Coolant change and flush - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to DoubleD
Coolant change and flush

I just did my first coolant change on my 2008 Colorado I5. I followed the directions in my Haynes manual and all went well. The only thing is when I went to re-fill it only took 6 litres instead of the 10 required. I've put about 100 km on it and runs fine, took a little bit from the reservoir and its still full. So I'm thinking there must be coolant stuck somewhere that didn't drain. I was just reading another how to and they said to loosen the thermostat housing to drain the block. I didn't do this as its not a step in the manual. So after flushing and re-filling, the stuck 4 litres must be water from the flush, and when re-filling with 50/50 dexcool, this would dilute the mixture to maybe 60 water, 40 dex. Does this make sense? Does anyone see a problem with this? Fortunately in this part of Ontario we rarely get temperatures below -20 C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 08:06 PM

The heater core would hold some coolant, I don't think you need to worry about it, you should be good as long as you got the majority of the old antifreeze out. If you're concern with the concentration level you can grab an Antifreeze Tester, they are not expensive.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/16817506?...&wl13=&veh=sem
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 08:45 PM

You never get it all out when you do a drain of the system, even if you did loosen the thermostat housing. In the future, if you do flush and have nothing but clear water that ran though your system, fill half the system with pure Dexcool first (in this case, 5 liters.....whatever that is, you crazy Canadians) and then top off with water. That way you will hit your 50-50 mark.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 06:26 AM

Not sure what procedures the Haynes manual suggests. If you drained the coolant, refilled with clean water, operated the engine until warm and then drained again, all of the antifreeze would be out of the system. The fluid remaining in the system would just be water. The normal procedure would be to calculate the required amount of coolant needed and add that the the system prior to topping off with water. The 50/50 mix is usually not used for flushes.

You should be able to find an antifreeze tester, fairly cheaply, at most any auto parts store: https://smile.amazon.com/Prestone-AF...ifreeze+tester
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode