Engine stalls - rough idle (suggestions?) - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Engine stalls - rough idle (suggestions?)

2007 Colorado Z71 5cyl. automatic 86k mileage

When coming to a stop the rpm drops to 500 and feels like it is going to stall. It then jumps back up to about 750, but idles rough. The engine completely stalled one time as I was braking coming off of a freeway off-ramp into a turn. The check engine light has come on twice, but went out on the next drive. This has been over a two week period.

I replaced a gunked up air filter. Ran perfect on the drive home. The next time I drove it the problem reoccured.

I replaced the MAF. Again, ran perfect on the test drive. The next time I drove it though the problem reoccured.

Someone suggested that I disconnect the battery to reset the computation for the air-fuel mixture. Didn't work.

This is my first time using the forums here. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

T
TSimps7777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
CALI-BOSS

Send a message via ICQ to DBNissan Send a message via AIM to DBNissan Send a message via MSN to DBNissan

The best thing to do is scan your PCM to find out what codes were thrown when the CEL came on. Probably need to clean the throttle-body and check for vacuum leaks. You didn't need to change the MAF sensor. A simple cleaning would have achieved the same results.

DBNissan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 03:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Clean the throttle body. It's a simple 1 hour job that only costs about 12 bucks for the cleaner. Mine used to do the same exact thing yours is doing. Cleaned the TB, no problems since.
The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does an oil change. It's a pity the ECU is so **** temperamental. -- Author Unknown
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 01:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Mine was doing that off and on too. It turned out the solution, for me, was to replace a spark plug coil that had gone bad. Found out the CEL was telling me of a large number of misfires in one of the cylinders. Changed all the plugs while it was apart too since there were about 85000 miles on the truck. No more rough idle.

2006 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 by cm_wright22, on Flickr
cm_wright22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Angry 2007 GMC Canyon - Check Engine & Stalling Problems

I have a 2007 GMC Canyon and beginning last Summer (in 2011) the Check Engine light started coming on intermittently. Also, whenever I come to a stop, the RPMs run so low that sometimes my truck stalls if I don't rev the engine a little while I have the brakes applied. I have taken it to multiple shops (including the dealership). They run a diagnostics on it each time, which returns a code that can mean multiple issues. However, nothing LOOKS wrong to them. They have cleaned the throtte body, which seemed to help for about two months, but that might have been my imagination. I have had hoses and other various parts replaced (including a new battery), as well as filled up a couple of times with the most expensive gasoline, in hopes that it would help, but the problem still exists. Now, on top of the stalling and check engine light issues, my truck likes to run the windshield wipers whenever it wants, turn on control panel lights for a few minutes just to scare me, and some of the lights on my radio buttons no longer light up. I love my Canyon and want to keep it for a very long time, but I have no clue (and neither does anyone else obviously) as to what to do about these issues. :(
tracyandnoah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSimps7777 View Post
2007 Colorado Z71 5cyl. automatic 86k mileage

When coming to a stop the rpm drops to 500 and feels like it is going to stall. It then jumps back up to about 750, but idles rough. The engine completely stalled one time as I was braking coming off of a freeway off-ramp into a turn. The check engine light has come on twice, but went out on the next drive. This has been over a two week period.

I replaced a gunked up air filter. Ran perfect on the drive home. The next time I drove it the problem reoccured.

I replaced the MAF. Again, ran perfect on the test drive. The next time I drove it though the problem reoccured.

Someone suggested that I disconnect the battery to reset the computation for the air-fuel mixture. Didn't work.

This is my first time using the forums here. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

T
Keep the old MAF sensor if you haven't already tossed it. It will be a backup for you. Yep, a cleaning is all you need to do (unless somebody broke it). All you do is pull it out, spray it with MAF Cleaner (a specific cleaner) and reinstall. The throttle body is pretty easy to clean, but the fuel disconnect line is tricky. Something else aside from intake issues are vacuum leaks, like mentioned previously. You may have a bad coil someplace. Maybe an injector is dirty/clogged. The coil and injector are a long shot if it actually runs alright but acts up at idle. I wonder if the cam actuator thingy can cause that, if the valve timing is screwy. Do our trucks have an idle air sensor? Your local autoparts store should be able to read the codes for you. See if you can get that info and provide the info back here. These dudes are sharp when it comes to codes. Also, if you clean the Throttle Body (TB) let us know how that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyandnoah View Post
I have a 2007 GMC Canyon and beginning last Summer (in 2011) the Check Engine light started coming on intermittently. Also, whenever I come to a stop, the RPMs run so low that sometimes my truck stalls if I don't rev the engine a little while I have the brakes applied. I have taken it to multiple shops (including the dealership). They run a diagnostics on it each time, which returns a code that can mean multiple issues. However, nothing LOOKS wrong to them. They have cleaned the throtte body, which seemed to help for about two months, but that might have been my imagination. I have had hoses and other various parts replaced (including a new battery), as well as filled up a couple of times with the most expensive gasoline, in hopes that it would help, but the problem still exists. Now, on top of the stalling and check engine light issues, my truck likes to run the windshield wipers whenever it wants, turn on control panel lights for a few minutes just to scare me, and some of the lights on my radio buttons no longer light up. I love my Canyon and want to keep it for a very long time, but I have no clue (and neither does anyone else obviously) as to what to do about these issues. :(
What are the possible codes the dealer has told you could be problems? Expensive fuel won't fix anything. Maybe running some injector cleaner through the system, or running Seafoam through your top end? The other issues you speak of sound like what the Body Control Module (BCM) control. Try to pull your battery for an hour. That will allow any remaining energy in the BCM to bleed off. That's a good place to start for the wipers and radio issues.
08Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

This sounds about the same issue with my colly as well when i come to a stop sign or taking a small u-turn my idling seems to go to were the truck wants to stall out i know my check engine light has been on but thats the 02 sensor that bad i might have to recheck it again just to be safe as for the tb i am gonna do that tomorrow and get that out of the way....but i will post my codes on here tomorrow and see if they might match up with tsimps777 man i hope its not a fuel injetor...
fenix23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.