Beer Nerds - What are you drinking/Brewing? - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 10:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boombots View Post
I'll try most beers. Not a big Porter or stout guy. This winter I've been drinking great lakes Christmas and Bell's winter white. My usual go to "cheap" case of beer is PBR. I mean, it did win a blue ribbon, even if it was in 1893! I love a cold yuengling on draft. A good imported unfiltered hefeweizen is great too. Not a fan of domestic ones.

Loads of good beer in Charlotte and Asheville for sure. I love the hop drop and roll. Noda is my favorite brewery in Charlotte. I try and frequent it as often as I can.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
Yep...Hop Drop and Roll is one of my favs too! It is really hoppy! I live near the speedway so there are two or three breweries very close to my house. Never actually been to NODA brewery since it is further uptown. I like that you can get their beers in cans too!

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 12:16 PM

Garage
A LOT of very average beer here in Tennessee, micro breweries are popping up on every corner in Nashville. It's fine if you like pineapple peanut butter IPA's, but i'm more old school. Although it's time consuming, I like making German lagers. I also love all things hoppy. I still drink good ole Coors light when i'm camping and it's 90f out, if I don't have any of my classic american pilsner on tap. Not into beer nerds that live to bash the big boys, 90% of home-brewers couldn't come even remotely close to making a decent light lager.

I did recently go to Knoxville and there's a newer authentic German brewery there, hands down the best beer i've had in the state.

2016 Colorado Extended Cab 2wd Cyber Metallic Gray
It's almost as pretty as a Canyon
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastStarr68 View Post
Really got into craft brews about 20 years ago before they started popping up everywhere and everybody though Sam Adams was crafty. We lived in Portland, Oregon for 10 years and there was a brewery on every corner. We really loved going over to Bend and going to the Deschutes brewery. We now live in North Carolina and they are popping up every where here in Charlotte now too. Just went to a new one this weekend call 26 acres. Beer was very good. I am a hopp head so I always try the IPAs but there brown ale was very good too. Asheville is also a good place to go for breweries.
My husband also enjoys Deschutes...and a couple others off the top of my head - Lagunitas, Ballast Point & DC Brau. If you ever get a chance to visit DC Brau - that place is awesome!! They are so laid back and even the guys are drinking beer while they're working. Very neat place. Our tour guide was taking hops (same green stuff) and putting it in his beer/glass. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT451 View Post
I've had a lot of different beers in my life (70+) but I always go back to PBR. The "craft" beers are great but over time they lose appeal. I have noticed that some "finer" restaurants don't carry PBR so I go with Youngling from America's oldest brewer.
You should come up and visit Pennsylvania and get a brewery tour of Yuengling.
It's a neat tour.... You would probably like any lager. But you probably grew up with PBR and that's the flavor you'll remember from when you were younger.

PA has really opened up with beer/liquor laws. THere are bottle shops & tap houses opening up everywhere. You can go to the grocery store and buy a single bottle of beer. This is GREAT for trying out different beers. You can also buy 6 paks & half cases at the distributors. So - you can be a beer 'enthusiast' and try all sorts of beers. It's fun... (for us anyway).

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 09:25 AM

At my age I've tried many different beers and finally decided that
I like Old School beer...................PBR!!!
Janster likes this.

Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate!
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
My husband also enjoys Deschutes...and a couple others off the top of my head - Lagunitas, Ballast Point & DC Brau. If you ever get a chance to visit DC Brau - that place is awesome!! They are so laid back and even the guys are drinking beer while they're working. Very neat place. Our tour guide was taking hops (same green stuff) and putting it in his beer/glass. LOL

You should come up and visit Pennsylvania and get a brewery tour of Yuengling.
It's a neat tour.... You would probably like any lager. But you probably grew up with PBR and that's the flavor you'll remember from when you were younger.

PA has really opened up with beer/liquor laws. THere are bottle shops & tap houses opening up everywhere. You can go to the grocery store and buy a single bottle of beer. This is GREAT for trying out different beers. You can also buy 6 paks & half cases at the distributors. So - you can be a beer 'enthusiast' and try all sorts of beers. It's fun... (for us anyway).
There is a large demand for beer from America's oldest brewery (Yuengling). They are building a new brewery in Florida, and the beer distributed in New England is brewed by Two Roads Brewing in Stratford, CT.
Janster likes this.

Ordered 11/10/14: 2015 Colorado LT EC,4wd, Red Rock Metallic, Conv and Luxury package, G80, Bose & Nav, 18" dark argent wheels, black assist steps, bed mat, bed divider, tow package.
Event status 3000 12/15/14. Still at 3000 12/29/14. Status 3000 01/05/15. Status 3000 01/12/15. Status 3400 no VIN or TPW 01/17/15. Got VIN, and waiting transportation 01/27/15. On the train 02/04/15. At dealer 02/13/15, taking delivery 02/18/15; 100 days stock to dock.
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 10:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowyellowz View Post
At my age I've tried many different beers and finally decided that
I like Old School beer...................PBR!!!
PBR, oh man, give me the Mil's Best.
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 12:33 PM

A little OT; last year three new breweries opened within a five mile radius of me (all good ). Four more are scheduled in the first quarter next year within a 20 mile radius.
I think that will make 50 breweries/brewpubs in CT, population around 3 million.

Ordered 11/10/14: 2015 Colorado LT EC,4wd, Red Rock Metallic, Conv and Luxury package, G80, Bose & Nav, 18" dark argent wheels, black assist steps, bed mat, bed divider, tow package.
Event status 3000 12/15/14. Still at 3000 12/29/14. Status 3000 01/05/15. Status 3000 01/12/15. Status 3400 no VIN or TPW 01/17/15. Got VIN, and waiting transportation 01/27/15. On the train 02/04/15. At dealer 02/13/15, taking delivery 02/18/15; 100 days stock to dock.
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 06:31 PM

Good thread!

There's so many good beers out there now, you could try a new one every day for years! Untapped definitely helps keep track of all them.

My brother went to school in VT and my sisters boyfriend is from there plus skiing up in VT, made quite a few stops for some heady topper. Got lucky on one trip to Stowe and found a pack behind some random 6-packs in a cooler at a store.
Parents live around Portsmouth, NH so some great beers around there. One of them being Kate the Great, was rated the best one year iirc. Guy that created it started his own brewery in southern Maine, he makes some very interesting stuff. One he made was with yeast he cultivated from his beerd

I'm not too much of a fan of overly hoppy stuff. In fact I'm not all that much of an IPA guy, I like pale ales, lagers and pilsners much better. I really like more of the German style lagers and Kolsch, light but flavorful.

Have a American Pale Ale kit ready to brew whenever I get around to it. Will be my 5th batch. Slowly adding equipment as I go along.

Cheers!
Janster likes this.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 01:55 PM

I'm a big fan of New Glarus Brewing up in WI. Spotted Cow (and now their Grand Cru Spotted Cow) is my go to all year beer. There have only been 1 or 2 beers from New Glarus that I didn't enjoy.

The other beer I when I'm in the mood for hops is a local called Zombie Dust. Extremely hard to find, but well worth it. Its to the point where you have to make nice with the local liquor store clerks to get on a list to get called when its in stock. They don't even shelve the stuff. You have to go in and request it and they go to the back to get it if you are on their list.

2016 GMC Canyon CC 4x4 AT SB Onyx Black
Westin Pro Traxx 4
Trifecta Advantage Performance Tune
American Tri-Fold Soft Tonneau
Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights
Custom LED Bedlights
Diode Dynamics Cargo/Reverse/License Plate Bulbs
Morimoto XB35 5500K HID Low Beams
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
This idea was spurred off another forum - and I thought...what the heck!
(Disclaimer - this thread DOES NOT promote or encourage drinking & driving. Please read and respond only when you are safe at home and can drink until you pass out - lol).

We are in a 'Craft Brew' age - unlike any other. There are sooo many beers to taste, its overwhelming!! GONE - are my taste for the Coors, Bud, Miller and all of the mass produced beers. Granted - Coors light was my favorite in college. LOL

I don't know about you guys... but we've used a couple different APPS to help keep track (and rate) beers we've had. Currently.... we're using the APP "UnTappd" which seems to be a winner (or us). BeerAdvocate is a nice site - I haven't used it much.

I currently have tried 478 different beers .....I'm not much into the hoppy beers but I'll try anything once. My husband likes the hoppy beers.

What's your Beer Nerd story?
Oh, Anyone from (or near) Waterbury Vermont near the Alchemist Brewery?
Apparently, this is one of the best beers on the planet (according to some beer snobs we know) and is very difficult to get. May need to plan a trip up yonder. :)
REALLY enjoy Moose Drool, but alas can't get it here on the east coast, so my goto is Fat Tire amber ale.
Janster likes this.

2016 Canyon CrewCab BabyDmax
2004 Canyon CrewCab 315000 miles
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudditeDave View Post
A little OT; last year three new breweries opened within a five mile radius of me (all good ). Four more are scheduled in the first quarter next year within a 20 mile radius.
I think that will make 50 breweries/brewpubs in CT, population around 3 million.
Nice!! It's great to see new folks trying to start their own businesses. But, it also makes me wonder how many will still be around in a few years. I've seen 2 small breweries disappear after a year or two. At least they tried... I can only imagine the amount of money it takes to go public and get started up like that. And the money, time, effort to get your name out there. For us consumers, we have sooooo many to choose from, it's endless!

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser67 View Post
Good thread!

There's so many good beers out there now, you could try a new one every day for years! Untapped definitely helps keep track of all them.

My brother went to school in VT and my sisters boyfriend is from there plus skiing up in VT, made quite a few stops for some heady topper. Got lucky on one trip to Stowe and found a pack behind some random 6-packs in a cooler at a store.
Parents live around Portsmouth, NH so some great beers around there. One of them being Kate the Great, was rated the best one year iirc. Guy that created it started his own brewery in southern Maine, he makes some very interesting stuff. One he made was with yeast he cultivated from his beerd

I'm not too much of a fan of overly hoppy stuff. In fact I'm not all that much of an IPA guy, I like pale ales, lagers and pilsners much better. I really like more of the German style lagers and Kolsch, light but flavorful.

Have a American Pale Ale kit ready to brew whenever I get around to it. Will be my 5th batch. Slowly adding equipment as I go along.

Cheers!
I actually grew up in Dover NH - just haven't been back in a very long time. We'll probably make a trip to New England to visit all the states and visit some breweries while we're there. My brother lives in NH and my sister lives in Connecticut. Just not sure when the best time to go to VT and be able to at least... taste Heady Topper. My husband has never been to some of those states..... probably be a lot of driving. Lol

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeisber View Post
I'm a big fan of New Glarus Brewing up in WI. Spotted Cow (and now their Grand Cru Spotted Cow) is my go to all year beer. There have only been 1 or 2 beers from New Glarus that I didn't enjoy.

The other beer I when I'm in the mood for hops is a local called Zombie Dust. Extremely hard to find, but well worth it. Its to the point where you have to make nice with the local liquor store clerks to get on a list to get called when its in stock. They don't even shelve the stuff. You have to go in and request it and they go to the back to get it if you are on their list.
I've had Zombie Dust, just can't remember where! Lol
I rated it pretty low ... its a really hoppy beer isn't it? That's why... lol
My husband rated it really high, so obviously it's a must have/favorite with hop heads! Lol

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by byondhlp View Post
REALLY enjoy Moose Drool, but alas can't get it here on the east coast, so my goto is Fat Tire amber ale.
Fat Tire is a nice go-to beer to drink. I like to change up ... I'll buy a case of one... then buy a case of something else. Smithwicks is another go-to lager for us. We always have yuengling. I prefer Yuengling light over the standard lager.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 08:35 PM

Like this thread a lot. Wife and I have been to Great American Beer Festival in Denver 8 times travelling with a Beer publication out of New Jersey. There are other cult beers equal to or better than Heady Topper ( more available too). Try Maine Lunch from Maine brewing, Fuzzy Baby Ducks from Two Roads Brewery. or Boom Sauce from Lord Hobo Brewery. Or even most IPA's from Stone, Single Cut or Knee Deep.
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 09:19 PM

If ever in NC check out products by the Red Oak Brewery. They offer a few Bavarian style lagers that are really good. They import the hops and barley from Germany and the brew master graduated from beer college(I know, why didn't my guidance counselor tell me about that option) in Germany. All of their beers only use 4 ingredients,(water,barley,yeast and hops) and must stay refrigerated at all times because they are not pasteurized. Really good stuff..
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Like this thread a lot. Wife and I have been to Great American Beer Festival in Denver 8 times travelling with a Beer publication out of New Jersey. There are other cult beers equal to or better than Heady Topper ( more available too). Try Maine Lunch from Maine brewing, Fuzzy Baby Ducks from Two Roads Brewery. or Boom Sauce from Lord Hobo Brewery. Or even most IPA's from Stone, Single Cut or Knee Deep.
Two roads and Maine brewing have some very good beers. Some of my favorites are Maine Peeper and Mo.
I like a lot stuff from Jack's Abbey as well. Big fan of lagers so I drink a lot of Jack's

Quote:
I actually grew up in Dover NH - just haven't been back in a very long time. We'll probably make a trip to New England to visit all the states and visit some breweries while we're there. My brother lives in NH and my sister lives in Connecticut. Just not sure when the best time to go to VT and be able to at least... taste Heady Topper. My husband has never been to some of those states..... probably be a lot of driving. Lol
Oh nice! I love NH and glad my parents still live around Portsmouth. They have a lake house up in Middleton as well that is great to go up.
The whole seacoast area has gotten some great breweries now. Smuttynose has grown and had a nice brewpub along with the Redhook in Pease. If you make it up, check out Earth Eagle in downtown Portsmouth and Throwback in Hampton. There's a great 'growler tour' that brings you to different breweries for tours and history of brewing in the area, it's a great tour and nice way to try some beer and a local distillery. Highly recommend it.

Went to the Tulsa, OK Oktober fest this year, if anyone is ever around there or wants to go to an affordable great Oktoberfest, this is the one. Such a good time and tons of authentic German beer along with local and national beers. There was too many to try! I lost count at 12 steins...
Janster likes this.

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
, Fuzzy Baby Ducks from Two Roads Brewery. .
Mistake on my part; Fuzzy Baby Ducks is from New England Brewing. Sorry NEB! I was drinking Fullers Vintage Ale 2000 last night while I was posting. Smooth malt backbone, some sherrylike flavor, low hop bitterness, low carbonation, nice caramel finish...not diacetyl. Nice 17 yr old beer. Still have 5 bottles. Some of my beer geek friends tried other vintages and said theirs did not age well.

post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser67 View Post
Went to the Tulsa, OK Oktober fest this year, if anyone is ever around there or wants to go to an affordable great Oktoberfest, this is the one. Such a good time and tons of authentic German beer along with local and national beers. There was too many to try! I lost count at 12 steins...
My son went to that one this year. He said that someone shredded Hillary's emails in confetti and s
dropped it on the crowd. Also, Lufthansa sponsored the event and whoever was doing the VIP passes had a cluster f**k.. Anyway, he brought home 2 of the big plastic mugs; very German.... yeah right. Other thatn that, he said that was ok.

The best Guinness Extra Stout I ever had was in Grand Cayman. That bad biy was an ice cold 7% alcohol bad boy and very tasty.
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateado View Post
My son went to that one this year. He said that someone shredded Hillary's emails in confetti and s
dropped it on the crowd. Also, Lufthansa sponsored the event and whoever was doing the VIP passes had a cluster f**k.. Anyway, he brought home 2 of the big plastic mugs; very German.... yeah right. Other thatn that, he said that was ok.

The best Guinness Extra Stout I ever had was in Grand Cayman. That bad biy was an ice cold 7% alcohol bad boy and very tasty.
Didn't witness the shredding but being Oklahoma I'm not quite surprised and can't speak about the Lufthansa or VIP tents. The regular common folk tents were fun enough and had a good time with the shows and competitions.
I never said the mugs were German, there was plenty of real German beer however.
Thanks for you positive input though :cheers:

My build thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode