Starts and dies, no codes - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Starts and dies, no codes

I need some advice on this.

2006 3.5L Colorado. The Passlock had the "wire snip fix" done by the previous owner 5 or so years ago. I've had it for 1.5 years without a problem.

About a month ago, during a rainstorm the CEL came on for a day then went out. I was finally able to get a scan tool, Bluetooth model KIWI 3 OBD2 reader, and used Torque APP to check the codes. 2 historic codes came up, fuel bank and cam position sensor. Those were cleared from memory and the the truck was started but not driven a couple times. No codes came back on. It sat for about 5 hours before I tried to drive it.

It cranks and starts, idles for about 1 to 2 seconds then dies.

What I know so far.

If I listen by the fuel filler neck I can hear the fuel pump kick on the first time the key is turned but there is no noise with any subsequent key rotations. However the fuel pump relay clicks on with each key turn. After about 3 or 4 tries at starting the engine cranks but sounds like it's just moving air and will not start.

Prior to all this starting the pass lock light stayed on all the time. It still is, but now the remote no longer locks or unlocks the doors but it will arm and disarm the factory alarm. While sitting in the truck if I hit the lock/unlock on the fob I can hear a relay? under the dash click but nothing happens with the doors. Also if the door is open and I hit the lock on the door I get 7 chimes the first time and 5 chimes there after. Otherwise there has never been and door open chimes.

Any advice on this will be very helpful. If more info is needed please ask.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 02:41 PM

The passlock system is crap for sure. Even though you did the disabling, it wont hurt for you to disconnect the battery for a bit (5-10 minutes) then give it a shot again. Yes, the system does get stupid sometimes and clearing it that way 'sometimes' helps.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 02:42 PM

Garage
I have had one car (not gm) do this and it was the cam position sensor. It did not run long enough to throw a code/CEL and had no historical code. Since you have a historical code for the cam sensor I would start there.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

I disconnected the battery today for about 30 mins. No effect.

I'm overseas right now with the truck. The Colorado isn't sold in this country, and auto part stores don't really exist here. Does anyone know if another Cam sensor would be compatible?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 04:30 PM

Garage
There are 2 parts involved - an actuator (solenoid) and a sensor. This thread CEL P0017 Cam Sensor? - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum has the diagnostic procedure. Hopefully you can verify one or the other is bad rather than blindly replacing - especially since sourcing either is going to be difficult.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 05:40 PM

Garage
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE

I finally had it towed to a Chevy Dealer here in Bahrain. I explained the issue with the Pass lock and how the previous owner clipped a wire 8 years ago to bypass the issue. After talking with the service manager and the shop foreman, neither of them had ever heard of or had a vehicle come in with a Passlock issue. They have both been with Chevy Middle East for 13 years. Seems like this is a North American Chevy issue.

They diagnosed the truck and came back with the following:

1. The Pass lock wire had to be fixed before they could start. I knew that would happen as a former VW tech.
2. Fuel injector and throttle body cleaning. Looking back this may have been the culprit all along.
3. Coolant and Oil flush. The Tech said he found water in the oil. I check the coolant weekly because of the high heat and humidity here. I've never had to add any other than when it was drained for coolant hose replacement. My guess is it was condensation from sitting for a month+ without running.

The service manager is calling it fixed as it runs without stalling. However, he said if the problem comes back then it will require a complete rebuild of the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode