LATEST P0300 FIX, NEW HEAD & EXT. WARRANTY Updated 08/18 - Page 40 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #781 of 788 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyBruisy View Post
I feel that I am about to find out why my truck was so cheap: I just bought an '05 with the I5, and knew about the head issues going in but understood they generally only affected low-miles engines (mine has 147K). Clean Carfax, it was a lease vehicle until 2008 so all its services during that period were documented. ~250 or so miles into ownership, it threw a check engine light and is posting the dreaded codes P300 and P304 (random misfire and Cyl 4 misfire), along with some other stuff (PO128 for the thermostat, U1026 T-case communication, PO455 Evap/Emission system leak). My question is, CAN the head issue manifest at such a venerable mileage? And if the head is deemed defective, will GM do the TSB-related work at their expense, or does it cost money? If the latter, does anyone who's been through this know approximately how much it costs (say in the worst-case scenario, if it needed the head replaced)? Please forgive as I haven't read through the whole thread yet. Working my way through it in scraps of time at work, any feedback in the meantime would be appreciated.

Thanks!
SB

I can't say for sure in your case but my understanding is you're probably beyond the qualifying mileage for GM to cover the cost of the replacement head ....(if that would resolve the problem(s) you're having).

In my case the head was replaced at 6700 miles under warranty. I have 114k miles on the truck now and it's in having another head replacement, this time on my dime. The truck is still at the dealer but the estimate they quoted me for replacing the head is $2859.

It's a lot of money to spend, in my case, on a 10 year old vehicle and there's no telling how long this head will last. I've taken good care of the truck over the years and a new one is 10x the price of a new head.... so fingers and toes.... Good luck.

2006/extended cab/I4/4x4/MT/bare bones
2010 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2013 Kubota M5640 SUD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 788 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 10:14 AM

The Colorado in my avatar is a 2005 I4. It is my understanding the extended warranty was to 7 years, thus coverage ended in 2012, long ago. Said directly, I believe you do not have any warranty coverage (there may have also been a mileage limit to the warranty)

I traded my 2005 in on a 2016 Colorado. My 2005 had about 25,000 miles on it and I was concerned it would develop a head failure. I decided to trade for new, took a beating the trade in value, but the Colorado is selling well enough dealers are not making great deals. My truck was sold by the dealer in about 10 days. So there is a demand still. No doubt the low mileage and clean/cherry look helped it sell. The dealer made a quick $4K on my truck, I'm talking over trade-in paid to me. He had other costs including the custom's grief if/when the head fails.

Hope you find an affordable solution.

Last edited by Jerry_NJ; 01-28-2016 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Typo and comment about my trade-in at end of second paragraph
post #783 of 788 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 04:07 PM

Thanks, all. I'm going to try plugs and some other basic miscellaneous tune-up first, as well as changing the No 4 coil pack, to see if that addresses the misfire. If that fails, the next stop is the stealership for a more in-depth diagnosis.
post #784 of 788 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 07:03 PM

I got my truck back last night after the dealer replaced the cylinder head. and this morning found the four wheel drive, both high and low isn't working. It was working a few weeks ago. Could this be related to the head replacement work?

2010 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2013 Kubota M5640 SUD
post #785 of 788 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 11:12 PM

My 2007 canyon 2.9 has the same problem as the 2004-2006 2.8. They never corrected the problem properly, the valves are still leaking. So i called Customer care (GM Canada) after two days of talking on the phone and explaining my problem. They do NOT want to help out and pay a balance of the repairs which come up too 3300$. Ive got to say this is one of the worst company i've ever seen. They clearly don't want to help out nobody.
Its crazy my truck only has 82000km (50000 miles). It doesn't make any sense that a 30k truck is already scrapped. i would understand if i had high mileage but this motor is hardy broken in.
post #786 of 788 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 07:33 AM

One would think that to keep and grow market share in such a competitive environment they'd correct these defects. I'm on my third head w/114k miles.

2010 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2013 Kubota M5640 SUD
post #787 of 788 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 10:16 AM

Ah Crap! I just found out I need another head replacement on my 2006 Canyon after having mine replaced in August of 2012 under the SP# 07123A ... Doesn't look like they will they pay for another one .... I'm trying though ...
post #788 of 788 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 03:49 PM

This is curious, but I thought I'd post it in case it helps others rule any contributing factors out before going in for head work. Since I got my Colorado (2005, 3.5L) in January, I'd had intermittent CELs with mostly P300s and P304 codes. After changing a coil pack and all plugs, running some fuel injector cleaner, and cleaning everything out including the throttle body and mass airflow sensor, it was still occasionally throwing (about once a week). My mechanic suggested running a tank of good gas through it as an experiment, so I filled it up with Chevron/Techron (87 octane only) and the light stayed off. Ran another tank through it and it stayed off some more. Switched back to my cheap gas (I get the 87 octane from the QFC/Kroger grocery chain), and by gum, at the end of the second tank of that it threw a CEL again (same codes). I reset the light and switched to Chevron again and it stayed off. But I get a points discount for gas at the QFC and was really sad about the idea of my working truck being a gas snob and needing precious Chevron juice, which tends to run up to 60 cents a gallon more than the QFC stuff, so for the next tank I upgraded to QFC's 89 octane (still way cheaper than Chevron). The light has not come back on and I've gone through about 3 tanks of that now.

So I think my Colorado was just trying to tell me wanted higher-quality and/or higher-octane gas. I suspect the QFC 87 (or ethanol/water/other contamination therein) was just making it ping and causing it to throw codes. I feel that the truck and I have reached an appropriate compromise on the QFC 89 - I still get my points discount, and the truck gets something other than the cheapest, most horrible fuel on the market.

Experimenting with gas octane and/or brand might therefore be a thing to try if you're getting these codes.

Cheers,
SB
Spad likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode