CEL Reduce engine power - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Exclamation CEL Reduce engine power

I have been having problems with my colorado lately. About a month ago I was just getting off of work, and decided to just rinse my truck off. I rinsed it off, and dried it. I drove off, and 10 mins later, while driving down the road, my CEL came on and my monitor showed a code " traction control/ stab sys service reduce power" and my truck started to shake (i guess when the engine goes in reduce power mode, it shuts of a cylinder or two, cause thats what it felt like.) So i stop at the nearest business, popped the hood, just stare at my engine like I knew what the hell I was looking at, and closed the hood. I sat for about 5 mins and started my truck back up no CEL, and no codes. fast forward to now it does the same thing on and off, its like it has a mind of its own. I went to auto zone to see what codes had been thrown, and two showed. TPS, random engine misfire. Can anyone help me? Its on a 2011 colorado w/t with a 2.9l engine.

To truck or not to truck is the question.

Last edited by angant94; 01-08-2017 at 09:32 PM. Reason: To add more details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator

It's possible that it is the throttle position sensor (TPS). I got a letter from GM back in November of 2015 about it. I would take it to the dealer and see if your trucks VIN number falls under the repair warranty.

Hi, I've shared 1 photo via Photobucket. Please click the link to view photos: Photobucket

Hi, I've shared 1 photo via Photobucket. Please click the link to view photos: http://share.photobucket.com/sharepr...hp?id=NDYxNDU=

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods

Last edited by GregDAP; 01-09-2017 at 01:11 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well I checked on GM's recalls page to see if my truck falls under an recall, and the only one they have is for a hood latch.

To truck or not to truck is the question.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

It's not a recall it's a service bulletin #11273. It covered a wide range of GM vehicles from Cadillacs to hummers and other GM and chevy models. Basically just a letter stating to bring the truck in IF it goes into reduced power mode...according to you it did throw the TPS code.... choice is yours. If you Google the service bulletin number you will see that many have had the symptoms you described and had it repaired for free. Just mention the service bulletin number to the service rep at the dealer. Or don't... again the choice is yours. You can also Google NHTSA Reference #10047220 for more info.

The sensor is around $40 and relatively easy to replace if you want to do it yourself.

Mine was also recalled for the hood latch

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods

Last edited by GregDAP; 01-09-2017 at 11:24 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks bubba.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode