Guns - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Guns

If this violates any rules I apologize. I was wondering if anyone has found some good solutions for their firearms in their new trucks? I'm in the market for a mountable holster to mount at the driver side of the center console, (next to the drivers right knee) so also seeking some recommendations or pictures of what you use. I always carry in the "4o'clock" position making it nearly impossible to get to with a seatbelt on. Thanks for any input.

And I am not posting this for a political debate so hopefully we don't turn it into that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 01:27 PM

Different states have different laws on the way you can store/carry a weapon in your vehicle. Check yours! Be VERY careful about storing your weapon in the way that you indicate above as it can be considered concealed. That's a felony in most states if you do not have a carry permit. Some states can consider it reckless display, or open carry, if it's not fully concealed, another felony.
I usually carry mine in the console, or covered on the seat depending on the location I'm in, but I have a carry permit.
post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shs11588 View Post
If this violates any rules I apologize. I was wondering if anyone has found some good solutions for their firearms in their new trucks? I'm in the market for a mountable holster to mount at the driver side of the center console, (next to the drivers right knee) so also seeking some recommendations or pictures of what you use. I always carry in the "4o'clock" position making it nearly impossible to get to with a seatbelt on. Thanks for any input.

And I am not posting this for a political debate so hopefully we don't turn it into that.
I've always preferred this area for a holster (not my pic/ not my truck) I currently have my pistol concealed in the center console, but I'm working on "re-working" the console under the wheel to accept a mold for my sig 226 .40 ...it will be completely hidden, I'll post pics once the patent is granted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holster.jpg (111.0 KB, 1130 views)
xxC13xx, Melloreel and shilly like this.

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 01:57 PM

Garage
I mounted mine in the center console. Used the Blackhawk Serpa with a quick disconnect system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-02-13.jpg (143.9 KB, 982 views)

Last edited by WHEELBURNS; 04-06-2015 at 02:05 PM.
post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 02:09 PM

Personal choice, but I'm not a fan of off body carry. Hip holster works for me, but I'm left handed, so the seatbelt isn't as much of an impediment as it is for a right hander. You might consider an appendix carry.

Brownstone Colorado CC SB Z71 4WD with trailering, spray in liner, splash guards, and tie down rings. Added Homelink, LED interior lights, Rocky Road Super Sliders, Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite, and Blue Ox base plate.
post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 02:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
Personal choice, but I'm not a fan of off body carry. Hip holster works for me, but I'm left handed, so the seatbelt isn't as much of an impediment as it is for a right hander. You might consider an appendix carry.
I go by the "never point a gun at anything you don't want to shoot" credo, so that's out for me. You know what I'm talking about not wanting to shoot, it's still an important part of my life.

Most of the time I have an xds .45 in a pocket holster and just lay it in the console and put it back in my pocket when I stop.

If I'm holstered it's a glock 19 or a glock 26 and I stay holstered at 3:30.

I have considered cross draw holsters many times because at my age reaching behind me hurts my shoulder. I also have been considering vertical shoulder holsters.
bfleyva likes this.
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 03:05 PM

i live in NJ, ill never have a legal gun in my vehicle...

<<--- jealous

2015 Canyon, crew cab, all terrain, 4x4, v6, BFG AT TA KO2 265/70/17 tires with a zone 1.25" kit
post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 03:57 PM

I was hoping to find some tactical seat covers, with either a carry pouch in the front or velcro to mount a holster to.
post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHEELBURNS View Post
I mounted mine in the center console. Used the Blackhawk Serpa with a quick disconnect system.
That right there is about four different kinds of awesome!!!
WHEELBURNS and RaceRx380 like this.
post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 04:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumcrazy View Post
i live in NJ, ill never have a legal gun in my vehicle...

<<--- jealous
I had that problem too, until the Army showed me what joyous liberties could be had south and west of the Delaware river 20 years ago.
post #11 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

I live in Florida. I have a permit to carry and law states it must be concealed from plain view and accidental "flashing" in public is legal. Such as you shirt lifting up when you bend over exposing a firearm at Wal-Mart. Etc... So having the holster at my right knee will be legal as long as i don't leave it there when I get out, which I would never go anywhere without it unless it's a no gun zone, In which case I will conceal it in the truck.
Personally I think concealing it in the center console is pointless because when the time comes that you need it that will take 3 seconds you may not have...

I think I'm gonna go with texascustomeholsters.com setup because I like the angle spacer they use to give space for your draw hand. Just wanted to get some input before I shell out $80. All good info above. Thanks!
post #12 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 06:43 PM

Goggle Texascustomholsters I have one in my other truck mounted on side of console great for speed and concealment. They have youtube video for them gives you an idea of use.
post #13 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 09:56 PM

I just picked up a gun magnet and am going to use a 3-M adhesive to glue it just under and to the right of steering wheel on the plastic panel. I've used gun magnets in the past and they do a great job.
post #14 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 10:29 PM

Sounds like an excuse for a new firearm. I have my xds at 4 o'clock and my bond arms in a BAD Driving Holster on my left hip. The firearm stays horizontal in a cross draw as to not point at my umm member. The two shots of 410 should give me enough time for my main if needed. Fun little firearms with interchangeable barrels.

BAD Driving Holster - Bond Arms

2015 Colorado: LT Crew Cab, Long Box, 4WD, Cyber Grey, Jet Black luxury package, Trailering package with locking diff.

3/02/15 - order placed at dealer
3/10/15 - 2500
3/13/15 - 3000 with a TPW of 4/20/15
post #15 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikent View Post
I just picked up a gun magnet and am going to use a 3-M adhesive to glue it just under and to the right of steering wheel on the plastic panel. I've used gun magnets in the past and they do a great job.
I have a gun magnet on my bed and love it. Holds my full size pistol with ease. And I was considering it for the truck, but was worried if my knee accidentally hit it or in case of a collision I don't want a firearm flying through the cab... I am dead set on mounting at the drivers knee on the center console so I'm going with the texas custom. I'll post pics and review when it's installed.
post #16 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 09:11 AM

God Bless this Country where every person has a right to grow up and prey on the others, and the others have the constitutional right to protect themselves from such attacks. Carry in a vehicle is very difficult, throwing your "truck gun" in the console is convenient and always available----if you have the time. Carry on the person while in the vehicle is also time consuming to draw with a seat belt on and perhaps several layers of clothing. There does not seem to be a best answer and each of us will work vehicle concealment out to one's own desires, remember the "truck gun" when servicing the vehicle or otherwise allowing another to drive as you may place that person in a difficult situation.

2015 Canyon, SLT, CC, 4x4, Copper Red Metallic, Nav, Bose, Trailer pkg, Safety pkg, Eng heater, steps, Extang tri fold hard cover, flaps.
post #17 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 10:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1adam12 View Post
I was hoping to find some tactical seat covers, with either a carry pouch in the front or velcro to mount a holster to.

Here ya go...I was hoping to pick up a set of these for my first gen, but then ended up getting the new truck a month later.

Tactical Seat Covers

I carry a G33 most of the time, if I'm out at night with my wife I'll switch over to my XDM mounted with a TLR-1, both carried at the 330 position, with a spare mag in the weak side pocket, base side up for quick access if needed. If I don't want it on me, I'll put it in the slot of the cupholder against my phone cradle. It holds up upright and at the ready for me. If I get somewhere that doesn't "allow" firearms, I have a lockable gun box in the back of the cab that fits the pistol and spare mag. But, most of the time if my wife is out with me, chances are she's carrying too.
TdBart, Engine12 and JP Sunshine like this.

Semper Fidelis - Unus Supra

Last edited by xxC13xx; 04-07-2015 at 10:26 AM.
post #18 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Installed today! Very secure and a great quality holster. I ended up using the included screws because I couldn't find any anchors that would work with the thin plastic of the console. Just predrilled using a very small diameter bit and insterted it slowly without the drill spinning to investigate if anything was behind the plastic. I can see how drilling the screws in quickly will strip them out so go slow. I'm extremely pleased with the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1429476533228_1429476545551.jpg (109.0 KB, 571 views)
File Type: jpg 1429476547372_1429476559757.jpg (99.7 KB, 544 views)
post #19 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebug View Post
Sounds like an excuse for a new firearm. I have my xds at 4 o'clock and my bond arms in a BAD Driving Holster on my left hip. The firearm stays horizontal in a cross draw as to not point at my umm member. The two shots of 410 should give me enough time for my main if needed. Fun little firearms with interchangeable barrels.

BAD Driving Holster - Bond Arms

I had one of those little Bond Arms derringers. After I got it I took it right out and shot a 3" 410. Hurt my hand so bad I decided I wasn't man enough to handle it so I gave it to my son. Should have started out with a 2 3/4" first. LOL
post #20 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 10:28 PM

Let me give you a sort story on why you do not want the gun holstered on your belt while driving. I went to a a big box store that I do not normally visit and picked up a very small refrigerator that was on close out. As I was leaving and driving across a vacant area of the parking lot, a well dressed guy flagged me down. I stopped and rolled the window down. He started begging me for $5.00 with a bunch of excuses. Dummy me to get rid of him got out my billfold and started to hand him $5.00. He pointed a small gun in the window at me and said "How about I just take the whole billfold." There was no way I could get to my pistol at that point if I wanted to. It was really inaccessible on my belt while I was seated in the Colorado.

The gear shift of my Colorado was still in drive with my foot on the brake, so I nailed the accelerator and got the **** out of there leaving him standing alone in the parking lot.

I blame myself for not being more alert at the time but I was in what I considered was a safe neighborhood and did not pay much attention at the time.

The point of this whole story is: a handgun on your belt is not easily accessible while seated and some other holster mounting ought to be considered inside of a vehicle.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode