Passenger door lock problems - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Passenger door lock problems

So I recently purchased a 2005 GMC Canyon 3.5l rwd with off-road package
It has power locks and and windows and keyless entry.
I'm having issues with the passenger door lock just wanna ask if I'm missing something b4 I start checking electrical (not my strongest area)
So the door lock buttons on both side work for locking and unlocking, the key fob locks both doors but won't unlock the passenger side(even when pushed multi times). the doors both auto lock when I go over 15km/h, once I have stopped only the drivers door will unlock passenger still stays locked
Couldn't find anything on the forum and most things I've searched ended up being about Windows
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 06:23 PM

The BCM controls locking and unlocking with the remote and the shift lever movement. The electrical relays and circuit board, that the BCM signals are sent to, are in the driver's door switch module. There are only two circuits from the BCM to the driver's door switch module. One for locking and one for unlocking. If the driver's door unlocks, using the remote or shift lever, it indicates that the unlock circuit is good. I would suspect a defect in the driver's door switch module circuit board.

Before attempting any electrical troubleshooting, disconnect the negative battery cable for an hour or so and see if anything changes. You could also check the connectors for the switch module. The connector with the unlock circuit is the larger, 14 pin connector and the wire is white.

A note of caution: When removing the switch assembly from the door panel, remove the screws and then LIFT UP ON THE FRONT OF THE SWITCH PLATE to release it from the retainer. Failure to release the front retainer first can result in a broken retainer and the switch plates are not cheap.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Ok i have disconnected my battery and will wait and see what happens. Good call on the switch plate because I would have broken that clip off for sure, everything seems fine in there. Well atleast while I'm waiting I fixed my high beams both bulbs were installed with one tab out so they were angled wrong.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 09:45 PM

Okay, keep us posted.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

No luck on bcm reset, also switch on the drivers door looks fine. Broke the positive battery terminal when putting it back on so once I fix that I'll try a longer reset. Also wanted to add that the power lock button on the passenger door works for locking and unlocking

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchnmunch View Post
No luck on bcm reset, also switch on the drivers door looks fine. Broke the positive battery terminal when putting it back on so once I fix that I'll try a longer reset. Also wanted to add that the power lock button on the passenger door works for locking and unlocking

It's looking more like an issue with the switch module in the driver's door. Everything is working normally except the functions controlled by the BCM.

If you decide to go in that direction, the GM part number is 25779766. RockAuto sells the OEM switch for $205.79. They also have switches from several aftermarket manufacturers. Ebay probably has the cheapest prices for OEM or aftermarket. A junkyard might be another option. All model years use the same switch.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Ya I can't afford $200 for a switch my gf will have to suffer. Luckily I work at a scrap yard that accepts cars but no canyons or colorados ever come in

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 02:44 PM

Well, I don't usually recommend aftermarket electrical parts, but maybe you could try one of the cheaper ones from Ebay. I see they have one for $14.99.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

I'll take a look, $15 isn't as much of a risk as $200.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 08:26 PM

Just search with the part number I posted. lots of hits.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

I can't remember when I pulled te switch is the power mirror part separate or is it a different model all together

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 12:24 PM

It doesn't appear that replacement switch modules have the mirror switch included. It is actually a separate switch and can be swapped over. Reference here:

DOOR TRIM/SIDE FRONT
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Well it's been a long time but a canyon finally came into my work and I stole the switches and problem has finally been solved thanks for all the help

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 06:56 AM

Glad to hear that you got the issue resolved. Thanks for the update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode