Guns - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n9cv View Post
Let me give you a sort story on why you do not want the gun holstered on your belt while driving. I went to a a big box store that I do not normally visit and picked up a very small refrigerator that was on close out. As I was leaving and driving across a vacant area of the parking lot, a well dressed guy flagged me down. I stopped and rolled the window down. He started begging me for $5.00 with a bunch of excuses. Dummy me to get rid of him got out my billfold and started to hand him $5.00. He pointed a small gun in the window at me and said "How about I just take the whole billfold." There was no way I could get to my pistol at that point if I wanted to. It was really inaccessible on my belt while I was seated in the Colorado.

The gear shift of my Colorado was still in drive with my foot on the brake, so I nailed the accelerator and got the **** out of there leaving him standing alone in the parking lot.

I blame myself for not being more alert at the time but I was in what I considered was a safe neighborhood and did not pay much attention at the time.

The point of this whole story is: a handgun on your belt is not easily accessible while seated and some other holster mounting ought to be considered inside of a vehicle.
If someone already has the drop on you, going for your own gun should be a last resort. You did the right thing by stomping on the gas and getting out of there.
wpatrus, MNTodd, TdBart and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 03:31 PM

Garage
I had a consolevault in my 13 Taco and loved it for storing a handgun when CC was not permitted. It bolted into the armrest console. They said the 15 Colorado vault is coming soon, but am not sure how it will secure itself into the armrest compartment as there are no exposed bolts like the Tacoma.

It's expensive, but great security for valuables that you leave in the vehicle.

Chevrolet Colorado

Sent from a potato.
post #23 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 03:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingDonut View Post
I had a consolevault in my 13 Taco and loved it for storing a handgun when CC was not permitted. It bolted into the armrest console. They said the 15 Colorado vault is coming soon, but am not sure how it will secure itself into the armrest compartment as there are no exposed bolts like the Tacoma.

It's expensive, but great security for valuables that you leave in the vehicle.

Chevrolet Colorado
Our console is so tall and skinny. That's going to be a strange vault. I just installed 2 of the Tahoe models with the 4 number combination lock. They are handy, but not terribly secure due to being held in place with 2 small sheet metal screws. One good swift kick from the back seat and the vault will break away with the console plastic. I would put 1 bolt and locknut all the way through the floor to secure it well against removal attempts.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17
post #24 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 11:22 PM

Garage
I decided on a gun vault under the rear seat in my crew cab. I chose to put it where it would use the minimum of space on the passenger side so I could access it from driver's seat. It is bolted through the floor with big washers underneath and aluminum sleeves through the thick sound insulation so it did not sink down in the carpet when I tightened the hardware. Used nylon lock nuts so there is no way to remove them without the box opened and a second person holding the bolt from inside. Siliconed the nuts and washers with clear underneath to waterproof everything.
It is a great location for security, but not so good if you wish to access it from the front seat. The issue is that lifting the seat cushions requires reaching the rear release on BOTH rear seats. That really requires the driver to get out and open both rear doors to easily access the seat release handles. I guess you could drive around with the cushions locked in the up position, but this is not an issue for me anyway. I carry in my waistband while in the truck and only use the vault to secure the firearm when I am going into a federal building or other location where guns are not allowed. There is plenty enough space in front of the box for using the key to open it in case the battery fails. I may replace the battery with a 12v to 9v converter if I determine that the current draw on the truck's battery is very low and it won't cause an excessive parasitic drain.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17

Last edited by savagebob; 11-19-2015 at 12:10 AM.
post #25 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 03:50 PM

I have a black plastic outside-the-waistband paddle holster for my Bersa Thunder .380cc. It was a gift. I only carry the Bersa as a concealed carry weapon, so have never had any use for the not-very-concealable "Outside The Waistband" holster.

That is, until last week when I realized it latches almost perfectly to the gap between the bottom of my steering wheel assembly and the dash. Like it was made to go there.

So now I have a great place to carry in the truck. I was a little worried about my knee hitting the holster when getting in and out of the truck, but so far it has not been an issue.
post #26 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 06:54 PM

Garage
I wonder if you can fit an AR under the back seats in a Crew Cab? I wonder if I could get a custom made pelican case type thing to lock it in.
shilly likes this.
post #27 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 07:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinkaos View Post
I wonder if you can fit an AR under the back seats in a Crew Cab? I wonder if I could get a custom made pelican case type thing to lock it in.
I think with that seat divided that way, a AR might not fit. I either carry at about 4:30 position, or unholster and put in center console. Or I could leave it on the seat next to me if I so desire, no requirement to conceal in MN, you just better have your permit ready if it's seen, or better yet, inform Mr. or Mrs. Officer you are carrying nicely. Of course, no one speeds or fractures any laws so its not an issue.

2015 Colorado CC Z71 Cyber Grey with wheel Flares, and map system Purchased 10/10/14
Mods: Added Roll-X Tonneau cover, Rhino Liner to bed, window decals, Rally Armor UR plus flaps to front wheels.

Mods I want to do: Roll bar from 2014 SEMA truck, something on the front end (Bull Bar or full guard??).
post #28 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 05:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
I keep meaning to take my 10.3" daniel defense out to the shop to see if it fits in that under seat compartment, but then I forget.
post #29 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 05:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
I keep meaning to take my 10.3" daniel defense out to the shop to see if it fits in that under seat compartment, but then I forget.
SBR or pistol?
post #30 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

I don't think Daniel defense makes pistols but not positive. Sounded like SBR
xxC13xx likes this.
post #31 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 07:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
SBR or pistol?
It's a pistol right now because it has a sig brace on it and a lower that's never been made into a rifle.

I keep thinking about applying for an nfa stamp but haven't got around to it yet.
post #32 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 09:14 PM

Garage
I am hoping my 11.5" 6.8 SBR will fit under the back seat.
post #33 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 11:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
It's a pistol right now because it has a sig brace on it and a lower that's never been made into a rifle.

I keep thinking about applying for an nfa stamp but haven't got around to it yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by team helotes View Post
I am hoping my 11.5" 6.8 SBR will fit under the back seat.
so jealous... NFA items are basically a no-go in California.
post #34 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 07:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
so jealous... NFA items are basically a no-go in California.
Then I will not tell you about the other SBRs and the silencers.
xxC13xx likes this.

Ordered 4-23-15, built 5-21-15, sitting in my driveway 6-8-15. Canyon SLE, crew cab, long bed, 2wd, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa Dune.
Roll N Lock bed cover and cargo manager, custom made tool tray, OEM mud flaps, front windows tinted, running boards, 300 Watt Inverter with Sierra OEM plug, Warning Lights for fire dept, 6K HIDs lows and highs, LED fog light bulbs, 30" LED light bar, 2.5" front lift with 1" rear, Michelin AT/2 265/70/17, custom sports bar with 2 LED light bars, Rigid cargo lights.
post #35 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 07:57 AM

Garage
I've also got a little draco ak with a sig brace that would work great under the seat since I'm not worried about it getting beat up. Have an aimpoint micro on it. Great for close up social work.
post #36 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 09:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by team helotes View Post
Then I will not tell you about the other SBRs and the silencers.
**** it, Texas. stop talking about your freedom, it offends us Californian's.

Quote:
I've also got a little draco ak with a sig brace that would work great under the seat since I'm not worried about it getting beat up. Have an aimpoint micro on it. Great for close up social work.
mmm... so much win. love the term "social work".
post #37 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 01:28 PM

Garage
My Colt M4 Cammando fits... Barely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1431365290583.jpg (124.5 KB, 367 views)
post #38 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 09:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2107 View Post
Remove the mag and the stock and you have a custom fit. I was thinking of doing the plastic bag and expanding foam trick in the back to get a custom molded, built in AR pistol case back there. Then you need to make a locking mechanism with a hidden switch somewhere. If the switch is an ignition feed, then you have a gun safe. An aluminum plate on the seat bottom would prevent someone from grabbing it by slicing up the seat cushion.

post #39 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 12:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by savagebob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2107 View Post
Remove the mag and the stock and you have a custom fit. I was thinking of doing the plastic bag and expanding foam trick in the back to get a custom molded, built in AR pistol case back there. Then you need to make a locking mechanism with a hidden switch somewhere. If the switch is an ignition feed, then you have a gun safe. An aluminum plate on the seat bottom would prevent someone from grabbing it by slicing up the seat cushion.
True, and good idea. Although I'll never leave any guns in my car. I just have it on the floor when I'm transporting them (I'm doing everything legal of course). That's actually my work rifle so it travels with me a lot.
post #40 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 03:06 PM

In Oregon a pistol has to be in a locked compartment that no one but the CC license holder has access to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode