36-45 29 18.95%
46-55 33 21.57%
56-65 24 15.69%
66+ 18 11.76%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 03:59 PM

I'm older than dirt. My truck will be 13 in Jan. I got it new.
Janster likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Take this for what it is - (no offense) - just curious.

When I was in my 20's -.....My first car - My dad bought me this 10 year old piece of crap from a junkyard that just barely ran on 4 cylinders. I had to pay him back for every penny of it ($500). He couldn't afford it (he was paying my way thru school) and I couldn't afford it (living at school).

How are you young whipper snappers able to afford these trucks? The assumption is (again, our old age thought process) ...that someone else actually owns it and pays for the loan. You still live at home. You're lucky enough to have a dang good paying job (and still live at home). Or...you're in debt up to your eyeballs!! LOL

No need to answer.....I've probably crossed the 'privacy' line.

Again - its how us old folks think - we could never afford something this nice back then.

No offense taken. Personally, I live in a part of the country where cost of living is extremely low. Because of that I am able to afford the Colly and afford to live totally cut off from parents. When I went to college, my dad told me he was no longer paying for anything and that has held true. I'm very proud of the fact I've been able to work hard and buy my first new car. I have zero debt (other than car payment).

Before the Colly I owned a 2001 Ford Explorer (first car) that I drove until it cost me more in repairs than it was worth, then bought a 2005 Mazda3 (that I hated) because it was cheap and I could afford it.

When I talked to my dad about getting the Colly he tried very hard to persuade me against it because he thought I wouldn't be able to afford it. After I showed him the numbers of it, he was a believer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Janster likes this.

2015 Silver Colorado Z71
-Blacked out bowties -Air-dam delete
-Front light bar in grill -Red Tow Hooks
-1.25" front level -265/70/17 BFG KO2s
-Husky Mudflaps -Bedrug
-VHF Antenna Install -USB/12v bed plugs
-LED Interior -LED reverse, cargo
-Tekonsha P3 TBC
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Cat ZRT View Post
I'm not afraid to share either.

First off due to my hardworking parents, I am extremely blessed and they were able to pay for my college education. I still worked during the weekend at our local hardware store/lumberyard gaining work experience and eventually my CDL (very thankful as that gave me opportunities after college that my degree didn't). Bout 8 Months after graduation I was offered a job as a project coordinator at the same company my Dad work at. It payed well and offered me a steady income. When I got that job I determined that I would be able to afford the Colorado. My father co-signed for me, but for him to do so I had to be sure I could afford the truck and move out if necessary. I am still at home but paying for all my bills and rent (including the truck and all that goes with that). I have also recently been promoted to a Project Manager. At this point I am waiting for my girlfriend of 7 years to finish college this spring and also saving up to move out with her. Then things progress from there.

At the end though, I will say I have been very lucky/blessed and do my best not to take that for granted.
Nice! Sounds like you have things in order for a positive future and congrats on the promotion!! If you start off on the right foot.....working hard and taking care of priorities, life will treat you well my friend.

Funny...as I look back....I worked at Mcdonalds for 9 years, then in a printing factory with the hopes of getting into the graphics department that eventually downsized & went high tech (no more jobs to be had). Such is my luck.... I never really had a close relastionship with my parents, so my priority was to GET OUT. Living with room mates has its advantages and disadvantages!! LOL
As the old saying goes... If I would've known then what I know now - I should've gotten into html coding back when it was new (I enjoy doing it when I can). I should've thought about saving my money instead of throwing it away at the bar every weekend. LOL I did have a lot of fun though.....

Things happen for a reason? I couldn't be happier with my life even though I probably could've done something better with myself (doesn't everyone say that?). I met the man of my dreams and that's what holds it all together (been married for 21 years).
Arctic Cat ZRT likes this.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 06:18 PM
ADMIN

Garage
Quote:

When I was in my 20's -.....My first car - My dad bought me this 10 year old piece of crap from a junkyard that just barely ran on 4 cylinders. I had to pay him back for every penny of it ($500). He couldn't afford it (he was paying my way thru school) and I couldn't afford it (living at school).

How are you young whipper snappers able to afford these trucks? The assumption is (again, our old age thought process) ...that someone else actually owns it and pays for the loan. You still live at home. You're lucky enough to have a dang good paying job (and still live at home). Or...you're in debt up to your eyeballs!! LOL

Again - its how us old folks think - we could never afford something this nice back then.
I'm not quite the young whipper snapper any more (37 years). But I've got the opportunity to have both sides of the coin. I have a Gf of over 5 years that I live with in a house which is fully paid off, no mortgage (thanks to an inheritance). I also work in finance (14 years at my job).

Having that "luck" has allowed me to focus my finances accordingly. Just 3 months ago I became "bad debt" free. Dropping $18K to pay off loans, credit cards and the other unneeded debt.

But, it's not all "luck" because in my job I took the series 7 brokers exam and passed. Plus my gf is an RN/Case manager at a local hospital and scarey enough makes almost 2X my salary.

So a fully paid off house, her salary, and my salary, can explain why me (37) and her (39) live quite a fun life style.

2015 Laser Blue Colorado LT
CC, 4X4, V6, SB

Mods:
LED light bar - 32"
HID headlights
LED fog lights
LED high beams
LED reverse lights
LED license plate lights
LED visor lights
LED dome lights
LED switchback front turn signal lights
LED cargo light turn signal conversion
LED bed lights
LED tail lights
LED sidemarkers
Canyon swapped tail lights
Red painted calipers
Supermod ported throttle body
Silver metallic rally stripes
Super Skidz skid plate
Volant CAI

Have a Colorado but want Canyon tail lights? Or vice versa CLICK HERE

***NOTE***
SITE RULES

post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 06:39 PM

Garage
Quote:

None taken! Glad to hear there are other hard working young adults out there. It is a point of pride, for myself. Been in construction for a few years now and between the long hours and determination to doing my job well, was able to land myself one of these awesome trucks on my own. Unfortunately she has taken a bit of abuse from work... but always get the TLC deserved!

Air Dam delete
LED Lights/Signals
HID High/Low
RC 1" Level
aFe Momentum GT
MBRP Exhaust
Elite Catch Can
Trifecta Tune
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:

I fall into the "I have a good job and still live at home category" since I am still going to University full time to finish my degree. I still worked as a waitress quite a bit and Ive never really been much of a spender. Luckily, I found a killer deal on my Z71, which I bought used with 10k miles, and sold my '13 Dodge Dart (Yes, the Dodge was 100% mine). Combined with my savings, I only needed a small loan to help me with my dream truck (which again is 100% mine). I consider myself pretty lucky.

Last edited by Shelby18430; 01-06-2017 at 12:02 AM.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 08:13 AM

No issues at all explaining my story either!

I bought a 1991 Toyota Camry in 2006 when I turned 16 for $500 (used my b-day money saved from when I was 5!!) and drove that thing until it was time to buy my wife a new Nissan Juke (2 years ago). Once hers was paid off (I inherited her paid off Corolla) I traded in the corolla to buy this beauty! I turn 28 on the 17th.

I have been very blessed to get a job in the oilfield and keep it through this downturn for the past 3 years (This is what helped pay off her car in 2 years). Before that I worked retail and made my up to management. Still going to school currently as I've always had a fulltime job and paid for each semester out of pocket. No student debt. We don't keep any debt other than our house and current car note (max 1 car note at a time and make sure it fits in our budget). My dad taught me to be very smart financially and to not incur any unnecessary debt while saving at least 15% of take home pay. SAVE, SAVE, SAVE if you want to buy something....I shopped this truck for the past 2 years (as you notice not a very impulsive buyer - though I've been weak when it comes to buying things for my Canyon :( ). Only advice to younger folks like me is live within your means and budget. Only pay cash if you can and if you can't try to make sure it is for emergencies only... They will always have a sale as I tell my wife lol. It's not always rainbows and sunshine but the effort pays off in the long run.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:15 PM

I put my age down as requested, however if you were to ask my children you would get some kind of abusive comment about the Paleozoic age.
jrc847 likes this.

Andres

CCLB 2WD Colorado Owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode