• 1 Post By kaiser67

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Warranty denied

True or not? Lift Kit Voids 2016 Chevy Silverado Warranty | GM Authority
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 01:23 PM

I suspect had his radio stopped playing or his HVAC quit cooling, the warranty would still apply.

It was a stretch, a stretch I would not have foreseen, but I can see how GM would argue the warranty did not apply.

I bet that GM is contacting dealers to warn them about installing aftermarket products that are not sanctioned by GM.

I am thinking about the liability to GM & the dealer on this: Had the truck actually rolled over, can the owner sue the Dealer for installing the lift kit? Can he sue GM, since "an authorized dealer" installed the lift kit?

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 01:25 PM

I don't believe so. I saw a clause staying something along the lines that the manufacturer has to prove that whatever modifications done to a vehicle is the reason for failure to the warrantied parts.

2005 GMC CANYON OWNER

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 01:28 PM

I dunno if it's 100% accurate or not, but while waiting for my gf to sign the papers for her new sierra denali ultimate, I asked the sales guy(whom we buy lots of trucks from), about the truck they had on the showroom floor. It was a lifted sierra slt, with 35's and the sport bar, and decorated up for the holidays. I asked him what the lift did to the warranty, he told me that they're allowed to go up to 4" lift without affecting warranty.

Pretty much, I'd say, if the dealership has similar lifted trucks on the lot and you buy the truck with the lift installed, you'll have zero trouble. If you install a lift yourself, you might be SOL on the suspension part of your warranty, and maybe steering and parking/lane departure, rollover, etc. sensor problems. If you have a shop install your lift, you might be SOL on your gm warranty, but should have a new one from the shop that installed it and/or the manufacturer of the lift.

2015 Canyon SLE RWD, Undercover Flex Tonneau, 1.5" Wheel spacers, 2" RC Level, K&N 63 Series CAI, Magnaflow Dual Exhaust, Trifecta Tuned
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 02:06 PM

Your best bet is to have a shop install the lift. Your warranty will still stand. I asked the dealer also when i bought my truck brand new. He said a lift wont void the warrantry, but a turbo or supercharger would.

2005 GMC CANYON OWNER
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 02:18 PM

Garage
Best to get in writing from the dealer that something is GM approved if that warranty is important to you.
Toughsox and CrashFix like this.

2016 GMC Canyon EC All Terrain V6
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 03:30 PM

Look in the warranty booklet. GM clearly states in black and white that modifications MAY void your warranty. It's not an automatic.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 04:16 PM

Garage
I used to work customer service for Toyota and we got this call a few times. A guys differential went out on his dealer lifted tundra. Guy goes to a different dealer from what he bought it from and his claim is denied. Obviously he calls us furious that WE sold him a modified truck and are not backing it. Toyota is not on the hook for what that dealer does. Dealers are independently owned and operated and can modify the vehicles at their pleasure and resell. Toyota didn't sell it. The dealer did. Dealers add the lift kits, NOT OEM manf. The selling dealer would hold all warranty rights to that vehicle if they expressed there is a warranty. Is it shady? Yes. I'm sure the dealer will get a call from the DPSM and get slapped on the wrist.

At the point that the dealer installed this gentleman's lift, they were acting as an independent shop, therefore GM will not cover anything done to it.
maypearl and LQHacker like this.

NEW TRUCK
2015 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 4X4 - Summit White
KN 63 Series intake - LineX - 30" GGLighting LED Bar - Front/Rear Adujustable King Shocks - Bajakits +2.5 4x4 Pre Runner Kit - Method Double Standard Wheels - Falken AT3W 285/70/17 - Deaver Mini Pack inserts

OLD TRUCK
2004 Colorado Crew Cab Z85. I5 2wd
5inch CST lift
LIFTED COLORADO CLUB MEMBER # 123
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 04:35 PM

Reminds me of the Harley denial when the guy had a flag holder installed at the dealer. They claimed the extra drag by the flags cause the transmission to fail and would not honor his claim - Harley Denied This Guy's Warranty For Flying Flags, But It Makes Sense

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 05:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to 100MPG Send a message via MSN to 100MPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
Reminds me of the Harley denial when the guy had a flag holder installed at the dealer. They claimed the extra drag by the flags cause the transmission to fail and would not honor his claim - Harley Denied This Guy's Warranty For Flying Flags, But It Makes Sense
I could see it if he was flying ISIS flags. but come on!!!
What is up HD?
Toughsox likes this.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
But....one can have their 300# wife on the back and that's OK

Also....some "flag holders" are just poorly disguised trailer hitches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg tons-of-anarchy.jpeg (133.1 KB, 70 views)
Toughsox and CosmicColorado like this.

Last edited by dayne66; 12-09-2016 at 05:35 PM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

The airbag went off when he hit a bump while offroading. Sounds like it was a really big bump. Also doesn't sound like the lift had anything to do with it. Either way, they are not going to cover aggressive offroading.
JScottM likes this.

2004 GMC Canyon SLE Ext Cab Z71 4x4

Site Rules
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 03:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premo View Post
No, aggressive off roading did.

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block and diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil looking, black, warranty voiding catch can
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 04:20 PM
KMW

GM had a problem with the Hummer H3 where the side air bags would blow. It would happen usually when going up something step and then sort of rapidly leveling out with a bump. Like if you had your left front up in the air, then got far enough your weight transferred forward and it rocks down. If the rock rails made contact, not even really hard, hey would sometimes blow the airbags. Some got it covered under warranty, some denied it. Seemed to depend on the dealer. And that was on stock trucks. I saw one video of it happening on a trail, and it wasn't crazy driving at all.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by KMW; 12-11-2016 at 04:23 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 05:41 PM

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 07:51 PM

Yeah there's the whole law but it doesn't matter.
They can deny the warranty for whatever they want. To fight it you'll have to bring them to court to prove the Magnuson-Moss. Good luck fighting in court against an opponent that has order of magnitude more resources to use in court...
CrashFix likes this.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 07:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by goleee33 View Post
I used to work customer service for Toyota and we got this call a few times. A guys differential went out on his dealer lifted tundra. Guy goes to a different dealer from what he bought it from and his claim is denied. Obviously he calls us furious that WE sold him a modified truck and are not backing it. Toyota is not on the hook for what that dealer does. Dealers are independently owned and operated and can modify the vehicles at their pleasure and resell. Toyota didn't sell it. The dealer did. Dealers add the lift kits, NOT OEM manf. The selling dealer would hold all warranty rights to that vehicle if they expressed there is a warranty. Is it shady? Yes. I'm sure the dealer will get a call from the DPSM and get slapped on the wrist.

At the point that the dealer installed this gentleman's lift, they were acting as an independent shop, therefore GM will not cover anything done to it.

Yes. GM does not offer a factory lift kit, and any lift kit can void any part that it affects. The aftermarket part has to be a contributing factor in the failure to void the coverage. A lift kit won't void the warranty on a part that is unrelated, like an air compressor. It can definitely void the warranty on any suspension related parts. It's a judgment call, but if the factory thinks an aftermarket part contributed to a failure, they can, and many times will void the warranty on that part. This includes a "chip", swapping out factory lights for HID lights, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode