GM Files Trademark for CHEYENNE - 6.2 Reg Cab Silverado on the way? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

GM Files Trademark for CHEYENNE - 6.2 Reg Cab Silverado on the way?

GM has filed a trademark application for Cheyenne.

There are two recent instances where GM has used it. Its the model name of the upper trim Silverado in Mexico, and a performance oriented Silverado concept from a few years back.

Silverado Cheyenne Concept: Mini Mass, Max Performance

The concept was a regular cab short bed with the 6.2, carbon ceramic brakes from the Z/28, and several other performance upgrades. Wonder if we'll see something similar (and probably toned down) for production?

2004 GMC Canyon SLE Ext Cab Z71 4x4

Site Rules
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 03:00 PM

Back in the 80s???? I think, Cheyenne was a trim level for GM trucks as I remember.

Actually, Silverado was as well, I was thinking they were at the same time, but I may be wrong. My 1995 C1500 half-ton had the Silverado trim on it before Chevy started using Silverado to describe the FS truck.

In the 80s, Chevy had the full size Blazer and the S-10 Blazer. The Tahoe package was a trim level on the FS Blazer. Eventually GM made the S-10 Blazer just the Blazer, and the FS Blazer became the Tahoe.

Is it possible GM was just reclaiming their ownership of the Cheyenne nomenclature so no one else could claim it?

What is old becomes new again.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 03:08 PM

Garage
So, does that mean the Cheyenne Tribe and the City of Cheyenne, WY will have to pay royalties to GM for using the name?

2016 COLORADO LT 4X4 CCSB (Build Thread)
DURAMAXDIESEL MIDNIGHT EDITION

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernster500 View Post
So, does that mean the Cheyenne Tribe and the City of Cheyenne, WY will have to pay royalties to GM for using the name?

Only if they plan to use the name on a motor vehicle as specified in the terms of the trademark application.

2004 GMC Canyon SLE Ext Cab Z71 4x4

Site Rules
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
Back in the 80s???? I think, Cheyenne was a trim level for GM trucks as I remember.

Actually, Silverado was as well, I was thinking they were at the same time, but I may be wrong. My 1995 C1500 half-ton had the Silverado trim on it before Chevy started using Silverado to describe the FS truck.

In the 80s, Chevy had the full size Blazer and the S-10 Blazer. The Tahoe package was a trim level on the FS Blazer. Eventually GM made the S-10 Blazer just the Blazer, and the FS Blazer became the Tahoe.

Is it possible GM was just reclaiming their ownership of the Cheyenne nomenclature so no one else could claim it?

IIRC, it started in the 70s. Base trim was Custom Deluxe, Cheyenne was the mid-level trim and Silverado was the top trim package.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 11:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post

You're Right….. Straight out of the 70s when Chevy got fancy with that classic chrome trim and interior comfort package

I remember in high school…. if you had a Cheyenne you were "Da Sh!t"

Deja Vu all over again!

I think they may still use the Cheyenne tag in Mexico

2016 Canyon SLT 2.8 Duramax 4x4 SBCC White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode