Automatic Transmission Fluid Change/Update for 2006 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2006, 01:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to turbizzy
Default Automatic Transmission Fluid Change/Update for 2006

Well guys as I was servicing a 2006 Uplander today I discovered something that im not sure if its been mentioned here before. I searched through all Chevy models and it confirms my findings.

As of 2006, all Chevys (prob most GMs) use Dexron VI automatic transmission fluid instead of Dexron III like they've been using since 2005 and older. Supposedly you can put Dexron VI into a tranny that came with Dexron III but you should not put Dexron III into a trans that came with Dexron VI.

My best guess is the Dexron VI is a synthetic ATF since the service interval for it is 100,000 miles according to GM. Personally I would still change it at 60k, then every 30k after that along with a new filter each time.
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2006, 01:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Here's a little info on it, you can google it for additional info.

[quote]April 13, 2005

GM Rolls Out Dexron-VI

By Tim Sullivan

General Motors has unveiled Dexron-VI, a new automatic transmission fluid for 2006 model year cars and trucks equipped with Hydra-Matic transmissions. The new specification raises the bar for fluid performance and for qualification difficulty. With GM aiming to make Dexron-VI the fluid of choice for all of its cars and light trucks, the ATF market may be destined to become more complicated – and more expensive.

GM developed the trademarked fluid in conjunction with Afton Chemical Corp. and Petro-Canada Lubricants, and officials at all three companies described it as a significant advance beyond major existing specifications. Besides ratcheting up performance demands, the standard creates new hurdles expected to drive up licensing costs for additive and oil companies, including a requirement for fleet tests and insistence that new chemistries be compatible with those that are previously approved.

Announced April 1 and presented yesterday at a lubricants meeting during the SAE Congress in Detroit, the new spec is part of a trend of change for the ATF market. Performance requirements have risen steadily the past few years to accommodate transmission design changes as well as pushes by automakers for fluids to last longer and perform better.

GM introduced the Dexron-III(H) spec just two years ago, but decided it needed to upgrade again to accommodate the Hydra-Matic 6L80, its first six-speed automatic transmission. As far as the transmission fluid is concerned, the biggest change with the 6L80 is that it puts clutch interfaces in direct contact with each other, rather than using a buffer such as a freewheeler between them. Having direct contact improves the speed and efficiency of power handoffs between clutches, but it also requires greater precision to keep those interactions consistent.

“With this new transmission, we have to be much more precise in our lubricant performance,
Old 11-28-2006, 09:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to vicjac1010 Send a message via Yahoo to vicjac1010

Great Info Pimpin'
Under 21 member #2
Louisiana Meet
vicjac1010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2006, 03:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Izzy for the info.

So if I read it corectly, I might be forced to update to this more expensive IV because GM finally produced a 6 speed automatic?

:)
AVT @ Facebook
Canyon08Z71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2006, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Good to know. Thanks turby
Old 11-28-2006, 07:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

It's about time to be honest with you, Ford has been using Mercon 5 since around 2000 or so. They say the same thing too(about using M5 in older trans, but not using M3 in the new trannys) They even recommend flushing the transmissions in Escapes that have torque convertor shutter before replaceing the convertor.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon04Z71
Thanks Izzy for the info.

So if I read it corectly, I might be forced to update to this more expensive IV because GM finally produced a 6 speed automatic?

:)
Well you have an 04 right? Technically your still ok to use the regular Dexron III stuff, its the 06ers and up that come factory filled with Dexron VI and should only be filled with Dexron VI. You can still put the Dexron VI into your older trans, won't hurt anything and probably benefit you more. But yea i think its more expensive.

Oh and its Dextron VI (6), i guess it was soooo good that they completely skipped over IV and V (4 & 5) :D
Old 11-28-2006, 10:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hahaha. Yeah ok, 6... I thought it was 4, I even went back and edited my post because of that!! :)

Great info and timing.. I was just about ready to get prices to flush and fill my transmission. Does GM do the power flush and fill? I was thinking of calling GM and AAMCO for prices. My local mechanic does not have the power flush system at his shop...
AVT @ Facebook
Canyon08Z71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2006, 10:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

It really depends on the shop. Every GM dealer does require to have the cooler flusher for warranty purposes but as far as an entire trans flusher depends on the shop.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

So... does that mean '05 and earlier would benefit from an "upgrade" to Dextron VI? Or should we just stick with III?

Lifted Club Member #88
Razbery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.