Random no start problem - looking for advice - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
MMM

Default Random no start problem - looking for advice

Hello all -

My '06 Z71 Colorado (5 Cyl) had the oft reported won't start till ya wait 10 minutes problem. So, like everyone else, I went through the "take it to the dealer, we can't reproduce it" routine. Finally it threw a misfire fault, they did a compression check, and found the following:

Cyl 1: 15% leakage
Cyl 2: 85% leakage
Cyl 3: 44% leakage
Cyl 4: 15% leakage
Cyl 5: 20% leakage

So, they replaced the head, and also the cam.

Problem went away. That was in March, @ 65,000 miles. Now I'm at 75,000 miles... and... yes .... I have the same problem again. Cranks, no start, wait 10 minutes, fires right up.

I don't have a passlock system, and am religious about changing the oil with pure synthetic on a regular basis.

So I'm guessing I'm going to take it to the dealer for another compression check.

My question - and I know this is difficult to answer, but is it remotely possible a replacement head could again need to be replaced after 10,000 miles?

I'll let ya'll know what compression results come back from the dealer..... what I'm trying to avoid is:

1) We can't reproduce it (until of course I go out of the 100K powertrain warranty).

2) We don't know what the problem is.

Guess I'm just looking for any other areas I can have the dealer check out and repair before I go out of warranty.

Is it possible the truck has the passlock computer... but not a passlock ignition?

This is really starting to bum me out..... I'm not one to throw a temper tantrum at the dealership.... but at this point I feel llike I either want to just take the truck back to the dealer and leave it (which I would hate to do, because despite all the problems - and I've had ALL the common ones - I really do like this truck), or have them replace the whole engine (which, I suppose, would only delay but would not fix the problem).

Any comments are most appreciated.

Thanks
Matt

Last edited by MMM; 08-28-2011 at 09:05 PM.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2011, 09:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to naskie18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I don't have a passlock system
I'm not sure this is possible, I think GM has put that on everything for years, as far as I know, there isn't an option to delete it (at least not from the factory).

And the issue you're having sounds exactly like the passlock system activating.

Nick http://www.naskie18.com GoogleTalk: naskie18@gmail.com AIM: naskie18

naskie18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 09:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
MMM

Nick -

Thanks! The only reason I say it doesn't have passlock is that there is no resistor in the key (there doesn't apper to be anything special about the key at all)... I'd thought that was how you determined if you have passlock or not.

Am I mistaken?

(Also the "lock" indicator in the instrument cluster is not illuminated while it's in a "no-start" condition).

Thanks
Matt

Last edited by MMM; 08-29-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Nick -

Thanks! The only reason I say it doesn't have passlock is that there is no resistor in the key (there doesn't apper to be anything special about the key at all)... I'd thought that was how you determined if you have passlock or not.

Am I mistaken?

(Also the "lock" indicator in the instrument cluster is not illuminated while it's in a "no-start" condition).

Thanks
Matt
You still have a pass-lock system on your truck. The resistor is in the ignition switch and not on the key as older vehicles had in the past. You can bypass the pass-lock very easy if you so desire. You can also run a few new wires to the fuel pump relay with a different switch and this will get you started also. Pass lock shuts the fuel off only. No fuel-no go.
Colorado Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
MMM

Ah! Things are making much more sense now, thank you! I think I'll cancel tomorrows compression test and look into disabling the pass-lock. I was reading some threads on how to do it by cutting a wire or two.... I don't think I'll go that route though. I need to read through some more threads, but the general idea I got was it could also be "programmed away". Maybe I'll also just use my spare key for awhile and see if the problem replicates ... I'm guessing the ignition key cylinder or the key itself wears down after awhile and freaks out the pass-lock.

THANKS!!!!

(I'll follow up with any new info as it comes along).

- Matt
Old 08-31-2011, 07:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
MMM

Well, I took it to the dealer - it did show a passlock fail code. So I skipped the compression check and will just wait for the next time it happens to get a bit more info as to what's going on. The dealer said with the code that was thrown, the engine shouldn't have cranked at all.... yet it did.

On the way there, an ABS fault showed up... so they changed a hub at no charge. I was there last week as the brake switch had failed. The recall covered that.

I'm getting to know the service reps pretty good by now.

But I will say this - if you are in Kansas City, Superior Chevrolet is a great dealership... they've taken care of the many problems I've had in a courteous and professional manner.

Will update if / when more problems crop up.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to naskie18

Quote:
Well, I took it to the dealer - it did show a passlock fail code. So I skipped the compression check and will just wait for the next time it happens to get a bit more info as to what's going on. The dealer said with the code that was thrown, the engine shouldn't have cranked at all.... yet it did.
The way the passlock thing works, the engine will crank fine, but the passlock system shuts off the fuel delivery, so you can sit there and crank it all you want, it won't start until the passlock system resets and fuel delivery is restored.
naskie18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2011, 11:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
FUR

Mine would do the same thing intermittently. My passlock would flash however. I cut the wire and put a couple quick connects on it for if my battery ever goes dead and it needs to relearn. Few thousand starts since with no issues.
FUR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Colorado/canyon won't start

I have been dealing with this no start for over a year
Now. And I think I figured it out.
Haven't had the problem in over 3 months
I quit using that cheap little door lock unlock
Panic button thing that goes on your key ring.
Simple has that. Please post a message if it works
For you. Bill
Poppy4400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy4400 View Post
I have been dealing with this no start for over a year
Now. And I think I figured it out.
Haven't had the problem in over 3 months
I quit using that cheap little door lock unlock
Panic button thing that goes on your key ring.
Simple has that. Please post a message if it works
For you. Bill
mine still does it occcasionally even though i never use my remote.
bholcomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.