Colorado is Working Hard to Taken on the Tacoma, but what if Ford Enters With This? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Colorado is Working Hard to Taken on the Tacoma, but what if Ford Enters With This?

GM has made the Tacoma fans concerned with Colorado beef up. But Tacoma fans seem to be also equally concerned about Ford's new introduction.

Chevy is beefing up the Colorado to take on the Toyota Tacoma, but what happens if Ford enters the race? - Torque News

Quote:
Chevy is giving the 2017 Colorado an all-new V-6 engine and eight-speed transmission. Some are skeptical of the eight-speed transmission but Chevy promises that it will improve towing ability. The 2017 Canyon will also get the new V-6 engine package but will also add an All Terrain X model for better off-roading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessguy View Post
GM has made the Tacoma fans concerned with Colorado beef up. But Tacoma fans seem to be also equally concerned about Ford's new introduction.

Chevy is beefing up the Colorado to take on the Toyota Tacoma, but what happens if Ford enters the race? - Torque News
IBLO!!

There was a thread just like this on the Tacoma forums - it became such a match, they closed the thread.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 05:35 PM

Competition is good for the consumer. Perhaps it will hold prices a bit more steady, and more innovation will come from the new competitors.

Taco fans should be excited to see the competition. Maybe Toyota will dust off their drawing tables and their T-Squares and try to come up with a new design to replace their dinosaur.

For all of the hype that the aluminum F150 got, the weight savings did not translate into MPGs. Ford is probably figuring that for CAFE & EPA requirements, a mid-size truck might just help their overall program.

Toyota really needs to worry about Jeep. I think that is the manufacturer that will really target the Taco market. Ford & GM will battle for the same customers, and cannibalize their FS truck sales. Jeep will hit Toyota, but probably not take many of the Ford & GM customers.

Just need to get Nissan on board to really shake up the market. Right now, I think the Frontier is siphoning off the entry level market who want a cheaper truck. Be interesting to see if that is true or if Nissan is selling higher end versions of their truck.

Remains to be seen what Honda will do, but I think they hurt Ford & GM the most, few Taco/Jeep fans would be caught dead in a Ridgeline.
Plateado likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 06:07 PM

If ford does release a ranger with the 2.7 ecoboost and a lot of the tech in the f150s it will game over. That motor is incredible, and leave to it ford to be the one uppers when it comes to tech and features. I think the ranger could be really cool. When I was in Thailand I remember seeing the new international version for the first time and immediately thinking, "it's a baby raptor, how can I import one of these..."
CaryBosse, newGMC and brobox like this.

2016 Canyon All Terrain V6
Morimoto HID 35w 5500k + Morimoto LED Fogs
Trifecta Tune
Fox 2.0 coilovers and shocks
265/70/17 BFG KO2 All Terrains
Bakflip F1 tonneau cover
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 08:22 PM

The Ford Ranger is probably the only truck that could replace my Canyon if I decided to buy a new truck, other than another Canyon. However, I really don't think I want an ECOBoost, although it may actually work pretty nice in the smaller Ranger.

My wife might kill me if I bought a Ford, but that is another story.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
The Ford Ranger is probably the only truck that could replace my Canyon if I decided to buy a new truck, other than another Canyon. However, I really don't think I want an ECOBoost, although it may actually work pretty nice in the smaller Ranger.

My wife might kill me if I bought a Ford, but that is another story.

Curious why you wouldn't want an ecoboost? I just sold my 2015 f150 with the 3.5 ecoboost and that was hands down the smoothest most satisfying combo of truck and motor I've ever driven. Just too much truck for my needs right now but I do miss that drivetrain and ride

Trifecta Tune
Bakflip F1 tonneau cover
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 01:29 PM

I'll be interested in seeing what the Ranger brings to the table but it would take something pretty special, something my Canyon doesn't have, for me to go to the trouble and expense of trading in.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 03:28 PM

Garage
The diesel rangers I saw in Namibia were pretty sweet. Definitely competition for the Toyota Hiluxes we can't get here and blew the Toy-comas out of the water.

I'm with the others here in saying that unless they come out with a diesel, it's a no-go for me. I don't care about EcoBoost. I care about the low-end torque that only diesel can provide.
404 Not Found likes this.

'16 Colorado Z71 Duramax, White
Build-out post
Westin Sportsman grille guard w/ winch tray · Century CC 180 topper · Smittybilt 9500lb winch · Mictuning 36" LED bar · King remote reservoir coil-over front, piggy-back rear suspension.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 05:51 PM

After the experience I had with my 2013 Ford Escape 2.0 - multiple oil leaks and axle seals replaced between 2000 and 5000 miles, 7 recalls, among other things - no thanks. No more Ford for me.
Barny likes this.

2016 GMC Canyon SLE 4x4, Onyx Black
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 07:05 PM

Having been a former Ford victim, even if Ford brings the Ranger,
it's still a Ford.............................................. .........................
Uhplumber, joeydiver and Barny like this.

Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate!
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydiver View Post
After the experience I had with my 2013 Ford Escape 2.0 - multiple oil leaks and axle seals replaced between 2000 and 5000 miles, 7 recalls, among other things - no thanks. No more Ford for me.
But the Escape isn't really a Ford. It's a crappy Mazda Tribute. A product of badge engineering and we know how those always turn out.
joeydiver likes this.

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built and shipped 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiteleven View Post
I care about the low-end torque that only diesel can provide.
+1... Torque is King in the truck market. 'Yota is loosing their overrated mojo. They had the market for themselves for a very long time without any real competition.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
The diesel rangers I saw in Namibia were pretty sweet. Definitely competition for the Toyota Hiluxes we can't get here and blew the Toy-comas out of the water.

I'm with the others here in saying that unless they come out with a diesel, it's a no-go for me. I don't care about EcoBoost. I care about the low-end torque that only diesel can provide.
I hear you about the Hilux vs. Tacoma.

Ford has publicly stated, multiple times, that the new Ranger will have a diesel. I think that it will most likely be the 3.2L that is in the Transit van. The HP and torque specs are almost identical to the 2.8L Duramax. The other diesels that Ford offers overseas are smaller and the 5 cylinder is already approved for US emissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowyellowz View Post
Having been a former Ford victim, even if Ford brings the Ranger,
it's still a Ford.............................................. .........................
Oy... I have never been a "brand" based fan boy, but you only get so many tries and then I am done wasting my time and money with you. I too, am done with Ford.
Mellowyellowz and Barny like this.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 08:00 AM

I have no brand loyalty...for the most part no consumer should, it's in your best interest not too...best bang for the buck.

Didn't like Tacos at all compared to the Colly and Frontier was like stepping back into last decade. If Ford had a mid-size truck I would have looked at that one too, but when all said and done, competition is a good thing and I'd like to see Ford get back into the mid-size truck market again.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailout View Post
If ford does release a ranger with the 2.7 ecoboost and a lot of the tech in the f150s it will game over. That motor is incredible, and leave to it ford to be the one uppers when it comes to tech and features. I think the ranger could be really cool. When I was in Thailand I remember seeing the new international version for the first time and immediately thinking, "it's a baby raptor, how can I import one of these..."
I'd love a ranger with the 2.7, but I'd be willing to bet Ford will be going with something more along the lines of the 2.0 ecoboost to prevent the ranger from encroaching on f150 sales.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 05:53 PM

Prefer Fords styling to GM's. But given my past issues with Ford engines and rear ends, much less the rust bucket Stupid Duties I've had, I wouldn't pay to maintain anything Ford makes if there were an alternative. As it is I am stuck with some F550's because there is nothing comparable out there. But I quit buying F550's with diesels. Ford diesels suck.Hard and often. They will suck your wallet dry quicker than a week of shore leave.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:

You realize the new 3.5 ecoboost comes from the factory with 470 ft/lbs of torque? Tuned they get into the 500s at the wheel quick... How is that in any way lacking torque? The 2.7 makes the same torque as the baby duramax. I would love a diesel option in the ranger, but after owning an ecoboost before I'd take it over a diesel honestly

Trifecta Tune
Bakflip F1 tonneau cover
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 04:40 PM

Garage
I figured GM and ford delayed their production because they were selling so many full sized vehicles.
Why would I sell a 35k fully loaded when I can sell a 45 k truck?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 04:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailout View Post
You realize the new 3.5 ecoboost comes from the factory with 470 ft/lbs of torque? Tuned they get into the 500s at the wheel quick... How is that in any way lacking torque? The 2.7 makes the same torque as the baby duramax. I would love a diesel option in the ranger, but after owning an ecoboost before I'd take it over a diesel honestly
Ok, I should have thrown the "economy" word in there. ft/lb-for-ft/lb, diesels will produce more torque for less fuel. Comparing the 2.8L "Duramax" to the 3.5L EcoBoost isn't really apples-to-oranges, either. I'd be open to at least looking at an EcoBoost Ranger if it got the 20/27 mpg i'm getting from my mini-max. I'd be shocked if they manage that, though.

'16 Colorado Z71 Duramax, White
Build-out post
Westin Sportsman grille guard w/ winch tray · Century CC 180 topper · Smittybilt 9500lb winch · Mictuning 36" LED bar · King remote reservoir coil-over front, piggy-back rear suspension.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 07:51 PM

Just this buyers opinion. I came from an 09 Tacoma to a 16 Colorado because the 16 Tacoma looked just like my old one. However, my Colorado runs and shifts like a 10 year old truck, with fuel mileage of 13.7 mpg to match.. Would I look at a new Ford mid-size that drove like a new truck...you bet. JMO

Chuck
2016 Colorado Red Rock, Z71, 4x4 short bed crew cab, tow package, loaded to tow behind my Motorhome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode