxix View Post
What did the truck owner say?
He is a regular customer. He didn't really care. I threw a piece of 3/4CDX in there to make things easier in the future and that was that.
99% of my customers are contractors, not weekend warriors. They aren't too concerned about such things, even in his "estimating" truck bringing a small fill in to one of his jobs. Now if we took out his gate or something, that would be a whole other story............
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 01:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
If you remember/look at all their other commercials involving Al they are definitely bashing it as a whole and not just its use in one area.
Is that Aluminum bashing hitting a little close to home? lol. Kaiser Aluminum | KALU, Aluminum Products

I have to agree on the over use of "Military Grade" & "Aircraft Grade", that means nothing to me. There are many grades of Aluminum , what are they referring to, is it the Aluminum used for cafeteria trays or in Armor? :

2015 Canyon SLT | 4WD | CC | SB | V6 | Summit White | Blk Leather | Nav | Bose | Safety Pkg | Remote Start | 5" Blk Assist Steps | GM Splash Guards | OBDLink MX Bluetooth Adapter & Torque Pro Software | Bull Ring Tie Downs | X-Pel Clear Film (Door Sill & Rear Lower Box) | Husky X-act Contour Front & Back Floor Mats | Z71/All-Terrain Transfer Case Skid Plate | SuperSkidz Front Skid Plate | Rocker Pinch Welds Blacked Out | Debadged | Blizzacks (For Winter)
How to Search vBulletin.org effectively
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode