Will not start after sitting warm. - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Will not start after sitting warm.

Chevy Colorado 2007, 95,000 miles. (small four cylinder work truck), This A.M. (20 degrees), I drove to the nearest Walmart to grocery shop (14 miles). When I came out with my groceries (about 1/2 hour later), the truck would not start...just kept spinning the engine over, no catch.

Having happened once before last Fall in warm weather, I went back inside and got a cup of coffee. After drinking the coffee (about twenty minutes), it started right up. After it started the "Check Engine" light did not come on.

As I said, it happened to me before in the Fall. I had made a trip of about 60 miles or so, and when I stopped and shut it off (got turned around, I was asking some construction workers for directions), and when I returned (less than five minutes or so), It would not start...just cranked. After giving-up on it ever starting...figured the fuel pump had possibly failed, after considering my options and getting ready to call for a tow, I tried once more and it started right up (no check engine light)and there was no more starting problems until today.

What I am sure of, is that I did not step on the accelerator, flooding it, so let us not go there...waste of time.

What could it be and if there is a problem, why is there no code generated that indicates the problem?

Last edited by Bushranger; 12-13-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 02:53 PM

My memory is a little stretched on this one, because I saw it once during my tenure at a Pontiac / GMC dealership in the 90's on a S-15, but I believe the no-start ended up being caused by a bad coolant temp sensor, or a bad head temp sensor. If the sensor gives the ECU the wrong temp reading at startup, it's not feeding the correct fuel / air ratio, causing a no-start.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

But, wouldn't it generate an error code?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the 'ol passlock problem. Were there any other warning lights illuminated on the Guage cluster? Like one that looks like a padlock with a car?

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregDAP View Post
Sounds like the 'ol passlock problem. Were there any other warning lights illuminated on the Guage cluster? Like one that looks like a padlock with a car?
No other lights were illuminated.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 07:51 AM

Your problem doesn't appear to be temperature related and except for PassLock issues, isn't a common one. As Greg mentioned above, the symptom is indicative of a PassLock problem. The next time it happens check to see if the PassLock indicator (padlock) is flashing while the engine is cranking. PassLock doesn't illuminate the "check engine" light or set a DTC.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

If it turns out to be a Passlock problem, how do I fix/over come it?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 09:46 PM

There is an extensive Thread that addresses the PassLock problem and how to bypass the system by cutting a specific wire. A lot of guys successfully applied that mod, but it was just a bandaid fix. How to: Permanently disable the passlock II system.

Since then quite a few owners have had good luck repairing the problem by replacing the ignition switch. It is relatively inexpensive and easy to do.

This link doesn't apply to PassLock, but it has good info regarding replacing the ignition switch: 07 Colorado Won't Stay Running after releasing the Key

A security relearn is required for an ignition switch replacement and there is info for that here: How To: Do a Security Relearn - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum The steps have to be followed closely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode