Tune Up Advice - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By GregDAP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Tune Up Advice

My 2008 3.7L Z71 is getting close to 141,000 miles and has not had a tune up. I know to change the obvious things like spark plugs and the fuel filter, but what are some other things that I need to check so I can get another 141,000 miles out of this truck? With the trucks age, would synthetic oil be good for it? I hope that a tune up would help me get better mileage too. Last time I checked I was getting 16 mpg while city driving. I have a very short commute to work too.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately 16mpg is about normal for a z71 3.7L city driving.

Maybe time to change trans fluid, differential fluid, transfer case fluid (if it's a 4x4). O2 sensors, shocks, radiator flush, power steering fluid change, clean the throttle body and MAF sensor, new air filter, ect....

I switched to synthetic oil when I did my first oil change

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 08:11 PM

Others may disagree, but I suggest continuing with the same oil that you have been using. There isn't an external fuel filter to replace so that will save some time/money. Might be a good time to replace the O2 Sensors, at least the upstream one. Recommended replacement interval is 100,000 miles. The ECM uses the upstream O2 Sensor signal as a primary source for adjusting the fuel/air mixture. A deteriorated sensor can cause fuel mileage issues.

If the downstream O2 Sensor is not replaced at the same time you might experience a "check engine" light if the ECM detects too much of a difference between the two sensor signals.

A good brand name is recommended. If not ACDelco, then Denso or Bosch

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 08:19 PM

Garage
It's never a bad time to switch to synthetic. If you have been good on keeping up with your oil changes there's nothing to worry about. It's when people don't change it regularly and let sludge build up that becomes a problem when switching to synthetic. Only thing I would suggest is to do an engine flush beforehand if you have the time.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. This has been a great truck and, since it's paid for, I plan on keeping it a long time. What brand of synthetic oil do you guys use?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 02:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_w1 View Post
Thanks for the info. This has been a great truck and, since it's paid for, I plan on keeping it a long time. What brand of synthetic oil do you guys use?
I agree with GregDap, change all fluids. Look at the brake fluid too, if it looks dirty,flush it. Upstream O2 is a good idea too. They get what we call "lazy" in their old age.

If you are going to do the the fluids go with synthetic on everything now. I personally think any full synthetic is good. Of course some will go down the road about how some oils they call full synthetic really arent. But, booo freakin hoooo, they are all very good oils nowadays. IMO if it says API SN no worries!

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block and diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil looking, black, warranty voiding catch can
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_w1 View Post
I use mobile 1 synthetic oil and their oil filter. Everyone has their favorite.

Don't bother with synthetic blend... waste of $ IMO.
JScottM likes this.

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods

Last edited by GregDAP; 03-02-2017 at 01:22 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Should I change the transmission fluid too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode