p0017 blues need HELP please - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By cart7881
  • 1 Post By NewColy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up p0017 blues need HELP please

REPLACED with GM parts: brand new camshaft actuator solenoid, camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor. old cam solenoid all screens intact, changed oil anyway and still getting p0017 CEL. thinking its a stuck camshaft actuator but don't have the money for replacement. thinking down the road when collie is up for inspection and I need CEL off. its a 2006 4 cylinder with 180000 miles. any non-invasive motor fixes?? Heard using ATF and cheap motor oil to try to lubricate actuator to free it. Also if that doesn't work, shade tree mechanic says to unplug crankcase sensor connector and reset codes with scanner and drive it around for a week to have test data ready for inspection. He says by unplugging crankcase position sensor collie cant throw p0017 code because there is no data from crankcase sensor to show deviation between it and cam position sensor. after inspection just plug it back in. engine runs great(no rpm jumpin around) other than CEL and don't want to trade her. ANY THOUGHTS HELP COMMENTS PLEASE !!!! this forum has helped me so many times with repairs THANKS!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:54 AM

Did you/the shop/or the Dealer, do a relearn after the Crankshaft Position Sensor was replaced?

From the 2006 Service Manual:

Important: The crankshaft position (CKP) system variation learn procedure is required when the following service procedures have been performed, regardless of whether DTC P0315 is set:
• Engine replacement
• ECM replacement
• ECM reprogramming
• Crankshaft damper replacement
• Crankshaft replacement
• CKP sensor replacement
• Any engine repairs which disturb the crankshaft to CKP sensor relationship
mritech likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

the mechanic told me he did the relearn after crankcase position sensor replacement. been wondering about using sea foam 6 ounces poured into engine oil and driving around for 100-200 miles and changing oil to clean plugged up cam actuator/oil passages. Any thoughts?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 12:17 PM

any timing chain rattle or loud noise when starting the truck? if there is no start up noise I would guess the passages are not plugged. thinning out the oil with sea foam, marvel mystery oil , kleen, etc. may help if you feel the sprocket actuator is "sticky", its a cheap try ...
mritech likes this.

2012 Aqua-Blue|Z85CrewCab|2.9L/Auto 3:73|K&N filter|B&M TransCooler|GMTrans corvette servo|Aeroforce Scangauge|Tonno Pro

Traded 2012 Silver|Z85CrewCab|3.7L/Auto 3:73|K&N filter|B&M TransCooler|OPT corvette servo|AVT 89Tune|Dynomax 17749|Scangauge II|Truxedo Truxport cover

RIP 2005 White|Z85CrewCab|3.5L/Auto 3:42|K&N filter|B&M TransCooler|Jet-Servo|PCMforless 89 Tune|Dynomax 17749|Aeroforce Scangauge|Black Maxx cover

Last edited by NewColy; 06-16-2016 at 12:25 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

thanks gonna give it a try. if that doesn't work may have to unplug crankcase position sensor to keep CEL off long enough to pass inspection. No loud noises during start up. after solenoid replacement smoother idle but CEL still on.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 06:50 AM

I also have a P0017 code that I can't get rid of. I wonder if unplugging the the crank position sensor WOULD work. I bought a 2006 4 cylinder Colorado last October, and it STILL wont pass inspection. The truck has less than 74 k on the odometer. I have replaced the the cam position sensor, crank position sensor, actuator solenoid, and changed the the oil and filter 4 times (the last 2 times I added Seafoam). Now the check engine light can't even be cleared with the scan tool. I am at my wits end with this truck. It runs perfect, but the cel won't go out. I also have the typical extended cab rear door wiring harness problem... can that prevent the cel from being cleared? My mechanic couldn't preform a crank relearn due to the cel being on.

Last edited by lilblue06; 07-07-2016 at 06:55 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 11:51 AM

I had P0017, stealership said "dirty injector" and kept putting in injector cleaner until it was out of warranty. Eventually this turned into an intermittent (once a month/couple weeks) no-start and rough idle. Replaced a slew of parts (hey their cheap online) crank/cam position sensors variable timing solenoid, MAF with no luck. At no point did i get the PASSLOCK problem (had fuel and spark just ran horribly). At on point i got irritated enough i just kept cranking while i took a video of the OBD II live data (thinking it was the MAF)

Youtube link
https://youtu.be/xiQshXV5_xo

Finally gave up and took it to a diagnostic mechanic, $100 later he said he could hear audible slapping of the timing chain (i couldn't hear anything). Since the whole motor practically comes apart to get to the chain they wanted $4500 to replace the chain (parts and labor). I figured you can buy a lot of tools for $4,500 and took it home and over a month of weekends i did it myself (seemed like $4500 was a pretty fair price ) Turned out the timing chain was badly stretched to the point the tensioner was maxed out and not doing much on a truck with 60,000 miles on it.... Chain rattled easily on the gears... Drove the truck another 3-4k and traded it in.

Hope my frustrating process helps someone else out...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161120_113543.jpg (236.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161120_133507-400.jpg (15.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161120_123717-400.jpg (14.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161120_123647-400.jpg (16.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161120_182403-400.jpg (23.5 KB, 14 views)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 09:29 AM

interesting, were you able to get the noise to disappear, if so what specific parts did you change? I'm still fighting with my stealership (and GM customer service) on the crappy P0017 repair they did last year. they only replaced the cam actuator sprocket (twice) and the rattle is still present. with only 38k miles, the motor shouldn't make that much noise ... thanks,

2012 Aqua-Blue|Z85CrewCab|2.9L/Auto 3:73|K&N filter|B&M TransCooler|GMTrans corvette servo|Aeroforce Scangauge|Tonno Pro

Traded 2012 Silver|Z85CrewCab|3.7L/Auto 3:73|K&N filter|B&M TransCooler|OPT corvette servo|AVT 89Tune|Dynomax 17749|Scangauge II|Truxedo Truxport cover

RIP 2005 White|Z85CrewCab|3.5L/Auto 3:42|K&N filter|B&M TransCooler|Jet-Servo|PCMforless 89 Tune|Dynomax 17749|Aeroforce Scangauge|Black Maxx cover
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 12:15 AM

The Colorado is without a doubt one of the most poorly engineered vehicles I have ever owned. Chevy knows of the myriad of manufacturing defects, but refuses to acknowledge them. Pretty poor way to do business, imho.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilblue06 View Post
The Colorado is without a doubt one of the most poorly engineered vehicles I have ever owned. Chevy knows of the myriad of manufacturing defects, but refuses to acknowledge them. Pretty poor way to do business, imho.
Hmmm. . . my original 2005 2.8L 4 cylinder Colorado CC LS is still running fine at 162,000 miles. Only engine problem was a flakey spark plug coil that caused some (idle only) miss fires at about 110,000 miles. Other than that, two front wheel bearing hubs w/ABS sensors, a fuel filter, and regular oil change, coolant, brake fluid, etc at recommended times. Sold it to S-I-L at 54,000 miles and he still has it.
He will be buying my 2010 Colorado LT2 3.7L I5 when our ordered out 2017 Colorado LT comes in.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilblue06 View Post
I’ve been GM loyal for 30 years, from S-10’s (2.5L,2.8L,4.3L) to Silverado’s (5.7L), so I feel your pain. That being said I guess I’m also a glutton for punishment since this is my 3rd Colorado and ALL have had engine and or driveline issues. My 2005 3.5L had the head issue and rack-n-pionion “floating”issue. The 2012 3.7L developed a timing chain rattle @ 68k miles and a bed or beam shake I couldn’t resolve with new rubber mounts/driveshaft/shocks/leaf springs/tires. Now my 2012 2.9L has the timing chain rattle. As much as I’d like to bash GM more (and I have here on CF), just google “start up rattle” and most major manufacture will pop up. it’s all attributed to the VVT type timing. Like anything else in this world it’s a hit or miss … GM is leaning more on the miss side for sure …

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode