05 Colorado - L52 Engine Problems - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 05 Colorado - L52 Engine Problems

Hi - I am new to this forum, but not new to cars/trucks and other car forums. This forum looks to be particularly informative and I am hoping to get some opinions from those more experienced with these trucks than me.

I am considering buying an 05 Colorado with the L52 3.5L 5 Cyl engine. The truck seems to be in good condition, moderately well cared for and runs fine now. It has about 70k miles on it. I have read some conflicting and generally negative reports about this engine, and I was hoping to get some feedback from those that use it everyday about its reliability and driveability.

1) Does it feel underpowered?
2) How much of a problem is the intake valve issue that causes the heads to be replaced?
3) Is the intake valve problem with the engine design, or just certain production runs? Was it fixed or does replacing the heads just buy you time until it ends up happening again?
4) I realize it will be a biased opinion, but are you happy with the truck and the engine?
5) Is there anything on the GMC version that might make it a better truck than the Chevy version?
aeproberts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 05 Colorado - L52 Engine Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by davn
Based on my experience with 2006 crew 3.5 at 80,000 miles

1. Not in the least
2. So far I have been free of that trouble, The great majority seem to avoid any problems
3. I am not sure about the root cause but those that have had the repair ( to my knowledge) seem to be cured. I have not read or heard of any repeats.
4. This truck came to me at 27k miles 3.5 years ago, it is my daily driver and so much more, I can not conceive of any scenario that would make me want to part with it. If tragedy would strike I would immediately replace it in kind . It is perfect for me in size , comfort and utility. It is the most practical vehicle I have ever driven/owned in my 40 years behind the wheel. Did I mention I like it...a lot!
5. All accounts indicate nothing to place one above the other, sometimes pricing may swing one way or the other but besides badging, I have seen no reports to indicate any differences....

Good luck with your decision.

2006 3.5L, Crew Cab, Z71, Dark Metallic Red
Gift from wife Christmas 2007 (21000 miles)
Reached 100,000 miles on 1/28/13
110,000 miles on 10/22/13
120.000 miles on 07/08/14
davn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: 05 Colorado - L52 Engine Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeproberts
Hi - I am new to this forum, but not new to cars/trucks and other car forums. This forum looks to be particularly informative and I am hoping to get some opinions from those more experienced with these trucks than me.

I am considering buying an 05 Colorado with the L52 3.5L 5 Cyl engine. The truck seems to be in good condition, moderately well cared for and runs fine now. It has about 70k miles on it. I have read some conflicting and generally negative reports about this engine, and I was hoping to get some feedback from those that use it everyday about its reliability and driveability.

1) Does it feel underpowered?
2) How much of a problem is the intake valve issue that causes the heads to be replaced?
3) Is the intake valve problem with the engine design, or just certain production runs? Was it fixed or does replacing the heads just buy you time until it ends up happening again?
4) I realize it will be a biased opinion, but are you happy with the truck and the engine?
5) Is there anything on the GMC version that might make it a better truck than the Chevy version?
It is like rolling the dice when you buy a used vehicle. Good Luck. Personally I would not buy the truck just because of the mileage. Anything over 50,000 miles is risky,even these day's with all the new technology.
Colorado Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

i got my truck in about the same condition, i like it. it has plenty of power. never had any problems with it(my bro got it in 06[06 model], and i got it from him). only downside is if you go up a decent sized hill on cruise and your going over 55 or so youll downshift, but its not too bad
34pdaddy11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to naskie18

Welcome to the forum :)

I've got an '04 that I bought new at the end of '03. Currently has ~157k miles on it. Here's my responses:

1) Absolutely not. I'd prefer it if they'd offer a six speed in the newer ones, but that's just because I do a decent amount of towing, nothing against the engine. I use mine to tow a 12' enclosed trailer with motorcycles in it.

2) I haven't experienced this other than reading about it on here, so I'm probably not the best person to answer that.

3) There was a design change, but I'm not sure whether that completely resolved it or not. Again, no personal experience, so probably not the best person to ask.

4) Absolutely. If the current style Colorado was in production in 2015, I'd likely purchase one to replace my 04....not convinced of the new design, though, and haven't heard what engines will be available, so I'm waiting to see how that works out.

5) GMC tends to just have different option packages, and a higher price tag. No real reason to avoid a GMC in favor of a Chevy or vice-versa, if you find one with the options you want at a price you're willing to spend, go for it.

Nick http://www.naskie18.com GoogleTalk: naskie18@gmail.com AIM: naskie18

Last edited by naskie18; 08-01-2011 at 03:46 PM.
naskie18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

I believe that when I had my 05 that the engine (3.5) recieved extra warranty for the top end thru 100,000 miles. You might check this out.
Plenty of power and went very good in the snow and mud.
Bought 2011 crew cab for more inside room and V8. My 05 extended cab was a good truck, good engine thru 53000 miles.
GMC and Colorado are the same except for small change up front.
WV Mountain Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.