Here's some good info on WalMart's SuperTech Full Synthetic! - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2008, 03:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Here's some good info on WalMart's SuperTech Full Synthetic!

I've been running WalMart's SuperTech full synthetic oil and the AC Delco PF-46 oil filter in my Canyon since its first oil change at around 2,100 miles. I now have nearly 13k miles on it and it's been through a total of two oil changes.

I sent samples of the oil from my oil change at 12,765 miles and the one before that at 7,160 miles. out for analysis. I put 5,026 miles on the first change with SuperTech and 5,605 on the next oil change. Both samples were sent to Blackstone Labs ( http://www.blackstone-labs.com ) in Fort Wayne, IN. And you know what? This is actually pretty good stuff! When you factor in the price of $14 for a five quart jug of SuperTech full synthetic versus a five quart jug of Mobil1 for roughly $25 it's a big savings.

I'll post the actual reports if I can find a way to hide my personal information because they include the values for things like the amount of aluminum, lead, molybdenum, etc that is found in the oil sample as well as fuel, antifreeze and twenty some other items. Here's what Blackstone had to say about the oil from the oil that was changed at 7,160 miles back in November 2007:

The higher copper and silicon are not unusual finds in the oil from your new 2007 Canyon. The copper is
high due to break-in of new brass/bronze parts, while silicon is from sealers. We expect your engine will look better in
two or three more oil changes. The higher copper level is typical of new GM engines and it takes awhile to drop below
iron. The TBN was 2.4, indicating lots of active additive left in the oil. 1.0 is considered too low. The viscosity was a
little low, but isn't a concern since it wasn't due to fuel dilution. No anti-freeze found.

And here's what they had to say about the oil changed at 12,765 miles at the beginning of April 2008:

Nice improvement in copper and silicon. Aluminum and iron increased, and that's a little unusual for an
engine so new, but both metals are still reading well within the average range, so we do not think they are from a
developing problem. The viscosity was still low and again, it wasn't due to any fuel, so it's not a major issue.
Insolubles were fine at 0.2%, showing good oil filtration. The TBN read 1.8, which means there was still some active
additive left in the oil, but not a whole lot. A value of 1.0 is considered low. Overall, a good report. Try 6,000 miles
next.

So basically they are suggesting that I go for 6k miles on this recent oil change before changing it again. I'm going to do that and send along another sample just for grins.

SuperTech may not as good an oil as a name brand like Mobil1. However, it looks to be pretty decent even with the viscosity issue noted above. And it's still probably better than a dino oil. I've used full synthetics for many years and I've never seen any sludge or grime buildup under the oil fill cap. My wife's 2002 Passat, however, with 120k miles and oil changes with dino-oil only does have a bunch of crap built up and is nowhere near as clean as my past synthetic only vehicles.

So there you have it, real life test results of SuperTech.
2007 Canyon reg cab WT, 2.9/5 speed/G80/3.73, Wait4Me Performance tune, Stealth Gray, Lakeland fiberglass cap, BedRug, Michelin LTX M&S2's, GM Peformance Touring Exhaust, hybrid Volant/K&N intake and mostly debadged.

Visit my Canyon Bonneville Salt Flats project truck blog at http://www.myroadtobonneville.com
rfross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2008, 06:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Here's some good info on WalMart's SuperTech Full Synthetic!

Nice info. In my last care I had to run 10-60w synthetic Castrol so an oil change here will be a lot cheaper and they suggested every 15,000 mile an oil change but I did 7,500.

One thing I will not be cheap on is Oil. To me to save a few dollars on a Oil change does not make sense to me. Granted the truck has 100,000 mile powertrain and if you change the Oil every 3,000 you should be OK. I would rather spend the few extra dollars on a Oil change then having to replace an engine out of pocket.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Fury - the WalMart SuperTech meets or exceeds all GM's ratings for the oil required in the Colorado. On that basis alone it should be a good oil and my recent oil analysis proves that. I don't consider it a 'cheap' oil but rather a 'lower cost alternative' to an expensive name brand oil. Little to no overhead such as advertising, sponsorships or multi-million dollar executive salaries translates to a lower price at the store.
2007 Canyon reg cab WT, 2.9/5 speed/G80/3.73, Wait4Me Performance tune, Stealth Gray, Lakeland fiberglass cap, BedRug, Michelin LTX M&S2's, GM Peformance Touring Exhaust, hybrid Volant/K&N intake and mostly debadged.

Visit my Canyon Bonneville Salt Flats project truck blog at http://www.myroadtobonneville.com
Old 04-16-2008, 11:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

I may have to check the Supertech out again next time we are at WM. We just passed 40,000 over the winter, and am condidering moving to a synthetic from the Valvoline Durablend semi we have been using. Just to be sure... oil guys... there is no problem going from semi to synthetic? Just don't go from synthetic to dino... right?

BTW - do they have it in 6 qt boxes, or 5 qt jug + one qt ?
235/75-15 BFG A/T KO / Firestone Winterforce 235/75-15
WM Super Tech synthetic 5w30 & AC/Delco PF-61
Duralast brake pads & shoes
GM contour splash guards
AVS Bugflector II
Lebra tonneau
DecalKing Z85 & CF
08 Buell Blast
11 Ford Focus SE
Gun Toting American Club Member #4
Custodian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2008, 11:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 02specv

Go to http://www.bobistheoilguy.com alot of people over there run it and done test on it and it's just as good as any other synthetic out there. I switched to it on my last oil change. Mobile1 was getting to expensive, considering I put 5k miles on the truck in 2 months.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custodian
oil guys... there is no problem going from semi to synthetic? Just don't go from synthetic to dino... right?

BTW - do they have it in 6 qt boxes, or 5 qt jug + one qt ?
You can switch back and forth with no problems. The wallyworld by me only seems to stock the 5qt jug in 10w30, or atleast they are always out of the 5w30 jug when I go.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Custodian - I've only seen the SuperTech in the five quart jug and individual quarts on the shelf. I've never seen a case of six quarts.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfross
Custodian - I've only seen the SuperTech in the five quart jug and individual quarts on the shelf. I've never seen a case of six quarts.
After this input from you guys, I am considering changing to ST next change.

I am already using A/C Delco PF-61, what odo mileage are you at, and what OCI are you sticking with?
235/75-15 BFG A/T KO / Firestone Winterforce 235/75-15
WM Super Tech synthetic 5w30 & AC/Delco PF-61
Duralast brake pads & shoes
GM contour splash guards
AVS Bugflector II
Lebra tonneau
DecalKing Z85 & CF
08 Buell Blast
11 Ford Focus SE
Gun Toting American Club Member #4
Custodian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2008, 11:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm at 41k and change it every 5k, wich is usually every 2-3 months.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtydawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02specv
You can switch back and forth with no problems.
What's your authority on this? GM Service Manager told me not to go back to dino once I started on synth. I don't think he was just trying to sell high priced oil. He's a pretty good guy.

2007 TOTW #33 - LIFTED CLUB #24 - CONSERVATIVE CLUB #43
Rancho 4" / Skyjacker Softride / PA 3" - ProComp Xterrain 305/70R16 - 16x8 Eagle 1378
Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch - Optima Red - Hella 4000 Compact Fogs - AEM / PCMForLess - E-fan - Hard Cover
dirtydawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.