• 1 Post By fftr
  • 2 Post By Plateado
  • 1 Post By chessguy
  • 1 Post By Mikelly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

GM's Plan to Take on Tacoma with Colorado

How is Chevy improving the Colorado truck to take on the Toyota Tacoma

How is Chevy improving the Colorado truck to take on the Toyota Tacoma - Torque News

Quote:
Chevy is promising that the 2017 Colorado will have an all-new V-6 engine and eight-speed transmission, creating a combination that’s unmatched in the midsize segment. Chevy is trying to improve the driving experience and the 8 speed transmission should improve the towing ability. The Colorado is only in its second year but it has sold relatively well at 160,000 units.

wachuko likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 01:21 PM

Looks like no change for the approach angle with the air dam still on the front. Toyota seems to targets those who want to off road.

I am still looking. While I like the Chevy, one should not need to take the air dam off to off road. I also dislike the 16 inch rim spare when the z71 has 17 inch on the ground.
wachuko likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 01:58 PM

That is a pretty decent article. Is very true, the big 3s left pretty much every market segment and focused way too much on Full Size Trucks and SUVs where the domestic auto maker still the leader.

Why is up with the Mid Size truck market meme? If the Colorado is mid size, what is small then? I cannot think on any new small pick up out there. Small Sport Utility vehicles are not trucks; just a 4WD small car. The Ridgeline is pretending to be a truck... talk about ambitions !
wachuko and newGMC like this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Plateado, why did they decide to leave those market segments?
C_tripps_2k likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 09:17 AM

Long time previous Tacoma owner.... This is funny, as the Tacoma forum has a thread similar to this one and its exploded. So, of course....I had to install my input. LOL I'm not for or against any truck. I switched for some good reasons.

Back in 99 - the Tacoma off-road culture exploded (I think anyway). I belonged to a club that was National (TTORA.com) and I went to Moab UT (passenger) as their yearly national event. Toyota had representatives there who talked with us about 'what we wanted'. There were hundreds of people at this event. For the most part - they delivered on some of the requests. My point being - there's a huge off-road culture that's been established for almost 20 years and the market is HUGE. It's hard to compete with that history and aftermarket support.....so it's completely understandable that Toyota continues to support and is the 'top' truck for the Off-road market.

Since I'm new to the GM thing - I can already see just how limited (or how new) the GM culture is. This forum is probably the biggest with the largest amount of folks posting and it still doesn't compare to the toyota forums (the overall amount of people posting). Surely - that's due to the overall numbers sold, which, could be a direct result of the history they've built. The aftermarket support for GM also seems lacking - these trucks are almost 2 years old and I had a hard time finding a lot of choices for certain things I was looking for.

That doesn't necessarily say one is better than the other - it just tells me that the consumers for each truck are completely different.

History builds a lot of hardcore Toyota enthusiasts whom don't dare make a change regardless. Then - you have folks like me....who've owned Toyotas for 20+ years, have decided to change.

For me, I've grown out of the off-roading thing. Even if I got back into it - I'd buy another Wrangler. I'd never off-road my daily driver. I'm a lot older now and can afford the creature comforts. Toyota is EXTREMELY lacking in Options and creature comforts they offer. You can't get this, can't get that unless you buy this or that. It's ridiculous. That's why I personally changed.

And yes...the Toyota reliability and ReSale is a HUGE winner too. It's hard to compete with that. GM has a lot to prove.......to compete with that.

But, as you can see....The GM twins are trying to win over the off-roading market to compete with Toyota. The one thing GM needs to do is offer a 'selectable' (a real locker like ARB) in their trucks. GROUND CLEARANCE, GROUND CLEARANCE, GROUND CLEARANCE. Sway bar disconnects, crawl control (over-rated, but that will probably win buyers), a front bumper that will accept a winch, offer underbody skid plates, add in a transfer case like the Jeep Rubicon..... LOL and the list could go on.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 09:56 AM

I don't plan to do off road with the colorado, the off road that i will be doing with my z71 will be just driving on the beach and thats it, i dont plan to be rock crawling or doing some crazy stuff. The colorado will be my daily driver and will handle the house duty such as hauling mulch, dirt, furniture, boat and fishing/camping to the beach.

Tacomas as popular but as for the city, the features built in to the colorado are just miles away from the taco. The exterior design on the twins is just modern and good looking, the taco is more of the same 10 year old truck

My wife is a die hard Toyota loyal, she refuses to buy any other car. we have had The rav4 with the spare wheel on the back, FJ curiser and we have one of the new rav4, we loved them... The tacoma could not help to lure my wife to get it.

If i were to off road and do the baja challenge or some crazy rock crawling then ill look into tacomas or 4runner, for my family colorado fits better
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessguy View Post
Plateado, why did they decide to leave those market segments?
I should said neglected...

Is all about cost and profits. The SUVs are the Soccer Mom-Mobile, the 21th Century Mini-Van; they are like belly buttons; everybody got one. Do not want to go in to the manufaturing details and associated cost. Let us say, the manufacturer can jack up the MSRP by a huge profit margin and people are begging to the dealer, to take their money. All the R&D, tech, advertisement goes very hot and heavy on Trucks and SUVs. How many Camaro or Corvette commercials have you seen compared to the Silverado? What about the Australian Badge Engineered Chevyrized version of the Holden Commodore VF series 2 sold as the SS? Not a single ad; an 100% imported car racing in NASCAR sporting a Chevrolet golden bowtie. Technically, the Camry is more American than the Chevrolet SS.

That left the others wide open to get their way into the market. Have you noticed, all of them started selling cars? Well... the Chicken Tax is a story for another day, or just Google it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 10:06 AM

For GM to take on the Tacoma all they have to do is to make it off-road worthy and make it reliable. Simple as that. And build them fast enough...

Interior (in higher trims) is better, electronics are better, chassis is better (rusting Tacoma frames), looks will always be in the eye of the buyer, but I like how the Canyon looks, diesel option...and now 8-speed transmission with new engine.

There is a lot going for the twins. If they can build a reputation on reliability it will go along way to take away business from Toyota.

The new off-road Colorado coming out should be fun and will compete on the off-road space. But this is one specific trim that will be able to do that.

Drive safe!
Wachuko

2012 BMW X5 Diesel
2015 FIAT Abarth
2015 FIAT 500c 1957 Edition
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 10:33 AM

I think is reliable enough for off roading. Past Performance is NOT Guarantee of Future Performance. Bought many GM vehicles and been always reliable. The Top Gear Hilux/Tacoma challenges were nothing more than a glorified Toyota Ad.

What will like to see is a true off roader. Some that you can use a car wash pressure hose inside the cab. Very minimalist aproach that can take the punishment and keep on trucking. A modular design that you can take the entire dashboard in modules (pods) so you can work outside the truck. And then, paint it with some form of Rihno Liner to make it scratch proof.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 04:16 PM

When you talk about aftermarket support, remember that by keeping the same design for 15 years, it is very easy to maintain aftermarket support. Jeep has done it with Wrangler and Toyota with the Taco. Insures a large market and a lot of used vehicles that can be rebuilt to go offloading as second vehicle instead of daily driver.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 10:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Long time previous Tacoma owner.... This is funny, as the Tacoma forum has a thread similar to this one and its exploded. So, of course....I had to install my input. LOL I'm not for or against any truck. I switched for some good reasons.

Back in 99 - the Tacoma off-road culture exploded (I think anyway). I belonged to a club that was National (TTORA.com) and I went to Moab UT (passenger) as their yearly national event. Toyota had representatives there who talked with us about 'what we wanted'. There were hundreds of people at this event. For the most part - they delivered on some of the requests. My point being - there's a huge off-road culture that's been established for almost 20 years and the market is HUGE. It's hard to compete with that history and aftermarket support.....so it's completely understandable that Toyota continues to support and is the 'top' truck for the Off-road market.

Since I'm new to the GM thing - I can already see just how limited (or how new) the GM culture is. This forum is probably the biggest with the largest amount of folks posting and it still doesn't compare to the toyota forums (the overall amount of people posting). Surely - that's due to the overall numbers sold, which, could be a direct result of the history they've built. The aftermarket support for GM also seems lacking - these trucks are almost 2 years old and I had a hard time finding a lot of choices for certain things I was looking for.

That doesn't necessarily say one is better than the other - it just tells me that the consumers for each truck are completely different.

History builds a lot of hardcore Toyota enthusiasts whom don't dare make a change regardless. Then - you have folks like me....who've owned Toyotas for 20+ years, have decided to change.

For me, I've grown out of the off-roading thing. Even if I got back into it - I'd buy another Wrangler. I'd never off-road my daily driver. I'm a lot older now and can afford the creature comforts. Toyota is EXTREMELY lacking in Options and creature comforts they offer. You can't get this, can't get that unless you buy this or that. It's ridiculous. That's why I personally changed.

And yes...the Toyota reliability and ReSale is a HUGE winner too. It's hard to compete with that. GM has a lot to prove.......to compete with that.

But, as you can see....The GM twins are trying to win over the off-roading market to compete with Toyota. The one thing GM needs to do is offer a 'selectable' (a real locker like ARB) in their trucks. GROUND CLEARANCE, GROUND CLEARANCE, GROUND CLEARANCE. Sway bar disconnects, crawl control (over-rated, but that will probably win buyers), a front bumper that will accept a winch, offer underbody skid plates, add in a transfer case like the Jeep Rubicon..... LOL and the list could go on.

You're making me miss my jeep. It was an expensive suv, with hardly anything. But the aftermarket was amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 01:15 PM

Take a look at that picture again.... I believe the driver is removing his air dam!
barnaby likes this.

Living The Dream!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jso902 View Post
You're making me miss my jeep. It was an expensive suv, with hardly anything. But the aftermarket was amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Me too! I don't miss the extra's that go along with that hobby. It's an expensive hobby with a lot of effort going into maintenance, prep, cleaning, and upkeep. I'm too old for that now! LOL

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 07:54 AM

Garage
I think GM must think to themselves that no one will really DO a lot of off roading, so why bother making such an off-road capable truck, it won't be worth it to them.

The point is, people want a truck that IS off road ready, there reasoning is "well maybe someday I will want to go off road so I want that type of vehicle". The real deal is they want to be seen in an off-road ready vehicle, you know, just because it's macho. Toyota caters to those people, GM doesn't.

2017 Crew Cab Long Box Z71 V6 4WD Brownstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode