P0506 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By n9cv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

P0506

Well after 130,000 miles I started getting code P0506. I got it a few times last spring and now that the temperature dropped the problem returned this fall. The description is idle speed too low. Watching the engine speed on my Scanguage, I saw that the code usually happened when stopped at a traffic signal for a minute or more and the RPM dropped to the low 500s.

One of the listed fixes listed is to clean the throttle body. So I decided to do that first. It only takes about 45 minutes. I had never done it in 130,000 miles on this vehicle. After removing the throttle body I found it to be dirty, but not extremely dirty. (I have cleaned a few throttle bodies in my life.) So I assumed that cleaning it would not fix the issue. I cleaned and polished all surfaces and removed any trace of the oily dirt.

Upon re-installation I found that the idle had increased to the 650 or 700 range and it idled much smoother. It never drops to the 500s. I have put about 120 miles of city driving on it. The P0506 and slow idle seems to be gone.

So if you experience a P0506, I suggest that you do as others here have recommended and clean the throttle body first.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT

Last edited by n9cv; 11-23-2016 at 10:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 08:52 PM

Good info. Thanks.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 12:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by n9cv View Post
Well after 130,000 miles I started getting code P0506. I got it a few times last spring and now that the temperature dropped the problem returned this fall. The description is idle speed too low. Watching the engine speed on my Scanguage, I saw that the code usually happened when stopped at a traffic signal for a minute or more and the RPM dropped to the low 500s.

One of the listed fixes listed is to clean the throttle body. So I decided to do that first. It only takes about 45 minutes. I had never done it in 130,000 miles on this vehicle. After removing the throttle body I found it to be dirty, but not extremely dirty. (I have cleaned a few throttle bodies in my life.) So I assumed that cleaning it would not fix the issue. I cleaned and polished all surfaces and removed any trace of the oily dirt.

Upon re-installation I found that the idle had increased to the 650 or 700 range and it idled much smoother. It never drops to the 500s. I have put about 120 miles of city driving on it. The P0506 and slow idle seems to be gone.

So if you experience a P0506, I suggest that you do as others here have recommended and clean the throttle body first.
Good work, yep any idle issues I would go to cleaning the TB first. Great info.

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block and diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil looking, black, warranty voiding catch can

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

What bothered me on this one is the throttle body was not that dirty. It needed to be cleaned anyway. I was just surprised that it threw that code. It must be more sensitive to gumming up than most vehicles. Oh well, it is done and hopefully this thread will save others some diagnostic time and effort if they have the same code.
JScottM likes this.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 10:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by n9cv View Post
What bothered me on this one is the throttle body was not that dirty. It needed to be cleaned anyway. I was just surprised that it threw that code. It must be more sensitive to gumming up than most vehicles. Oh well, it is done and hopefully this thread will save others some diagnostic time and effort if they have the same code.
Yes, on my old 2007 it would act like it was going to stall at the end of a decel at a light or stop sign. Cleaned the TB and it fixed it. And like yours it didn't really look that bad.

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block and diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil looking, black, warranty voiding catch can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode