P0017 Code Dealer Situation - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

P0017 Code Dealer Situation

Looking for some input on this situation. I took my 2006 Chevy Colorado 3.5 I5 into the dealership for a P0017 code being thrown. Looking online I find that a lot of people just replaced the camshaft solenoid. After it sits at dealer they call and tell me they have to tear apart the whole engine to get to the timing belt because it's been stretched. I have a warranty on the truck and the guy says that it should be covered but they have to do 10 hours or work to get to it. Then have an appraiser come out and take a look at it. If the appraiser says they don't cover it I'm liable for the whole repair. Which sounds like a whole lot of horse poo since...
1. the engine has a timing chain.
2. I spend a few grand on this warranty I'm still liable for it? BS.
Sounds like they're just trying to squeeze some money out of the warranty company if if goes south they can toss the liability to me. Its a win-win for them.
Should I take it back into the dealer and talk with the tech directly to get some insight to what he even did to go straight to this conclusion and make him just swap out the camshaft solenoid?
Can anyone recommend a trustworthy mechanic I can get a second opinion from? I'm new in these parts.
Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Symptoms of a P0017 will or may include:
•Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination
•The engine may run but with reduced performance
•The engine may crank but not start
•The engine may exhibit a rattle near the harmonic balancer indicating the tone ring is damaged
•The engine may start and run, but poorly

Causes
Causes may include:
•Timing chain stretched, or timing belt skipped a tooth due to wear
•Misalignment of timing belt/chain
•Tone ring on crankshaft slipped/broken
•Tone ring on camshaft slipped/broken
•Bad crank sensor
•Bad cam sensor
•Damaged wiring to crank/cam sensor
•Timing belt/chain tensioner damaged
•An improperly torqued crankshaft balancer
•A mis-built or mis-timed engine
•A loose or missing crankshaft balancer bolt
•The CMP actuator solenoid stuck open
•The CMP actuator stuck in a position other than 0 degrees

Possible Solutions:
If your vehicle is new enough that is still has powertrain warranty, please let the dealer perform the repairs.

1. First, visually inspect the cam and crank sensors and their harnesses for damage. If you notice broken/frayed wires, repair and recheck.

2. If you have access to a scope, check the cam and crank patterns. If a pattern is missing, suspect a bad sensor or a slipping tone ring. Remove the cam gear and the crankshaft harmonic balancer and inspect the tone rings for proper alignment and make sure they're not loose or damaged or that they haven't sheared the key that aligns them. If they are properly installed, replace the sensor.

3. If the signal appears normal, then check the timing chain/belt for proper alignment. If it's misaligned, check for a damaged tensioner that may have allowed the chain/belt to slip a tooth or several teeth. Also check that the belt/chain isn't stretched. Repair and recheck.

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 09:26 AM

You are smart to be skeptical of what you hear from a Dealer's service department. Your warranty should contain the specifics of what is covered regarding engine repairs. What the Dealer is telling you is that the timing chain is defective, but if they tear down the engine and it turns out that the chain is not defective, you get to pay for it anyway. If you are going to communicate with them, ask them how they determined that the timing chain (belt) was stretched. Timing chain stretch is not normally a problem anymore and certainly is not what causes most of the P0017 problems. My Daughter has a 2003 Trailblazer with the same timing chain as is in your engine and it is pushing 250,000 mile on the OEM one.

Maybe someone from your area can help with a shop recommendation. Are there any other GM Dealers around the area?

If you haven't already done so, go to 355nation.net and post your problem. That is where most of the guys that own 2004-2012 Colorados hang out. Maybe they can provide some additional suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode