Recommended maintenance for a truck that sat unused for a *long* time - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Recommended maintenance for a truck that sat unused for a *long* time

A buddy of mine has an opportunity to buy a 2006 Canyon crew cab that has been barely ever driven from an in-law that recently passed away. And by barely, I mean it only has around 3,000 miles after 10 years.
I saw the truck in passing when we visited a couple weeks ago and from the outside it's spotless with no visible rust. On the other hand, I know when a vehicle sits for a long time it's more likely for things to start going bad (seals, fluids, etc). It does start, run, and drive but it probably wouldn't be wise to start putting miles on it that may wreck something. If he were to buy this truck with the intention of driving it every day, what things should he immediately service/replace?

I came up with:
  • Change oil/filter
  • New tires (dry rotted probably)
  • Flush coolant?
  • Change transmission/diff fluid?

What others would you put on the list? I'm thinking to wait for leaks to appear before investing a bunch of money into replacing the various gaskets and seals on the engine and transmission.

2016 Canyon CC LB SLE AT, Cyber Gray
Zone 1.25" leveling kit, Access Vanish tonneau cover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 08:30 AM

Hope that the truck has been stored in a location free of rodents. If not, there could be wiring problems. In addition to the above, a new battery would probably be in order. Maybe drain out the old gas.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 08:32 AM

I think you have a good list. Maybe add fuel filter. Also check the air box for mice nests and replace the air filter if it's nasty

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 08:39 AM

Well....that all depends on how much $$ you want to put into it. To get an exact list, you should talk to someone who restores vehicles on a regular basis.

Engine flush prior to oil change?? I've heard pros & cons to this and not sure its a good idea or not. Again - ask a professional auto restorer what they do.

Transmission flush? Again, ask a professional.

Yes to the Diff oil & transfer case oil change.

Yes to Radiator flush/ and change.

Yes to changing tires, rotation and maybe even an allignment.

Check Brakes & rotors - bleed the brakes all around and get new fluid in there. Insect rear brakes too - cylinders are prone to rust/cracked seals/leaking.

Steering fluid flush & fill.

Clutch fluid flush & fill (if applicable).

How's the gas tank & fluid system? I'm thinking of the gas tank and the potential for water & condensation being in it...rotting out parts/pump, etc. Obviously...concerns with injectors/fuel filter, etc.

Spark Plugs.... Check wires and ignition system.

Air filter - and obvious one. Make sure there are no mice living in it!! LOL

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 09:21 AM

Garage
Hoses and belts?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies all. Sounds like pretty much anything that's an oil or fluid should be replaced along with their respective filters. After that keep an eye on which seals start to go bad and replace as needed.

I did see a rat in the neighborhood while I was there and the potential *good* news is that they're so huge they probably wouldn't fit into the engine compartment!

2016 Canyon CC LB SLE AT, Cyber Gray
Zone 1.25" leveling kit, Access Vanish tonneau cover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode