Low Coolant Level and Milk on Oil Cap - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Low Coolant Level and Milk on Oil Cap

So I checked my antifreeze again today and noticed it was about 1qt low and there was condensation residue on the oil cap. The last time I check it, about 2 months ago, it was fine. At 56K this seems awfully strange and makes me want to go get a new truck with all the other problems that I will probably encounter with this engine.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so is there any easier fix than pulling the head?

Is there anything I can do to get GM to fix it?
*Sold* 2008 STI
*Sold* 2005 Yamha Warrior
2006 Z06
2008 Trailblazer 3LT
dsddcd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Low Coolant Level and Milk on Oil Cap

actually i just did my trucks first oil change and i found the same sh!t under my oil cap.
Canyon & Colorado club of CANADA #10
2008 GMC Canyon Z85 SLE crew cab 3.7L 4x4 in Dark Steel Grey Metallic.
1976 Oldsmobile Delta Ninety Eight 7.4L 455ci
MBRP 304SS single side exit, Volant "Frankensteined" cold air intake, Flex-a-lite 180 Efan, Sequential Turn Signals, Truxport tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD, ScangaugeII, DigitalFit floorliners, CompuStar Pro Remote Start...
$tock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

A small amount of condensation on the inside of the cap would be normal if you were making short trips in cold weather. But unless you have a leak a quart of coolant shouldn't disappear in two months. Over time it's normal for the coolant in the reservoir to drop slightly because the water in the coolant evaporates. Carefully check the upper and lower radiator hoses. Sometimes when the engine is cold the clamps don't seal tight and a small amount of coolant escapes. Then when the engine warms up the hose expands enough to seal and the drops of coolant evaporate. Over a two month period that could add up. If you have a hose leaking this way you will see the telltale stains.

Also check the passenger side floor for wetness which is a telltale sign of a leaking heater core.

Once you have eliminated any visible leaks, pull the dipstick. If the engine has just been run and you have coolant in the oil, you will see a nasty gray or brown looking mess on the dipstick. If the oil looks okay, I suppose its possible to have a head gasket leak so the coolant was getting into the exhaust.
If that was the case you would likely see white exhaust smoke even on a warm day.

Hope I didn't insult your intelligence; I just don't know how much mechanical ability you have.
2005 Z71 LS Crew Cab 4X4 L52, 4L60E, GT4, Silver Birch Metallic MAXX Shackles: http://www.355nation.net/forum/suspe...here-here.html MAXX Cam JR Lift Kit for 4X4 & 2WD Z71: http://www.355nation.net/forum/suspe...ering-kit.html
MAXX Stak Lift Kit for 2WD: http://www.355nation.net/forum/suspe...t-numbers.html PerforMAXX Body Lift: http://www.355nation.net/forum/suspe...y-spacers.html
ssgjurista is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista
Hope I didn't insult your intelligence; I just don't know how much mechanical ability you have.
I appreciate all good comments, I have not found a leak yet and the oil is not milky now. I am going to be watching it much closer for the next few months. Worst case senari I will find a reason to get a 09 with the 5.3.
*Sold* 2008 STI
*Sold* 2005 Yamha Warrior
2006 Z06
2008 Trailblazer 3LT
dsddcd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Keep us posted on what turns up. And if you get a new truck, show us some pics.
2005 Z71 LS Crew Cab 4X4 L52, 4L60E, GT4, Silver Birch Metallic MAXX Shackles: http://www.355nation.net/forum/suspe...here-here.html MAXX Cam JR Lift Kit for 4X4 & 2WD Z71: http://www.355nation.net/forum/suspe...ering-kit.html
MAXX Stak Lift Kit for 2WD: http://www.355nation.net/forum/suspe...t-numbers.html PerforMAXX Body Lift: http://www.355nation.net/forum/suspe...y-spacers.html
ssgjurista is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have the same issue, just a wee bit of milky looking smegma on the dip stick and a wee bit on the cap on short trips.
Every year as the Jersey winter approaches my coolant does dip a little bit. No wheres near a quart though. As a concerned owner, I went as far as taking the truck to the dealer. He stated this is normal for the amount I'm seeing. I had him put it in writing just to cover me arse & off I went. During the warmer weather I don't get the milky smegma stuff on the cap or the dip stick. Just my two sense!!
Old 01-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

My coolant drops a bit in the winter too, maybe a half-inch at the most. I figured it was because of using the defrost in the cold weather every day. No white stuff under the cap or on the dipstick but I'm pretty good about letting the truck warm up before I use it. It may be a product of the type of oil you're using. When I rebuilt the engine in my motorbike the insides of the engine casing had a light yellow/off white gooey creamy stuff all over and I found out it was an oil additive that MOTULE uses. Maybe see what oil other guys are running.

Bike - 102 CID v-twin. 120 hp/115ft lbs.

Colorado & Canyon Club of Canada member #4
coyote14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 07:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

I had this same issue last winter (though I never noticed a coolant level decrease). In my case, I had some of the milky substance on my dipstick (hey now!). Dealer told me this was condensation and due to the changes in temps/seasons. When I check it warm/hot, never an issue. This year, I've checked it and not noticed it again.
Gun Toting American Club Member #24
SwampFoxZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 07:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yep have had that same problem with alot of different vehicles and ssgjurista is right. If you make frequent short trips the engine doesn't stay hot long enough to evaporate the condensation in the engine. I'm not sure if it will cause harm but it can't be good. About 30+ minutes of driving should get rid of it, and if you do it often it should get rid of it.
OffroadJunkie84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Antifreeze in oil

Last year I told the delership the same thing .
Yesterday I went in for my 3 mo. oil change. Delership said change oil every 3 mo.. Sometimes I only drive 200 miles , the most was 975 miles . Well the oil was full of antifreeze, so know I don't have a truck. They said they would have to check and see if it was coverd under the drive train, thy would get my a rental . They always give me a run around everybody has a diffrent story, I left out that I had the milky stuff on the oil cap SO, 2008 4 door 2wd fabtech 3'' lift H3 Hummer tires & wheels 1'.5'' Bora wheel spacers fender flares
doctoromans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.