no acceleration after first start of the day - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

no acceleration after first start of the day

So I am having a problem with my 04 I5 Colorado. In the morning and sometimes after work (basically after the vehicle sits for awhile) the truck has very bad acceleration and sometimes acts like it wants to stall but it never does. Yesterday I cleaned the throttle body but that did not solve the problem. The throttle body was dirty even seemed a little oily or slick. I went to autozone because of the check engine light that came on with this little issue but they just printed out like 10 pages of could be culprits anywhere from o2 sensors to spark plugs.
One thing that has also happened which may or may not be coincidental is that I now have an exhaust leak in the pipe union right under passenger driver seat. Any help would really be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 05:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpresley View Post
So I am having a problem with my 04 I5 Colorado. In the morning and sometimes after work (basically after the vehicle sits for awhile) the truck has very bad acceleration and sometimes acts like it wants to stall but it never does. Yesterday I cleaned the throttle body but that did not solve the problem. The throttle body was dirty even seemed a little oily or slick. I went to autozone because of the check engine light that came on with this little issue but they just printed out like 10 pages of could be culprits anywhere from o2 sensors to spark plugs.
One thing that has also happened which may or may not be coincidental is that I now have an exhaust leak in the pipe union right under passenger driver seat. Any help would really be great.
Bad accel is very vague, does it miss, just not move ? What do you mean? What does it do exactly? When does it act like it wants to stall?

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block and diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil looking, black, warranty voiding catch can
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

So vehicle starts up fine. When I start to give it some gas (pedal) then it just doesn't respond and basically just idles along until it warms up a bit maybe 5-10min. During this time the idle will vary from very low almost dying to normal rpm, but just doesn't respond to the gas pedal. Basically what I have been doing is starting up and then idling down the road until the vehicle starts to respond to the gas pedal, once it does the vehicle drives fine. However a new thing that happened last night after work was that even after the warm up period, at a stop sign the vehicle idled down and almost died but recovered on its own without me giving it the pedal, did not die and drove fine.

I cleared the engine light yesterday and then after driving the vehicle gave me a light again P0300 random misfire. Only other thing that has happened and maybe just a coincidence is I now have a vacuum leak under the passenger front seat, pipe to pipe gasket.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

How many miles on the engine?

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Possible worn valve seats... common on 2004-2006 models. There was a TSB from chevy about it. Do a compression or cylinder leak down test. Also o2 sensors go bad around 100,000 miles. Also clean the MAF sensor. Also if you didn't remove the negative battery cable while cleaning the throttle body then that could be the problem. Remove the negative battery cable for a couple of hours. Re connect the let the idle.for about 10 min so the computer can relearn.

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 01:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpresley View Post
I had something similar happen to me one morning on my 2017 Canyon. It got cold over night and I backed out of the drive and drove/coast about 25 yards to the stop sign. When I turned right to head up the hill I hit the gas and it was like it was in neutral. It was only for a second or two and then it seemed to get in gear and take off. I don't know about everybody else but my trucks transmission does not like the cold when starting off. I really have to drive about a quarter of a mile to get the temp up before it becomes a responsive smooth running auto transmission. Some folks in cold climates use engine block heaters, well my truck needs a transmission heater

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

I removed the negative cable when I did the TB cleaning. I looked at the MAF sensor, it did not look like much nor did it look dirty at least I don't think so.

I guess I need to change the o2 sensors there are just a bit pricey at autozone. I thought that I might get a different code for the o2 sensors...I don't even want to think about the worn valve seats.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 02:55 PM

I've had good results just spraying out the o2's with a quality contact cleaner. $9/can? just make sure not to touch the tips with your fingers.

2012 Aqua-Blue|Z85CrewCab|2.9L/Auto 3:73|K&N filter|B&M TransCooler|GMTrans corvette servo|Aeroforce Scangauge|Tonno Pro

Traded 2012 Silver|Z85CrewCab|3.7L/Auto 3:73|K&N filter|B&M TransCooler|OPT corvette servo|AVT 89Tune|Dynomax 17749|Scangauge II|Truxedo Truxport cover

RIP 2005 White|Z85CrewCab|3.5L/Auto 3:42|K&N filter|B&M TransCooler|Jet-Servo|PCMforless 89 Tune|Dynomax 17749|Aeroforce Scangauge|Black Maxx cover
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Went to repair the exhaust leak and noticed after running truck to see how it was doing that a small amount of water ran out of the flange/gasket area where my obvious leak is. Did not look or smell or feel like coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode