05 Colorado Rough Idle *Pics - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 05 Colorado Rough Idle *Pics

Hi all,

First of all, I am aware that a lot of 05 Colorados are known to have idling problems, usually because a dirty throttle body, or vacuum leak. I have been fiddling around all day, changed the plugs, bought a new Ignition Control Module (one of them broke), but the problem is still there. After I changed all the plugs, the idle got better, but not like it used to be.

I was looking around the engine again after I thought I was done, and noticed this... This big silver metal plate thing is cracked right around one of the bolts that hold it in place. (Pictures below)

My question is this:
1) What is this piece called, and is it easy to change? I am not a car expert by any means, but I am handy and can figure out most anything.

2) Could this be what is causing my low/rough idle because of a vacuum leak around this bolt?, or is it more likely a dirty throttle body?

Pictures:

Sorry, I couldn't anything specific to this in the search.
ssick92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 10:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

That looks like an exhaust manifold bolt. What is most likely cracked (from the pic) is just the heat shied. No harm in having a cracked heat shied. It is just there to help keep exhaust heat off of the surrounding components, to keep things from lying on the hot cast iron surface, and to help prevent you from touching it (accidentally of course) and burning yourself.

IF the exhaust manifold is cracked it can have some minor ill effects on performance, but probably nothing you would feel at idle. Also, you would hear the worst sound an engine can make, an exhaust leak!
08Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.