Gas tank over flow at pumps - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Gas tank over flow at pumps

For the last year or so, gas shoots out of my tank instead of stopping when the gas pump handle device is triggered. It's happened at every single station I've been to. Sometimes I can prevent it by slowly backing off the amount of gas before letting off the handle.

Is something wrong with my gas tank or is something in it broken?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishSpike View Post
For the last year or so, gas shoots out of my tank instead of stopping when the gas pump handle device is triggered. It's happened at every single station I've been to. Sometimes I can prevent it by slowly backing off the amount of gas before letting off the handle.

Why in the world have you not taken to your service dept. for a determination of the problem?
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief2016 View Post
Why in the world have you not taken to your service dept. for a determination of the problem?
Wow, what an incredibly helpful response Mr. Fancy Pants. I thought this was a site for discussion about our Colorados. It would save the site host a ton of money if he just closed this place down and we all took our trucks to the service department every time something happened.

I bet this site just blows your mind, people rolling up their sleeves and doing the work themselves. I'd be eating Ramen every night if I took that advice.

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:

The tank vent system is plugged at some point. While it could be one of the tubes, the most frequent cause is that the canister vent solenoid valve is stuck closed. This is a link to a video of the valve:

P0449 VERY detailed diagnosis and repair video - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

If you are going to replace the valve, order part number 214-2149, not the one in the video. With 214-2149 you will not need a jumper harness. Amazon sells the valve for $20.

You can check to see if the valve is the problem by disconnecting the valve hose at the canister and see if it fills normally.
CrashFix likes this.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

You're the man. I'll check this out when I get a chance and update you. Thanks for the info!
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 10:21 AM

I think the above response was directly related to the idea you don't think it's very important to be investigated-but is actually a somewhat serious problem.

To live with an overflow for a year would indicate you really don't care too much -but a service department could be helpful.

Also, something to consider -if you don't get quick responses and do find you wish to have an answer you can always search the internet forums for possible similarities and solutions.
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 11:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Wow, what an incredibly helpful response Mr. Fancy Pants. I thought this was a site for discussion about our Colorados. It would save the site host a ton of money if he just closed this place down and we all took our trucks to the service department every time something happened.

I bet this site just blows your mind, people rolling up their sleeves and doing the work themselves. I'd be eating Ramen every night if I took that advice.
i think it was more the fact you waited a year to start asking why lol
prater likes this.

2015 red hot ext cab z71
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew24 View Post
i think it was more the fact you waited a year to start asking why lol
Hardly a fact. The first time I've asked on THIS forum.
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 11:51 AM

Garage
My 2005 did the same thing at every fill up, I think it's just a thing.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
My 2005 did the same thing at every fill up, I think it's just a thing.
There we go, some who knows what they are talking about. This is what others have said as well. On other forums, after other internet searches... Finally have most of my other projects taken care of so I'm wanting to tackle this. Be nice to fix, mostly an annoyance now.
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 12:12 PM

Not sure what the analysis of motives is all about. Problem was posted. All it needed was appropriate responses. Must be "that time of the month".
FishSpike and DemetrioGQ like this.
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Canyon View Post
To live with an overflow for a year would indicate you really don't care too much
There's a good chance it's been happening for about 3 years. Can't really remember the day it started, but the last year I've been thinking more seriously about fixing it. I'm going to try what 'cart' above said and see where that gets me.

Last edited by FishSpike; 03-10-2016 at 12:32 PM.
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 12:26 PM

The only truth in this thread is Post #4.

Mine has never overfilled, and while there are numerous threads I hardly think it is a design feature/flaw.

As you have already indicated, follow up with the investigation from #4 and see what happens. None of our trucks should be spewing gasoline onto our shoes at each fillup.
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 02:18 PM

Garage
I've had to roll up my sleeves a number of times on my 2005 also.
The charcoal canister shutoff valve can stick open or closed, either will create a check engine light. I've had mine stick open twice and closed once. It sounds more like stuck closed, but that's not really what happens. If it sticks closed you won't be able to get fuel to go in at all, well it will take like 10+ minutes to feather the pump slow enough to get it to fill, put it that way. You got a check engine light on? I assume you'd mention it.
If it sticks open, refueling will be normal as it is supposed to be open at that time anyways (key off).
So I think it's something else. Just not sure what. Will it do this at any gas station? What if you don't set the fuel pump handle at full speed?

One thing I have learned is one the pump clicks off, don't go any further as this is what messes up the shutoff valve. You say it overflows and the pump handle never clicks off or it does but it's too late to prevent an overflow? Weird problem. Mine has almost never done that, maybe twice in 10 years of ownership. What cab does yours have the filler tube is a bit different on the crewcab (different filler location), may be a different tube.
FishSpike likes this.

2017 Crew Cab Long Box Z71 V6 4WD Brownstone
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 02:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cart7881 View Post
You can check to see if the valve is the problem by disconnecting the valve hose at the canister and see if it fills normally.
I believe that if the valve isn't the problem, and it overfills, he is going to have fuel peeing out of that disconnected tube when it happens. Be careful.

post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 02:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cart7881 View Post
If you are going to replace the valve, order part number 214-2149, not the one in the video. With 214-2149 you will not need a jumper harness. Amazon sells the valve for $20.
I wouldn't order anything until you are sure it's what it needs. If you do the valve seperately (not the GM way but way cheaper than the "correct" part), you need to transfer the tube to the valve, I assume the link above covers that. The last time I did it the were saying I need the adapter, it is possible to find one that still has the original type of electrical connection so you don't need that adapter. I don't know if I still have the number for that part or not. It is possible I found the original "non-correct" valve-only part on eBay brand new. I have replaced the valve 3 times, the truck still has the original hose on the valve, have swapped it over 3 times now. Again the trick is to NOT top off the tank, let the pump click off, then hang up the pump handle, do not add one penny more.

post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 02:26 PM

Garage
To get the GM "incorect valve only" part I think it is for a Hummer H3

post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
You got a check engine light on? I assume you'd mention it.
Will it do this at any gas station? What if you don't set the fuel pump handle at full speed?
No light, I had the code read not long ago by a friend and had a rough idle code. I fixed that the other day thanks to some info on here.

It does this at every gas station. If I set the handle at any of the 'auto shutoff' speeds. It will shoot gas straight out for just a split second, while also shutting off the pump handle. But it shoots out enough gas to make a mess. It fills just fine, even if I stop the handle myself suddenly, it shoots out gas, whether the tank is full or half empty.

The best I can do it very slowly let gas in, and when I hear the sound change pitch ease off it. Only that way can I sometimes avoid gas shooting back at me.

I should take a video next time I fill up, to show you.
post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I believe that if the valve isn't the problem, and it overfills, he is going to have fuel peeing out of that disconnected tube when it happens. Be careful.
I don't see how that will happen. The Vent Solenoid Valve is always open, except when the PCM is testing the system. I haven't heard of anyone reporting fuel leaking from the vent valve. The line being disconnected is the vapor out line from the canister. The fuel is backing up into the filler tube, not necessarily the vent tube.
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
To get the GM "incorect valve only" part I think it is for a Hummer H3
None of the valve part numbers, found in any Thread about this issue, is related to the H3, or even the H2. The H3 uses the same Vent Solenoid Valve that the other 355s use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode