max wheel size 2005 colorado ls 4x4? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default max wheel size 2005 colorado ls 4x4?

Hi guys, I am knew to this forum and new to Chevrolet trucks all together so bare with my amateur questions.

Currently i have a 2005 COlorado LS 4x4 crew cab with 15x6.5 wheels and 235/75/r15 tires (the stock items which come with the car).

I was wondering, what is the maximum size tire and wheel I could get without adding any lift kits or suspension lifts of any kind? I noticed some car sites say you can add an optional 16, 18, 20, or 22 wheel, but i can only assume for something as big as a 22 you'd need a mod. Will 18's fit?

(ps - i like the look of wide tires that stick out a bit, i.e. my old explorer has 16x8 wheels with 255/70/r16 tires)

Last edited by xvertigox; 07-30-2011 at 05:56 PM.
xvertigox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Good luck getting someone to answer. I asked the same question on here with no help. I just ordered 16x8 4.5 backspace and 0 offset with 255/70/16 I just hope they fit. I done a lot of calling around and have be told this will work. I don't have a lift of any kind. I will be getting them next week. Hope this helps some.
Tacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

this definitely helps, i had no direction before. Its hard to just doing regular google searching.

Do you think you could let me know how they work out for your truck when you put them on? I am not gettin mine till i sell my old explorer so I have some time to learn more.

let me know how that size works out for ya, good luck!
Old 07-30-2011, 07:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacker View Post
Good luck getting someone to answer. I asked the same question on here with no help.

Easy guys, this site just went through some changes and the old "unanswered posts" option disappeared. I have found the members here quite helpful, but they do have day jobs and aren't always lurking around.

I only have a Z71 4x4, and no experience with other set ups, so I would not want to give you unsound advice.

You generally can't go too much bigger than stock size without adjusting your suspension, or you will get rubbing depending on what you buy. One of the internet tire sites has a comparative calculator that you can plug in combinations and see what is compatible for overall diameter.

For instance, I have a 265/75/15, and it says I can go 245/70/16, or even go 18" with 235, but I have to ensure the new rims will fit my truck and its brakes (ie aftermarket rims). By reducing tire size you hold your circumfrence within your limits.

Backspacing is another matter, and I think I've seen 4.55 as the benchmark here in the past (but don't go wih my opinion without confirming anything for yourself).

Just take your time comparing wheels and tires, and price out your options before spending your hard earned money.
GM Performance CAI
Xenon Gas White headlights
Spyder tailights and smoked third brake light
enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

u can fit almost any size rim you would want.......u wanna stay around a 4.5backspacing....dont go under 4inch, and try not to go over 5inch....as for tires its a different story....U should be able to fit a 31x10.50 with no mods....I think....ur truck is pretty much the same as a z71 just not as pretty.....so i would try to stay around that size.....
Old 07-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Going UP!

Send a message via AIM to blurred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacker View Post
Good luck getting someone to answer. I asked the same question on here with no help.
This is possibly why:

Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon - Search Results
blurred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2011, 06:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

thanks for the responses. I will do some more research and ill post back when i actually go through with the purchase
Old 09-08-2011, 02:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

puedo enviarle el programa para calcular las medidas maximas,,, saludos, my mail is farmor66@hotmail.com
farmor66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.