Wheel Bearing? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wheel Bearing?

Ok so I think what is going wrong is a wheel bearing is bad. When I am driving down the road it sounds like I have aggressive mud tires on the truck which I do not, just normal all terrains (not much road noise). So I believe I have a wheel bearing going bad. (?) The sound gets worse as I turn the wheel to the left. How can I determine which wheel bearing is going bad between the driver and passenger sides. Thanks in advance for the help.
raa199 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

i had the same issue with my truck (2004 ext z71). my guess is that your driver side bearing is out, or going. i ordered a new one off of ebay for $115 and installed it my self in about 4 hours. now my truck isn't 4x4 so im sure that helped the process be a little quicker, however while i was changing the bearing i went ahead and changed my front brakes, rotors and pads, which i suggest because more than likely if your bearing going out, it will put excess preasure on your pads and rotors, as it did mine. any how hear are the pros to the DIY process.
-pros
project cost was a lot less than taking to a repair shop.
- cons
the after market bearing i bought ( click here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-LEFT-WHEEL-HUB-BEARING-CHEVY-COLORADO-4X4-6-LUG-/150666089992?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item2314661608&vxp=mtr#ht_2939wt_981[/URL]

to see it, i found the exact company and part that i ordered) has some issue responding to the ABS. so although my truck runs fine now and im having no more issues, my computer reads abs traction fault.

that is my only complaint, but im sure if would have ordered the part direct from gm this issue would not have occured.

any how two repair shops quoted me 425 and 455 to fix it, so in roughly 4 hours, $115 bucks for the bearing and how much ever the rotors and pads cost at advanced, sorry cant recall, i saved my self around 200 bucks
good luck
jacob4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've experienced bad wheel bearings in the past on a different vehicle. The noise one would be in opposite direction of a turn. Hit a left curve, weight transfers to the right, right bearing is bad. Does it do it all the time, or get worse during turns? Probably a bearing. I do not believe the bearings are serviceable, it's a hub replacement as far as I know.

Also, you might be able to check the hub for play, as if you were going to check a ball joint. Raise one side of the vehicle and try to wobble the wheel. If that doesn't work, remove the wheel and grab the hub and try to wiggle it. It should not wiggle.
08Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

08canyon is right. you have to replace the entire hub. jobs not that bad. one way to know for sure, drive 5 to 10 miles, then stop and if you can with your hand touch your rotor, it will be pretty hot due to all of the friction from the bad bearing causing excess weight on it. rotor generaly stay pretty cool,even in city where you stop and go alot so if when you feel them and find the hot one, thats the hub that needs replacing

2004 ext. cold air intake. 33x285x17 wheels and tires.
love my truck
jacob4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Also to check for bearing wear, with the wheel removed, grab the hub and pull it outward and push it inward, push/pull repeatedly to check for wear.

IF you decided to touch the rotor, expect you may burn your finger. I've bumped a rotor before after pulling into the driveway and it's hot. Generally, you can touch it to check for heat, but if it's immediately after you quit, and brake, it will be hot.
08Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.