AC help...speed 4 only works sometimes - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

AC help...speed 4 only works sometimes

I think I ordered the wrong parts. My Fan only works on 4 sometimes my burnt pins are in the main connection behind the glove box. If I move the wires there it works sometimes. Can someone help me with the parts needed for that fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 05:02 PM

Look Here.

War Dang Eagle !!!

2016 Lazer Blue Long Bed Crew Cab

Cut the Dang Wire Already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by WDEagle; 04-27-2016 at 05:08 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 06:56 PM

to C'Fans

Are you referring to the 10 wire inline connector attached to the face of the HVAC case? If so, are the burned pins just in one side of the connector, or both?

What model and year is your truck?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Its a 2004 Colorado z71 LS extended cab yes the plug that has 10 going in and it is both sides of the plugs and just one pin. Thanks for the help and the welcome.

Last edited by pwoller; 04-27-2016 at 08:59 PM. Reason: update
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

I also noticed my blower moor cooling tube is gone......
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 09:31 PM

Okay, I'm guessing the terminals for the Orange wire are the ones burned. For a temporary repair you could cut the wires, get a length of 14 gauge wire and splice a jumper around the connector. A proper repair will require replacing the connector assemblies or replacing the burned pins if the connector isn't damaged.

The connectors are available, with pigtail wires, from RockAuto, part numbers 15306309 and 15306305, but the two total about $60 + shipping. Depending on your capabilities, you could replace the pins fairly cheaply. It would require some disassembly of the connectors. I have supporting information if you decide to pursue that option.

I have no clue what a blower motor cooling tube is. Can you get a picture?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

I'm thinking of splicing it for now thanks or the info. I did get the part with 4 pin s that seems to the more common failure point out and its got burned pins too.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

I cleaned up the ground points and retightened them. Hopefully this all gets me back working. Thanks!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 10:18 PM

This happened to me, here's what I found. Behind the glove box a couple of wires had rubbed on a bracket causing a short. I wrapped the wires with tape, problem solved. Good luck
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

The burnt wires in the big plugs are brown thicker wires. Down under the dash in the 4 pin plug they are blue green. I will wait till you advise before I splice anything.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

About the cooling tube. Its a drain looking plug on the bottom of the blower motor. I didn't know about it till I looked at the diagram either. Is it needed?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 11:06 PM

This is a bit confusing. The Brown wires are the 12 volt side of the blower motor circuit. The wire goes from the blower fuse in the fuse box, through that 10 pin connector and to the blower motor connector. If that wire is defective, the problem should show up on all blower speeds selected. Yes, you would need to repair that Brown wire. If you also have burned pins at the resistor module you may need a new connector. ACDelco part number PT1231, GM part number 15306069. Amazon $22.55. You have already purchased a resistor module?

Cleaning the grounds was a good idea.

In the Service Manual I see the tube that you are referring to. So far I haven't found a link to it. A Dealer might be able to help as they have detailed parts breakdowns.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Yes I do have an issue at all levels of blower power but at 4 if I move the connector around it will work for a while. Can I still splice around the connector for the brown wire? I have the other wires coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart7881 View Post
This is a bit confusing. The Brown wires are the 12 volt side of the blower motor circuit. The wire goes from the blower fuse in the fuse box, through that 10 pin connector and to the blower motor connector. If that wire is defective, the problem should show up on all blower speeds selected. Yes, you would need to repair that Brown wire. If you also have burned pins at the resistor module you may need a new connector. ACDelco part number PT1231, GM part number 15306069. Amazon $22.55. You have already purchased a resistor module?

Cleaning the grounds was a good idea.

In the Service Manual I see the tube that you are referring to. So far I haven't found a link to it. A Dealer might be able to help as they have detailed parts breakdowns.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 06:14 AM

Yes, there isn't any reason that you can't splice a jumper around the connectors for any of the circuits. The Brown wire is 2mm (14 gauge) so try to get that size for the jumper. Leave enough slack to allow the connectors to be separated if necessary.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Ok I spliced around the connector for the brown wire and I have speed 4 again. Waiting on the parts to do the rest of the repairs.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 06:28 AM

Thanks for the update. Let us know what happens with the other repair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode