HELP! LOL Horrible noise from timing chain area. Lost of slack... - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cart7881

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

HELP! LOL Horrible noise from timing chain area. Lost of slack...

Hey all. I have an 05 with the 4 cycl. Nearly 300K on it. I changed the oil all the time and have kept up with it pretty well.
I'd say the last month or so when I'd start it there was a sound that I'd attribute to like empty lifters pumping up. After a few seconds the sounds would go away and it would run fine. Then about a week ago it started to stay longer and longer and now it does it all the time at low idle. But if I'm driving and the RPM goes above 2000 it goes away. Drop below 2000 it is like a switch, right back on. It sounds horrible. I have a video here. https://youtu.be/s208FAIwWOQ

It sounds like it is coming front the front of the engine. You put your hand on it and you can feel the vibration of the sound. If you open the oil cap while running it is pulsing air out in sync to that sound.

So I had the front cover removed so we can look down in there and the timing chain seems loose but I don't see anything else could be causing this. Any ideas? At 300K should I replace the timing chain while it is apart? https://youtu.be/mhoFsoLSKZk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 05:17 PM

to C'Fans.

The video doesn't show the front cover off, just the Camshaft Cover. Something is definitely worn or broken that tensions the chain. There is the tensioner and two guides behind the front cover. The guides are a plastic material and may have worn through.

You are looking at major disassembly to fix this, so you might as well replace anything that is behind the front cover i.e. the chain, sprockets, actuator, guides and tensioner. Probably would be a good idea to replace the harmonic balancer as well. I am pretty sure the balancer bolt is a "one time use" item.

The oil pan will have to come off in order to remove the front cover as the oil pickup tube is bolted to the front cover.

I sent you a PM.
Toughsox likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Well, luckily this wouldn't be the first time I tore into an engine that deep. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode