Part Number Request: Onstar, Compass, Dim, Map Light, Mirror - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Part Number Request: Onstar, Compass, Dim, Map Light, Mirror

Hi,

I've been trying the search function but I can't find what I need. I want a factory rearview mirror with Onstar, Compass, Dimming, and Map Lights. Can anyone dig up a part number for me? If I have to forgo the Map Lights I will but I want them. Also, if someone could also post the Part Number for the temperature sensor that'd be great too!

Thanks,
Dan
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 11:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Part Number Request: Onstar, Compass, Dim, Map Light, Mirror

Whats your year and all that good stuff? need more information to look up the part # you need.
JoesColorado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2009, 08:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

2009 Regular Cab, I4 Standard, Onstar. I guess I will probably have to forgo the map lights but I figured if I am buying one I may as well get as many features as I can. So with or without map lights.

Oh, if you are looking up part numbers can you look up the part number for the Cd Player? Either 6 disc or single disk. I just have a regular AM/FM and I want to upgrade. Apparently even some of the radios that look identical won't work unless they are of the right part number. Thanks a lot!

Dan
Old 10-14-2009, 12:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

go on ebay and look for a Gentex 50-GENK26A. it is identical to the factory mirror and plugs right in. no map lights though. you just have to hook up two wires for the temp sensor under the airfilter box. it comes with the sensor which you mount behind the grill. i have this on mine and it works great... the mirror cost $229 and works on my 08 canyon with the power package. not sure about other years but i know that your mirror has to have onstar and a 16 pin connector to be plug and play... look up some of my prior posts for more info in this...
Old 10-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks, I was looking at that model but then I thought well why not map lights too? Maybe there isn't a model with Onstar, dimming, compass etc. I'll just get the 26A like you suggest. So the temperature probe plugs into the factory harness under the air filter? Is that right? If so I'll definitely go this route as I like to keep things looking factory.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

no, you have to splice two wires under the airbox for the temp sensor...
Old 10-15-2009, 07:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

How do I know which wires to splice? Is there not a factory connector there? I suppose I should look but I'd rather wait until the parts come. I bought a used mirror of an 08 Silverado and a temp sensor from some other vehicle. Both came with factory connectors so that's a plus. It was cheaper and I am getting the actual factory parts. I was concerned whether the Gentex lights up or not like the factory ones do. I know the Gentex is what the factory uses but the aftermarket ones are not identical to the factory ones.

I'll do a forum search for splicing those wires when the parts arrive but if anyone wants to save me the trouble please feel free to describe what exactly what wires need to be spliced in this thread. Thanks for your replies.

Dan
Old 10-15-2009, 09:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

the gentex is identical to the factory ones. i even went to the dealer to make sure. go to google.com and search for 'gentex mirror wiring'. it should give you a link to a post at the12volt.com. you are looking for the 16 pin wiring diagrahm on page 2. there you will find that pins 6 and 7 out the back of the mirror are for the temp sensor. find the colors of these wires at the mirror then go and remove your airbox and find the connector under there, then find your two wires with the matching colors from the back of the mirror (the two temp sensor wires should go to nothing) and unplug it and stick the two leads of your temp sensor at the plug and see if the temp display works on the mirror. then plug the conector back in and splice those wires together and mount the sensor behind the middle of the grill (factory spot). put everything back together and your done! also i used the temp sensor that came with the mirror. running the wires from behind the grill to the connector under the airbox is not fun as the space is tight... hopefully this helps you, the install is really pretty straight forward.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

not sure if a silverado mirror will work with the onstar. ours have the microphone built into the mirror and i think the silverado has the microphone placed elsewhere... let me know if i am right or wrong...
Old 10-16-2009, 08:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hi, my onstar microphone is in the headliner. The mirror I bought does not have a microphone, the Gentex 26A that I have seen pictures of does have a microphone. I think I'll be ok. As a side note, I think it doesn't matter, it's only preference to what you want it to look like. I think the pin out's on all these mirrors are the same so it doesn't matter (I think) if you install a mirror with the microphone or not. Again, in my case I don't need it as there is already a microphone in the head liner.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.