09 2.9 70k miles *PINGING* - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

09 2.9 70k miles *PINGING*

I am going to try to be as thorough as possible.
If i had to pick a time it started i would have to say the time i put a CAI and muffler on it. It seems to only ping at full operating temp. Also seems to go away if I give more gas. So example going uphill 3rd gear just over 2k rpm, say quarter throttle is pinging like crazy...if i go 3/4, full throttle it either is totally gone or no where near as bad.

As far as engine light...it used to come and go quite often...no rhyme or reason...no noticeable difference in performance. over the winter it was on almost whole time. Now that its warmer it comes and goes like before. code is p0171 bank 1 running lean. i want to say a long time ago it was p0420 which i think was also bank 1 running lean.

So...once i had a tech confirm it was ping, i used some combustion cleaner on it..( spray in tb while running....let sit for 10 or 15 min then start and smoke like a train ). I then put premium gas (91 octane) in it...maybe made slightly better but still very much there. Next day i cleaned the air filter and checked the hose going to the intake tube from crank case. it was clean and not broken. Next day changed the plugs...they where all whiteish and smelled pretty bad and burnt..and these plugs only had maybe 3 or 4k on them...AC delco profesional iridiums...warrantied and replaced. I noticed after the cleaning that the truck will idle higher when out of gear and coasting....so rolling 20 or 30mph neutral clutch in...its around 1k...clutch out in nuetral it goes to right below 2k..dont know if this matters but its annoying and didnt do it before.

This is where i get somewhere....I forgot to plug back in the MAF sensor and tried to get it to ping on the way home...it barely pinged if at all. I later cleared the code and plugged it back in and filled up again with 91 octane and put a bottle of techron since ive seen that used alot with this issue. Still same ol pinging and code...so today i cleared the code and i unplugged the MAF and drove back to work...its noticeably better

So before i go further i would like some collective expertise and input on where to start...cause im seeing anywhere from the maniverter to MAF or 02 sensor. Ontop of i ran into alot of these same issues from others and no clear resolutions...thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 07:34 PM

Have you tried restoring the intake system to OEM configuration? Maybe try a new Knock Sensor. They aren't that expensive: https://smile.amazon.com/ACDelco-213...words=12570125
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

i do have the stock airbox and all but i do like the performance difference with the CAI...just not the pinging. I could try a knock sensor first since that seems to be the cheapest start.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:48 AM

Well, if you reinstalled the original intake and the problem remained, that would rule out the CAI as the cause. Or if the problem went away that would be a clue also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode