Likely PASSLOCK issue - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 01:01 PM

The only component of the PassLock system, in the ignition switch housing, is the ignition switch itself. Nothing else in the housing has any effect on PassLock. That is why I posted before, that most guys just order the housing with the switch, remove the switch, and install it on the original housing. I doubt that even if the truck was taken to a Dealer for the repair, that the technician would replace the entire housing. Of course they will charge for it though.

Installing the lock cylinder incorrectly might have some effect, but I haven't heard of that.

Last edited by cart7881; 07-16-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

And here is yet another data point. I did a parts search at NAPA and got this. NAPA listed only the one part number for 2008 Colorado and it does have the shaft lock. See the picture at the link. Funny that my old one doesn't seem to have that piece, but maybe it fell out during disassembly (and where did it go?)? This pretty much has to be the issue. I have installed the wrong part.

https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p...331_0239028902

Likewise at Advance Auto they only supply the part with the shaft lock.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...hedFrom=header

Last edited by raylo32; 07-16-2016 at 01:55 PM.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 01:49 PM

Isn't that a steering column lock?

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 02:11 PM

post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Yes, but I think it also locks the tranny at the same time until turing the key makes the bolt retract. Then just the tranny is locked via the cable mechanism until brake is depressed.

My guess is that the parts without the shaft lock are for intended for international versions of these vehicles since I believe steering column/tranny locks are standard and required here in the US. But there are a lot of "rebels" here that flaunt even common sense nannies like this so some suppliers make 'em available. That's my guess anyway...

At this point I wouldn't worry about it if it was my truck. But it is my mom's and she loans it out to my brother and my niece and nephew on occassion. You know Murphy's Law, which if it didn't prove itself over and over we wouldn't have had these locks in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart7881 View Post
Isn't that a steering column lock?

Last edited by raylo32; 07-16-2016 at 02:54 PM.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 04:06 PM

I'm not sure just what the term "shaft lock" means, with these trucks. There is no steering column lock on these trucks, so I'm assuming that it is referring to the shift lever lock.

Bottom line is that the shift lever locking was apparently operating properly prior to replacing the ignition lock housing. If the cable mechanism wasn't damaged during replacement of the housing, and it is now properly installed in the new housing, the housing would be the most likely suspect for the current problem. The ignition switch is the only component that would affect the PassLock, and the PassLock is working properly now. Installing the old housing, with the new switch, should correct the problem with the shift lever, providing it was operating correctly before. It wouldn't even require a repeat "relearn".
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

No steering column lock on Coloados? I am not sure that is correct. GM has been putting steering column locks on all vehicles as an anti-theft feature at least since the early 1970s, maybe even earlier. I have never seen a vehicle without that feature.

But I think I might know what happened. I don't recall exactly but if I removed the original switch housing from the truck without the key turned "on" the shaft lock bolt would have been extended. I do remember having to jiggle the housing to get it to come off and I bet the shaft lock bolt pulled out. But then where would it have gone? I had the lower trim panels off and didn't find anything. I wonder if it could have ended up in the steering column somehow? That wouldn't be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart7881 View Post
I'm not sure just what the term "shaft lock" means, with these trucks. There is no steering column lock on these trucks, so I'm assuming that it is referring to the shift lever lock.

Bottom line is that the shift lever locking was apparently operating properly prior to replacing the ignition lock housing. If the cable mechanism wasn't damaged during replacement of the housing, and it is now properly installed in the new housing, the housing would be the most likely suspect for the current problem. The ignition switch is the only component that would affect the PassLock, and the PassLock is working properly now. Installing the old housing, with the new switch, should correct the problem with the shift lever, providing it was operating correctly before. It wouldn't even require a repeat "relearn".
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 06:14 AM

No steering column lock on Colorados/Canyons, 2004-2012.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

How bizarre. I just googled it and found lots of confusion and discussion here and other GM forums. As you say, the consensus is that they don't have a shaft lock but there were a handful of people insisting that theirs did lock.

So I need to find out how the tranny lock works with the key removed to try to understand why it isn't locked in that condition. Really makes no sense... the key off there is no tension on the little cable, just like when the switch housing is removed from the vehicle and the trans was definitely not locked then either. I had thought that the shaft lock, when popped up, would simultaneously prevent the shifter collar from rotating. But if it never had one.... Oy vey, WTF, etc.

Last edited by raylo32; 07-17-2016 at 07:36 AM.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 07:15 AM

Maybe I shouldn't have included all of the models in my last statement. I think that those configured with manual transmission do have a steering column lock.
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

I just went down and checked my 2016 Corvette (7 speed manual trans) and it has neither transmission nor steering wheel locks. Without having the key in the vehicle I can turn the steering wheel and shift into neutral. Can't release the electronic parking brake w/o the key, however, but nothing makes you apply it when parking. I guess I am a little suprised that GM would make vehicles that could be so easily rolled away. My 1970s TransAm manual had to be in reverse to take the key out and the steering column locked. And I had a 1994 Camaro Z28 (also a manual) that had steering column lock but not transmission. Also, my 2009 Toyota Tacoma auto has both trans and steering wheel locks when key is removed and I had assumed that all or most cars still had this.

So maybe our Colorado is working properly? Can you check to see if yours will shift out of park without the key in? I had assumed the trans should lock but since it is so ingrained to shift to park before removing the key I don't think I ever tested it before replacing the ignition switch.

Last edited by raylo32; 07-17-2016 at 10:23 AM.
post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 01:50 PM

With the ignition in OFF/LOCK position, the shift lever in my 2011 Colorado will not move from Park. The steering column does not lock. Seeing that GM spent next to nothing for nine years, regarding updates/changes, to these trucks, my bet is that all years are the same configuration.

Also, the key will not turn to the OFF/LOCK position unless the shift lever is in Park.

Last edited by cart7881; 07-17-2016 at 01:54 PM.
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 10:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to Wayne Powers Send a message via MSN to Wayne Powers
traction control light came on truck in limp home mode

Ground hog day, I'm sick, and the temperatures just dropped from above freezing to -25, I started the truck a 2010 Colorado extended cab with the 2.9 and auto transmission, got over to the kid's place and as I was leaving bing bing bing traction control light CEL and it will only rev to 1500 and top speed is 30kpm. Oh and there is a fire downtown so Im in a lineup to try and get into a lane to get back home.
Took the other kid's car to drive the one to school and got back 45 minutes later and now the truck runs find. That Passkey light came on a few days ago when it was warm but when I restarted it the light went out. I have one of those ELM 327 bluetooth OBD readers which I plugged in and got 4 pending fault codes B2AAA, P0449, P0455 and P2135. About 3 weeks ago it was in the +5 temperature and I washed the truck and a day or 2 later we dropped back to the -20s and that was the first time this happened. Then I figured it was the OBD reader because I had left it plugged in and I thought it might be condensation inside the ELM327, because once I pulled it out the truck ran fine.
We had a 2006 Torrent that did the same thing and the cure for it was to pull the plugs out of the body control module, clean them with contact cleaner and seal them up with dielectric grease. Does the Colorado have and problems with the BCM and poor contacts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode