LATEST P0300 FIX, NEW HEAD & EXT. WARRANTY Updated 08/18 - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 791 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to turbizzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon04Z71
Any scoring on the camshaft lobes? My repair has turned upside down waiting for replacement cams. Intake cam was chewed up.

What would cause scroing on the camshaft lobes in your opinion?
Lack of lubrication, possible bad oil path. One thing i did notice when removing the cams that, and this is pretty obvious procedure, if you dont remove the cam bearing caps in a circular order the cam can warp. This almost happened to us, i was literally watching the intake came start warping then we caught it. I wonder if they're just covering up a screwup.

Other than that anything like dirt or metal could cause scoring in cam bearings or possible manufacturer defect. Who knows. But lack of lube is a big one.

EDIT: I just reread and realized you were talking about cam lobes. Umm yeah what DBNissan said could be it or possibly some dirt/metal caught between roller and lobe?

Izzy 2005 Black CrewCab SS wannabe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 791 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 06:36 PM
Senior Administrator

Garage
Thanks Izzy, Excellent pictures.
Very Cool tell us more!
post #23 of 791 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

New pics.

post #24 of 791 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Senior Administrator

Garage
Maybe you should have just removed the engine. Is there anything other than the crank left from the tare down?
post #25 of 791 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermodulation
Maybe you should have just removed the engine. Is there anything other than the crank left from the tare down?
LMAO, i know! Its ok though, after tomorrow when we finally finish this I5 up, we'll startup on the I4 thats waiting its turn next, ugh! And a 3rd Coly just came in today with a misfire. Didn't get to it today but im pretty sure we all know what its gonna be.

Umm gee what was left....... block, motor mounts lol? I aint pullin shiznit for a while, i just got done doing a brand new VQ40DE 4.0 new Pathfinder shortblock so no more heavyline crap for a while!!!

post #26 of 791 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 11:12 PM
Senior Administrator

Garage
WOW that's alot of work and you make it sound so easy. Does the I-5 use gaskets? Does the I-5 use head gaskets? Looking at the bottom of the I-5, the crank caps are huge.
What is the most common problems do you see with the I-5's?
post #27 of 791 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Well to be quite honest, and i know you hear this alll the time, but its just nuts and bolts. You just gotta have the right screwdriver for the job and instructions, torque specs, etc. It is easy, its just getting around stuff like the steering, brake booster stuff like that makes it hard to put your screwdriver on sorta speak.

Umm yea the I5 uses gaskets, lol. There's a metal headgasket, intake gasket, exhaust manifold gasket and i think water pump can't remember. Basically RTV gets put on the timing chain cover and oil pan.

The I5 does have a pretty beefy main cap girdle. Im seeing alot of that on alot of new stuff with aluminum engines.

Don't really see too many 355s in the shop too often, guess thats a good thing. Our shop does mostly trucks, SUVs, G-Vans etc. Very few cars, mainly Venture vans more than cars. But I have seen a few 355s in for water leaks from roof, and in the summer A/C not cold enough. Other than the whole misfire ordeal nothing really on the motor. We really only see 355s when Enterprise car rental brings them over for maintenance stuff. I think there have been a total of less than 20 Colys from real owners in our shop to date, lol.

post #28 of 791 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 08:10 AM

Turbizzy & DBnissan thanks for the input on my problem.

How long did that head job take to complete (actual time)?
post #29 of 791 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 05:45 PM

Wanna know what I think? The missfire is caused by carbom buildup keeping the valves from sealing properly and not being "self-cleaning" because of the excessively rich conditions the ECU puts the engine under on 87 octane, the recommended fuel.

I'm running 93 in mine from here out. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

2004 Colorado ZQ8 - I5, M5, Regular cab - 209.9whp/210.7wtq
1986 Mustang GT - V8, M5 - 213.0whp/279.2wtq
post #30 of 791 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 07:59 PM
CALI-BOSS

I've been running the 91 octane exclusively now for about 10k miles and have Iridium plugs for the last 5k miles and I still show excessive carbon build-up on my exhaust tips. I'm gonna start adding a valve/combustion chamber cleaner like BG44K every 5k and hope it helps.

post #31 of 791 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 08:07 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Prydain
Just got my truck back today with the new valves. The tech there said that they had done two valve jobs including mine. This is in a town of ~90,000 (with students).

'04 Z71 EXT Cab 2wd, I5, Auto, Mods: Green Filter
31x10.50x15 BFG TKOs
http://photobucket.com/albums/y179/Prydain/Colorado/
post #32 of 791 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 08:23 PM

Any noticeable improvement??
post #33 of 791 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Not exactly sure on what warranty time is, i think its somewhere around 18 hours. It took us about 20 hours or so, not too shabby for a first time head job in our shop.

As far as the 87 being too dirty or whatever, im no expert but i highly doubt its because of that but whatever. How do we know these peeps in my shop aren't running 91 or whatever?

post #34 of 791 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 10:10 PM
Senior Administrator

Garage
Hmmm Good point. What is their driving habits? Short or long daily driving. I like to take my Canyon out on the highway to blow out any loose carbs. Don't really know if that works on these new engines. My Dad use to do that on his old cars.
post #35 of 791 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Well i wide open throttle my engine about twice a day at the minimun so im pretty sure my carbon buildup is close to none, lol. I bet its all the gas saving, slow driving, barely stepping on the gas driving guys thatll get carbon buildup.

post #36 of 791 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 02:27 AM
CALI-BOSS

Hey Izz, any explanation on the carbon biuld-up on the exhaust tip(s)? I wot mine at least a couple times a day just to get on the freeway.

post #37 of 791 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbizzy
Quote:

Not exactly sure on what warranty time is, i think its somewhere around 18 hours. It took us about 20 hours or so, not too shabby for a first time head job in our shop.

As far as the 87 being too dirty or whatever, im no expert but i highly doubt its because of that but whatever. How do we know these peeps in my shop aren't running 91 or whatever?
That was quick work! My friends shop had it listed for 26 hours and GMC said 30 hrs for the I5.

I feel bad that I got labeled with the 87 octane in your quote. :) That is just mis-information. There are plenty of threads of that around here about octane and everyones hypothesis. It should not be associated with your repair. Your repair is for a mechanical defect in the head, not a repair based on octane usuage! I know you were replying to that other guy...

If GMC thought my problem (similar to this one) was with octane, I would have my truck right now, and they would not be pouring in $4000 to fix it mechanically.
post #38 of 791 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Its all good, i was responding to Fivepointslow (Slo86GT) comment about octane being the cause of carbon buildup on the intake valves. Im not exactly sure what the difference is between the new head and old but ill try to find out. My guess is different valve seats or something.

Wow, GM said they cover 30 hours of labor? Can you ask him what the "op code(s)" are they used to get that many hourse im curiuos to say what all they can claim. 30 hours seems a little to lenient for a head job but who knows. But yea you gotta pull off brackets, intake, valve cover, hoses, harness, fuel lines, crank pulley, waterpump, timing cover, oil pan and each cam sprocket. The VVTi exhaust cam sprocket won't come off without removing the exhaust cam as there isn't enough room inside the head as you can see.

DB: Not really sure what to tell ya, i guess i'd have to see what your definition of excessive carbon buildup on the exhaust tips would be. Not sure if it just has to do with your aftermarket tip (thinking like a dealer tech, lol) in a way that it may trap the fumes if you got one of those rolled tips. I'd have to see it, see if its smooth or what. Looking at my stock tip, i can see plenty of black buildup around the tip's end, about 1 inch up outside the end. Maybe its just normal or sumthing.

post #39 of 791 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 09:56 PM

I will give it a shot to ask him how he charged it out to GM.. The service manager said the head shipped to him in peices and he sent it out to be assembled..? He did say 10 hrs to disassemble and 10 hrs to reassemble.. So maybe that other 10 is caught up in assembly of the head?
post #40 of 791 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Wow, 10 hours to assemble a bare head? Why didn't they do it in the shop? You don't need to sublet it to a machine shop, its just valves, springs and seals. Hmmm, 10 hours just for that sounds awesome!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode