2005 Colorado Interior Dome / Foot Well Lights Dim and Power Mirrors don't Work - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

2005 Colorado Interior Dome / Foot Well Lights Dim and Power Mirrors don't Work

Hello I have a 2005 Colorado crew cab. The dome light lights up as a red line and the footwells are bright when i get in to the truck for a second than dim very low. the headlight dimmer doesn't do anything to the dash light when i rolled up or down but when i click in interior light mode the dome lights up as a red line. Last is the power mirror switch doesn't control the mirrors. will a bad dimmer switch or the mirror switch cause dim interior lights? any help appreciated. Thank you Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 10:31 PM

to C'Fans.

What is the history on the truck? Did you purchase it new? If not, has the problem existed for a while? The phrase "The dome light lights up as a red line", is confusing. What bulb is installed in the dome light? Could be an internal problem in the switch module.

The mirror switch issue is not related to the interior light problem. Do the other switches (window/lock) work normally?

Start with the basic, free thing, first. In the engine compartment, on the left side, aft of the battery, look for the ground splice pack mounted to the fender wall. Remove the one mount bolt, clean the surfaces of the box tab and the fender wall and reinstall the bolt. The ground splice pack contains the grounds for the light circuits and the driver's door switches.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

I just bought the truck used from a dealership last month. I just got the truck back from their shop because the front turns were not working and the battery was no good as it wasn't taking a charge. They said the problem with turns was a bad socket which had water in it and a chase wire on the chassis rail. They fixed it and installed a new battery but the interior foot wells and dome light is very dim. The power windows and door lock all work even the power window lock button for the rear windows but not the mirror switch. I attached a picture of the dome light. The dealership gave me another dome light from the same year truck which I seen working in the other truck on their lot and i'm getting the same results when I installed it. The door switches seem to be working because when I open the doors the dash says doors and when I shut the doors the message goes away. The dimmer switch turned all the way up the dome light turns on like the picture and foot wells light up dim too. Last thing is the override button is working too as I open the doors the lights do go on and off when I press it. Just the dimmer part is not dimming the dash lights. Any ideas? Thank you for help in advance. Jeremy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161007_070339.jpg (44.8 KB, 10 views)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 08:48 AM

Are you going to attempt to fix this yourself, or have someone else do it? First thing to do is clean the ground point as described in my other Post. If you aren't able to do it yourself, maybe show a friend the Post and the picture and get them to help. Let us know what happens after that.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to fix. I will clean the ground point today after work and let you know what happens. Have you ever seen a dome light lit up like that before? That is a brand new bulb from autozone. Thanks Jeremy
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 10:11 AM

It looks like the dome light is suffering the same problem as the courtesy (footwell) lights. Insufficient current flow, caused by low input voltage or defective ground.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 10:19 AM

Regarding the mirror switch. Is the switch inop in all positions? It doesn't operate either one of the mirrors, either up/down or right/left?

You can check to see if the connector is secure on the bottom of the switch. To remove the switch panel assembly you will need to remove the two screws in the hand hold recess. Next, and VERY IMPORTANT, lift up on the front of the panel assembly, before lifting the rear of the panel. There is a friction retainer at the front of the panel, that can be easily broken, if it is not released first.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Working Good

I found the problem. I unplugged the power rear view mirror and My interior lights became bright and the power mirrors work. Thank you again for your help Jeremy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode