Reduced Power Mode with several codes - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Reduced Power Mode with several codes

Hey all, any help is greatly appreciated. I have 2009 Colorado 3.7 4x4 with just over 190,000 miles. I have had to deal with the infamous ABS/traction control issue in the TCCM but other then that I have not had any issues with this truck since I purchased it with 16,000 mile on it, until recently.

About 3 months ago my check engine light came on and threw a code for a large EVAP leak. I didn't have the time to fix it immediately. A few weeks later my truck started going into Reduced Power Mode intermittently. The day after it started this I pulled it into the my garage, found the leak (canister vent valve stuck open), pulled the throttle body off and cleaned it, and also cleaned the mass airflow sensor. Check engine light went off on its own and the truck ran great for a month.

About 3 weeks ago however, the check engine light came back on and a few days after that it began going into reduced power mode again intermittently and it is doing it more frequently as time goes on. Nothing seems to cause this to happen. Some times it happens at start-up, or after 5 minutes of driving, or 30 minutes of driving. Some drives it won't do it, and others it will do it multiple time. Plus after checking the computer it threw several different codes.

P0106, P0121, P0122, P0223, P0300, P0442, P0443, P0446, P0449, P0455, P1516, P2100, P2431

With that said, when the truck is not going into reduced power, it runs great. Sometimes the idle fluctuates on start-up but nothing like what you would expect with all these coded. I am pretty good at trouble shooting issues on my own but I don't know where to start with this. I have since cleared all the codes 2 days ago and it has run great without any issues so far. It has also thrown the P1516 code again but nothing else, however, has not checked all the systems yet. I have no idea where to start here. Some of these code seem to contradict each other. I am trying to avoid the dealer and as with everyone else I am looking for the cheapest route to a fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbowling0010 View Post
Hey all, any help is greatly appreciated. I have 2009 Colorado 3.7 4x4 with just over 190,000 miles. I have had to deal with the infamous ABS/traction control issue in the TCCM but other then that I have not had any issues with this truck since I purchased it with 16,000 mile on it, until recently.

About 3 months ago my check engine light came on and threw a code for a large EVAP leak. I didn't have the time to fix it immediately. A few weeks later my truck started going into Reduced Power Mode intermittently. The day after it started this I pulled it into the my garage, found the leak (canister vent valve stuck open), pulled the throttle body off and cleaned it, and also cleaned the mass airflow sensor. Check engine light went off on its own and the truck ran great for a month.

About 3 weeks ago however, the check engine light came back on and a few days after that it began going into reduced power mode again intermittently and it is doing it more frequently as time goes on. Nothing seems to cause this to happen. Some times it happens at start-up, or after 5 minutes of driving, or 30 minutes of driving. Some drives it won't do it, and others it will do it multiple time. Plus after checking the computer it threw several different codes.

P0106, P0121, P0122, P0223, P0300, P0442, P0443, P0446, P0449, P0455, P1516, P2100, P2431

With that said, when the truck is not going into reduced power, it runs great. Sometimes the idle fluctuates on start-up but nothing like what you would expect with all these coded. I am pretty good at trouble shooting issues on my own but I don't know where to start with this. I have since cleared all the codes 2 days ago and it has run great without any issues so far. It has also thrown the P1516 code again but nothing else, however, has not checked all the systems yet. I have no idea where to start here. Some of these code seem to contradict each other. I am trying to avoid the dealer and as with everyone else I am looking for the cheapest route to a fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
https://www.engine-codes.com/p1516_chevrolet.html or TB itself

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
JScottM, thanks.
I wish that it would be that simple. I check the wiring harnesses before post on here by jiggling them to see if that would cause it to go into reduced power mode with no luck. I did check it more thoroughly like in the video after watching it and didn't find a issue. I do believe that the throttle body does fit the bill for the issue but I figure that I would wait until my truck rechecks all the systems to see if it throws any more code (still wait on the ECM to finsh checking the EVAP and CAT). I am also finding it hard to believe that it could cause so many codes. I forgot to mention that the throttle body makes a noise sometimes when the truck start to act up. It sounds like a "fluttering vibration" like a buzzing. There is also a noise that I have heard for a while every time I shut off the truck that sound like a frog croaking 3 time and then a slap noise like a plastic ball that was drop in a bowl. I always thought that it was a blow back valve. There is also a smell in the cab when it goes into reduced power mode that smells like oil but it is never been low on any fluids. If nothing else pops up I will replace the throttle body and hopefully that works. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode