05 Colorado Dies Briefly TB Code - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

05 Colorado Dies Briefly TB Code

Hi Everyone,

Looking to see if anyone has any info or thoughts on an odd issue I am having with my 2005 Z71 Colorado. The truck runs perfectly, Just hitting 105,000 miles no issues until recently. I can be driving along just fine then suddenly it will die loose power but kick right back in, the best way I can described it is image pulling all the power for a brief moment then putting power right back. The truck will keep on going never dies, just that brief dead spot like a stall. No throttle response nothing but it is quick doesn't last long. The ECM was throwing the throttle body code, I have tested this with known good throttle bodies same issue present. I checked the wire to the ECM from the TBI no open circuit there. I have heard the connector can be an issue, mine is super clean plastic is not brittle at all. I hate to throw money at a replacement ECM, figured I would see if anyone has seen or heard of this issue before. I hate to pull what I have left of my hair out!

Thanks!
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 07:46 PM

to C'Fans

Any chance you can get that throttle body code? It could help. Some throttle control problems will cause the ECM to switch to Reduced Power Mode which would give the symptom you describe.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks sorry about the late reply! P2119

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 06:09 PM

Low voltage can cause a P2119 to set. How old is the battery? Might be a good idea to have it load tested. Most Advance or AutoZone parts stores will do it free.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 07:04 PM

It sure sounds electrical to me. I would be cleaning everything electrical including grounds, battery alternator connections and anything electrical on the throttle body. I realize that this is a shotgun approach but finding intermittent problems is sometimes reduced too doing just that.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I have a fresh batter for what that is worth. I have cleaned what connections I can. The truck is super clean well maintained hard to find hard or brittle plastic connectors anywhere. I certainly agree it is electrical, crazy thing! I will see if I can get back under the hood and report back with any new findings. Happy New Year everyone!

Scott
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:11 PM

I am having the same intermittent issue, however I get code P2101. I am going to try the throttle body pigtail harness fix. Can find them on e**y for about $20. I clean my throttle body periodically and maybe I damaged the connector while I was removing it at one point. I'll let you know if it works. It's the cheapest thing to try first I guess. In the meantime, if you find a fix. post it here. Thanks
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Tailgater, looking forward to your results. I almost changed mine out, seeing how it was not dry or brittle I left it alone.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Quick follow-up on my issue, with leaving the Truck parked and only driving it every other week or so it does not act up. Seems the more I drive it will finally act up and continue to do so until it rests for a few days.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 04:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSnake16 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Looking to see if anyone has any info or thoughts on an odd issue I am having with my 2005 Z71 Colorado. The truck runs perfectly, Just hitting 105,000 miles no issues until recently. I can be driving along just fine then suddenly it will die loose power but kick right back in, the best way I can described it is image pulling all the power for a brief moment then putting power right back. The truck will keep on going never dies, just that brief dead spot like a stall. No throttle response nothing but it is quick doesn't last long. The ECM was throwing the throttle body code, I have tested this with known good throttle bodies same issue present. I checked the wire to the ECM from the TBI no open circuit there. I have heard the connector can be an issue, mine is super clean plastic is not brittle at all. I hate to throw money at a replacement ECM, figured I would see if anyone has seen or heard of this issue before. I hate to pull what I have left of my hair out!

Thanks!
Scott
I'm not super familiar with that system but what about the sensor on the gas pedal? I would think if it had a dead spot in it the ECM would think you let your foot off the gas and close the throttle....ya know??

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block and diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil looking, black, warranty voiding catch can
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys quick update on this issue. Turns out I had a coil pack going bad. Replaced it and installed new plugs while I was at it. Running great now. No more TB codes either. Whew!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode