"Reduced Power" Check engine light? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2007, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to NCRado89
Default "Reduced Power" Check engine light?

Hey yall, today when i was driving on my way back from work, my truck started beeping from the dash. I looked down at the dash and the check engine light was on and on the display if said "Reduced Power". I was driving on a level surface at the time so i just said to myself "ill get home and take it to the dealership in the morning". Then i started driving up a hill and with my foot to the floor i didnt achieve a speed any higher than 45mph. I havent had any problems with my truck thus far. I drive a 2006 I5 Z71 4x4 with about 8000 miles on it. Has anyone had this problem or know what this is from. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
33x12.50x15 Mickey Thompson MTZ's
Cobra CB Radio with Wilson 1000 antenna and whip antenna
Lifted Colorado/Canyon club #87
NCRado89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2007, 03:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

back when i had my 2005 crew 3.5 auto, if i floored it and start spinning for too long it would say reduced power; i think it was part of traction control or something. hope this helps.
-John 3:16

The price for your and my sins is already paid.
crewcabcolley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2007, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

My 2005 Canyon has approx. 61000 on it. I drive about 105 miles round trip to work daily along curvy mountain roads, except for about 20 miles of road I can really open up on. This morning while enroute to work I pulled out to pass a vehicle, I was going about 55, when I punched the gas the engine lost power and the "Reduced Power" message came on . I pulled to the side of the road and the truck wouldn't get any faster than 10 mph. Although I didn't hear anything break in the engine I thought I had busted it. I shut the engine off and then restarted it and it was still the same. Shut it off again and started looking in the manual and it stated to push the pin on the dash in to reset the message. I had sat there about 5 minutes and refired the truck at which time it started fine and the message light was off. I took back off and the truck run great and I didn't have any other problems. I've always run the truck pretty hard and this is the first time this has happened, never had any other problems. I am curious on why this happened. Any information is welcomed.
Lesnes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2007, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Isnt that considered limp mode?
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2007, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Stepdaddy

yes...I have had case or 10 with reduced power....twice at the track...I got some sweet 30 second 1/4 times with a trap speed of 26mph

turn the truck off for a min and start it back up...you will get a cel but it will turn off with some normal driving....unless your problem is more serious

dealership is unnecessary

http://www.HOU355.com

Remember kids, its not what you know - but who you know; and how much brown-nosing you do.

rangerbob

“What a pompous ass you are. I think you beat out me and Dillusion.”
Stepdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to rangerbob

Uh... Dealership would be the first place I would go to find out why it's doing that.
Cat Gut| 3 x Lightforce Blitz | eFan | PCMforless <- very unhappy
1.5" TB/AAL/1" BL | Fold-A-Cover | Line-X OTR | Brake Box
rangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2007, 05:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Stepdaddy

mine has gone off due to over reving
and large traction control issues

i guess if he was just driving normal and it went off mabey the stealership might be the place to go

http://www.HOU355.com

Remember kids, its not what you know - but who you know; and how much brown-nosing you do.

rangerbob

“What a pompous ass you are. I think you beat out me and Dillusion.”
Stepdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2007, 02:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Subject: LSJ, L61, LK5, L52, LL8 Engine - Reduced Engine Power, MIL/SES Light, DTC P1516, P2135, P2138 (Replace PCM) #07-06-04-003 - (01/19/2007)

Models: 2005-2006 Chevrolet Cobalt, Cobalt SS, Malibu

2006 Chevrolet Colorado, TrailBlazer

2006 GMC Canyon, Envoy

2006 HUMMER H3

2005-2006 Saturn ION, ION Red Line

2006 Saab 9-7X

with ECOTECâ„¢ 2.0L, 2.2L I-4 Cylinder Engine (VINs P, F-- RPOs LSJ, L61) or

VORTECâ„¢ 2.8L I-4, 3.5L I-5, 4.2L I-6 Cylinder Engine (VINs 8, 6, S -- RPOs LK5, L52, LL

Attention: The following bulletin information is only to be used if the customer has returned for REPEAT repairs for DTCs P1516, P2135 and/or P2138.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment on engine operation in the Reduce Engine Power mode with the MIL/SES light illuminated. This condition may be repeated and upon investigation, the technician may find the following DTCs set as current or in history:

• DTC P1516 Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance

• DTC P2135 Throttle Position (TP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation

• DTC P2138 Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation

Cause
This condition of a repeat DTC P1516, P2135 and/or P2138 may be caused by an internal concern with the PCM.

Correction

Important: DO NOT replace the APP sensor. Inspect the PCM build date first.

Before following the diagnostic information in SI on DTCs P1516, P2135 and/or P2138, an inspection of the PCM serial number year and Julian (PCM build) date will be necessary to determine if the PCM will need to be replaced to correct the repeat DTC P1516. Refer to Engine Control Module Replacement in SI in order to remove the PCM. Refer to the above graphic illustration (1) for the location of the PCM serial number.

The serial number is read left to right. The last digit of the year is the 9th character and the Julian date is comprised of the 10th, 11th and 12th characters and is used to determine the PCM build date. Refer to the example below to read a build date from the PCM serial number:

* 8 6 Y N AU K 1 5 3 2 5 0 R P N *

If the PCM year and Julian dates are between 5182 and 5304 , replace the PCM. Refer to the Part Catalog to order the correct PCM for your vehicle application, if necessary.

Vehicles with PCM built outside the dates should refer to SI diagnostics for DTCs P1516, P2135 and/or P2138.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

J6360
Powertrain Control Module Replacement
Use Published Labor Operation Time

Warranty Information (Saab U.S. Models)
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Failed Object
Fault/Reason Code
Location Code
Warranty Type
Repair/Action Code
Labor Time

Powertrain Control Module Replacement
Use Published Labor Operation Time

2006 Colorado 4cyl 4x4 5spd Standard Cab
Pioneer HU, Polk 6 1/2's in Front Doors
Pioneer 200w Amp pushing Polk 6x9's in boxes
GM color matched, chrome grille
30% Tint on Side windows, Limo on rear
K&N Cold Air Intake
ChevTech06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2007, 01:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

After my 05 Canyon experenced the Reduced Power within two weeks I took it to the dealer. The problem with mine was a buildup of carbon on the throttle plate. The engine light is now off and the truck runs great. Cost me about $75 for the repair and it took approx. 45 minutes for the repair job.
Lesnes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2007, 07:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to J-man67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepdaddy
mine has gone off due to over reving
and large traction control issues

i guess if he was just driving normal and it went off mabey the stealership might be the place to go
HAHA, yeah thats when mine went on. I was SCARED!!! I had the codes cleared and fine ever since.
2006 Kawasaki KFX400
2004 Kawasaki zx636R
J-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.