Gas tank over flow at pumps - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

It happens at all fuel levels. Could be almost full or almost empty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 01:13 PM

Garage
How about the rollover/anti siphon valve below the filler neck causing a restriction. I have fixed a few over the last 2 decades. All tanks have to have something there in case the filler tube gets ripped off in an accident.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17
post #43 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 08:10 PM

Garage
I was thinking something more like that too. One car I worked on once had a problem like that, there was a counterweight external to the neck, and the weight as missing. But in that case it was similar to the problem I had with the vent valve stuck shut, you could hardly get it to take any gas. But depending on the exact fault, possibly when the fuel approaches the full level that flap shuts and causes the overflow? Possibly just fine except for that last quart or so going in.
I know how the pump reacts when the valve is stuck shut and what FishSpike has going on isn't how it acts. If it sticks open it has no effect on taking fuel at all. (EDIT plus you get a check engine light no matter which way it sticks)
When mine stuck shut it was just when my wife and I were heading out on a vacation. We still took it and was glad we only had to refuel a few times. IIRC when we fueled the last time the valve had opened so got a normal refuel.

2017 Crew Cab Long Box Z71 V6 4WD Brownstone

post #44 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 08:20 PM

From the 2005 GM Service Manual:

Difficult to fill:
• Fuel fill limiter vent valve stuck closed
• Evaporative emission (EVAP) canister restricted
• EVAP vent valve stuck closed
• Hose between canister and canister vent solenoid twisted or kinked if applicable
• High fuel temperature
• Fuel filler hose is kinked
• Faulty dispensing nozzle
• Ignition switch ON, vent valve closed

Fuel Spitback:
• Restricted EVAP canister
• High fuel temperature
• Ignition switch ON, EVAP vent valve closed
post #45 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 09:01 PM

Garage
What would restrict the canister, saturated with fuel?

post #46 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 11:09 AM

This has been a problem for years on 1st gen trucks. I have found that the problem occurs more often in cold weather and also if you fill up the truck completely to the top of the neck.

The vent valve is normally open allowing for air, or more correctly gas vapor, to escape through the carbon canister when filling up the vehicle. The only time that the valve is closed is during a test of the fuel system integrity by the engine computer. There are a couple of error codes for failing the valve closed test. One is for the vent valve electrical circuit integrity and the other is the proper closing of the vent valve and no other leaks in the system during the test. There are no tests and error codes for testing if the vent valve is open at the proper time. So if the vent valve is stuck closed you will not get any errors displayed on the DTC.

If the vent valve is stuck shut, then air displaced by the gasoline that you are putting in the tank comes back up the filler neck tube and forces gas coming down the filler tube to blow back up the tube towards you. That air should have gone out through the canister and vent valve.

Since you are not getting any error codes we can assume that the valve is stick shut. This problem is not unique to just the Colorados. I have seen it on other GM vehicles. It is happens more often on Colorados because of the location (under the bed in the dirt and dust) on Colorados.

One fix is to replace the valve.

A second cheaper fix is to remove the valve and clean it with soap and water. Snap the top off of the valve and clean the internal filter with soap and water. Also clean the valve itself with soap and water. Reassemble it and reinstall it. It will now last as long as installing a new one and you do not have to go get parts. I have replaced a few of these on Colorados and also other GM vehicles. I have cleaned more of them on GM vehicles. The same valve is used on many GM vehicles under different part numbers.

If you choose to get a new one we have found that the aftermarket ones (Dorman etc.) and the Delco ones have have about the same life span. This is because this is not a real valve failure. It is a dirt or over filling issue.

PLEASE NOTE: The above statements only apply to valves causing burping of gas on fillup WITHOUT any emission error codes being displayed.

While you can get to the valve without a lot of trouble on a Colorado. It will be much easier for you to work up there if you remove the spare tire first. The valve is located on the bottom of the bed just in front of the spare tire.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT

Last edited by n9cv; 03-13-2016 at 11:17 AM.
post #47 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 07:20 PM

Garage
The result I had when mine was stuck shut was it was extremely hard to get fuel to go in at all, not because it was coming up the filler tube, but that the vapors in the tank had no where to go but out the filler tube, which made the gas nozzle impossible to get to flow at any reasonable speed (would kick off immediately), so the process of filling was extremely slow and frustrating.
It did set a code, which I never had read, I knew where the problem was and that it had stuck shut instead of open.
On the last refuel of that trip it was open, refuel was normal. Let me to believe that the valve was stuck closed then either freed itself and was operating normally or had went from stuck closed to stuck open. At any rate I replaced it, that was the last time because THEN I heard not to add any fuel after the nozzle clicks off and haven't had a failure since then, maybe 4 years ago.
I only remember a couple times when I had splashback and was very minor and was when I would top off the tank.
From my experience I don't think it's the valve.

post #48 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Life stuff is slowing down my progress. And now I'm really not sure where to start anymore.

My first reaction is to try cleaning that valve mentioned in post #46. Idk where it is but if it's accessible I'm game because its a free quick thing to try.
post #49 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 06:19 AM

Did you watch the video (link in Post#4)? That is the valve. Free yes, quick, maybe. Depends a lot on whether or not the spare tire will lower without problems.
post #50 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Oh ok, yes, I've watched it a few times. I had 'solenoid' stuck in my head, thought this was a different part. Looks easy to get out, I've never lowered that spare so idk how stuck it's going to be. Good chance I may get to work on it tonight.
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 08:43 AM

It's a bit confusing. The GM name for it is Evaporative Emission Canister Vent Solenoid Valve.

The reason that I mentioned the spare is that a number of guys have had problems with the mechanism, after many years of non-use. Either the mechanism is "frozen" from corrosion or the secondary lock will not release. I'll post some info here now, in hopes of saving you some time, if problems occur. You will know if the secondary lock is a problem if the spare will start to drop and then "hang up".

This is a picture of the secondary lock in the released position. When you turn the crank counterclockwise to lower the spare, the curved spring bars move the lock in the slots to release the hat shaped retainer on the metal tube that's on the cable. The problem is that if there is any binding in the release mechanism, the spring bars will just bend and not move the lock.

This is a picture showing the spare partially down, hanging on the secondary lock which is not released.

If the secondary lock doesn't release, raise the spare back up a bit and you might be able to get a large screwdriver through the center hole in the wheel and using a hammer, "tap" on one of these points to open the lock.

Hopefully you won't need any of that info.
post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Awesome info. Makes me think I should take my spare off now and then to keep things free. I'll take it off tonight for sure and update you. Not sure if I'll get to the valve or not but I'll be closer to it.
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Got gas today. Here is a video of what it does, tank was just under half full.

https://youtu.be/q9EED1_yW8c
post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 09:38 AM

When I fill-up my truck, gas spits out and makes quite a mess. I had no CELs, so I blew out the two lines in the wheel well with compressed air. I still had the same problem. Today I changed out the Evap Canister/Solenoid with AC Delco 214-2324 and Chevrolet P/N 19257603 Jumper Wiring Harness. About 4 years I changed out the canister with AC Delco 214-2147 due to the CEL P0449. Needless to say, I'm a little frustrated and not sure what I should try next. Any suggestions? KEYWORDS: gas spit - gas spitting - gas splash - gas splashing.
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 10:05 AM

I have owned both a2005 and now a 2010 Colorado and have had no fuel spitting or shooting out on either one. In fact, my daughter still owns the 2005 and AFAIK, she has no problem with fuel shooting out at the filling pump.
I ;m wondering if it is certain types of filling nozzles or the evap canister valve that has been mentioned. Also, there have been some where it isn't the purge valve, but a clogged tube or other associated part. I would check all in that area.
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrankin View Post
When I fill-up my truck, gas spits out and makes quite a mess. I had no CELs, so I blew out the two lines in the wheel well with compressed air. I still had the same problem. Today I changed out the Evap Canister/Solenoid with AC Delco 214-2324 and Chevrolet P/N 19257603 Jumper Wiring Harness. About 4 years I changed out the canister with AC Delco 214-2147 due to the CEL P0449. Needless to say, I'm a little frustrated and not sure what I should try next. Any suggestions? KEYWORDS: gas spit - gas spitting - gas splash - gas splashing.
I am having the same problem with my 2005 Colorado. No CEL's but gas splashes out of the neck when filling up. Gas goes in well but no matter how slow i put gas in the tank, i get splash back when the tank is full. I took the canister off tonight. I am able to blow air through the canister with my mouth. I hear it coming out the purge valve when i plug what I assume is the vacuum port. I can suck air from the large hose (coming from the tank) with no problems. Well no problems minus lungs full of gas fumes. This is about to drive me nuts.
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 11:15 PM

This might sound stupid but what exactly is the purpose of the hose going to the top of the filler neck? Does this splash gas on the pump nozzle? What causes the pump to kick off when the tank is full?
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 05:02 PM

I just picked up an 06 Colorado and am having this same problem. Has anyone had any luck fixing this? I'm going to try giving it a cleaning.
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:23 PM

I had mine fixed at the dealership by replacing the afore mentioned solenoid and jumper harness. Not cheap, but worth the money. I had the CEL with my issue, but understand not everyone does.
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 02:10 AM

Blowing back gas without an error code says the valve is sticking shut at times. If you had an error code then the valve is stuck open (which is rare) or it is an electrical problem with the wiring or the solenoid coil. These are two different codes on a Colorado.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode