Cruise Control Not Working - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Cruise Control Not Working

The other day I was on the interstate with the cruise control on. I had to tap the brake because of a slow car. When I went to engage the cruise the green light came on and then imediently went off and the cruise has not worked since. I checked the fuse under the hood and it was good. Any idea what could have caused the cruise not to work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 05:55 PM

Check to see if your brake lights are working. A defective brake light switch can prevent the Cruise Control from operating. No information about your truck, but if you have a manual transmission there is also a clutch position switch that deactivates the Cruise Control.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

The brake lights are working and it has an auto trans.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 08:11 PM

Cruise Control Release Switch, item 6: BRAKE PEDAL MOUNTING | Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 08:20 PM

Hi nathan_w1,

I'm sorry to hear of this problem with your cruise control. I will be glad to look further into this for you. Feel free to send us a private message referencing your concern if any extra help is needed. Thank you.

Kristen A.
GM Customer Care

Check out the NEW Owner Center at: My.Chevrolet.com and My.GMC.com

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 08:47 PM

Kristen, why don't you look first before posting and see that there is a GM recall on that brake light switch?

To the OP.

There is a recall on that switch mounted the brake pedal. GM will replace it for free if you tell them about the recall. A new aftermarket one is only $15.00 and it is a 5 minute job to replace it. So you might want to just replace it yourself and eliminate the hassle with a dealership visit. If you go to a dealership leave you credit card at home where they can not get at it.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 09:05 PM

The OP said that the brake lights are working, so that may rule out the brake light switch as the cause of his cruise control issue.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 03:37 AM

Yes, but the switch may be intermittent. He said the failure started after stepping on the brakes while the cruise was engaged. I suggested replacing the switch because it is cheap, easy to replace, and a known failure item on the Colorado. (I'm guessing)

The only other suggestion I have would be to disconnect the battery for at least one hour to reset the ABS and PCM computers.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 12:51 PM

Auto's have 2 switches stacked on top of each other at the brake pedal arm, one for brakes and one for cruise. Either one dying will cause this. $6 part 30 second install.

2005 GMC Canyon Z71 4WD SLE Extended Cab
3.5L I5, 3.73 Gear Ratio, G80 Locker
231,345 Miles; Original Owner
The Insanity Project
My other projects:

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

So it took a while, but I finally got around to changing the switch on the brake pedal. Unfortunately, the cruise still doesn't work. Any new ideas?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 10:57 AM

Are you having any problems with your torque converter not locking up at highway speed? I bring it up because a few months back my torque converter would not lock up which caused the cruise control to not engage. Like Goros said, there's 2 switches above the brake pedal. One for brake lights and one is the cruise release switch, which so happens to be the "lock up torque converter" switch as well. Anyways, I just replaced the switch and the cruise and torque converter have been fine since.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

No problems from the torque converter. I changed the switch on the brake pedal and it still doesn't work.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 07:50 PM

I realize this thread goes back a couple of years, but I am having the "cruise control not working problem". Turns out one brake light was out but replacing it did not fix the problem. Before the cruise stopped working pushing the set button accelerated the truck like the slide would normally do. I am curious if anyone else has had this happen. Also could the off switch next to the brake switch cause this problem? Is it possible there is a sensor causing this problem? Thanks ahead of any response.

I am Gary L at Team Camaro and Team Chevelle
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:55 AM

The switch next to the brake light switch is the cruise control release switch, part number 15109338. If you have a manual transmission there is also a switch at the clutch.

BRAKE PEDAL MOUNTING
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 03:55 PM

Thanks cart. I did read a lot about that switch.

But how about the "set" button functioning like the accelerator switch? Has anyone seen that before? When I pushed it the truck accelerated. Then the cruise quit.

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:23 PM

Garage
Just wondering....did you run it through a car wash.. I have read other threads and one of them mentioned the crappy gasket in the 3rd break light leaking and causing this problem. It happened to me, my cruse went out right after I ran my truck through a jet spray wash, I checked fuses, break switch and then read about this so I took off the cover and sure enough, water. I dried it out and cleaned it up, put a hair dryer on it to make sure it was good and dry, put it back together and wala it worked...just a thought.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 09:57 PM

Yes I do go thru thru the car wash. But the light is working. I did change that bulb a few months back. I will check it out.

I am still curious about the set button accelerating the truck.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:56 AM

That is not an issue that has come up before, that I know of. Points to a problem in the Multifunction Switch.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:25 AM

I hope you realize that the slide switch is a resume switch. If the the last time you dropped out of cruise you were doing a higher speed, then when you push the slider it will re-engage and accelerate to the previously set higher speed. This sounds like what you are describing.

If the ignition was turned off since he last time the cruise was used, the cruise forgets the previously set higher speed.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:20 PM

n9, I do know that. When I tried to set the speed with the button it acted like the accelerator function of the slide.

cart7881, I was hoping it had come up before.

I guess I will change to switch on the brake pedal and see if that works. Then it most likely be the to change out the turn signal/cruise arm.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode