Beer Nerds - What are you drinking/Brewing? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Beer Nerds - What are you drinking/Brewing?

This idea was spurred off another forum - and I thought...what the heck!
(Disclaimer - this thread DOES NOT promote or encourage drinking & driving. Please read and respond only when you are safe at home and can drink until you pass out - lol).

We are in a 'Craft Brew' age - unlike any other. There are sooo many beers to taste, its overwhelming!! GONE - are my taste for the Coors, Bud, Miller and all of the mass produced beers. Granted - Coors light was my favorite in college. LOL

I don't know about you guys... but we've used a couple different APPS to help keep track (and rate) beers we've had. Currently.... we're using the APP "UnTappd" which seems to be a winner (or us). BeerAdvocate is a nice site - I haven't used it much.

I currently have tried 478 different beers .....I'm not much into the hoppy beers but I'll try anything once. My husband likes the hoppy beers.

What's your Beer Nerd story?
Oh, Anyone from (or near) Waterbury Vermont near the Alchemist Brewery?
Apparently, this is one of the best beers on the planet (according to some beer snobs we know) and is very difficult to get. May need to plan a trip up yonder. :)

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 12:58 PM

Garage
Great topic.
Whenever I travel, I stop at as many local breweries as I can.
Was in Alaska last summer and sampled a half dozen or so.
Then I found out I can get Alaskan Brewery Co in Michigan so now I bring some back to IL share whenever I go.
Janster likes this.

2016 Canyon SLE All Terrain Crew Cab 4x4
Cyber Grey / Jet Black
Steps removed
UnderCover Tonneau
Weatherguard Mud Flaps and Floor Liner
Opt 7 LED Headlights and Fogs
LED Reverse Lights
BNR Tune / Diablosport intune i2
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo17 View Post
Great topic.
Whenever I travel, I stop at as many local breweries as I can.
Was in Alaska last summer and sampled a half dozen or so.
Then I found out I can get Alaskan Brewery Co in Michigan so now I bring some back to IL share whenever I go.
Same here!! Hit the local breweries or pubs when we travel - but rarely take any home (we fly mostly).

Brew Fests are a nice way to sample beers. We've been to several of them in our area - which, after about 3-4 fests over a couple of years, the beers we haven't had are few and far between. But still FUN!!!
If you're looking for a Brewfest near you - I found this site. It might not have all of them listed, but it's a pretty good list.
The Beer Festival Calendar

We always buy tickets a couple months in advance (if possible) or else they sell out fast!!

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 07:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to redferbclan Send a message via MSN to redferbclan
Tonight, Worthy IPA. I'm blessed to live in the micro brew capital of the world, Oregon. I try and take advantage of it every time I can.
Janster likes this.

2016 Canyon SLT longbed 4x4 Duramax Summit White
Leather coca/dune
Nav/Bose
Spray in bed liner
Tow package
Chrome recovery hooks
Skid plate
Chrome running boards
Mud flaps
Tonneau cover
Door sill plates
Bed lighting
Red painted calipers
LED cargo lamps
LED back up lamps
LED reading and dome lamps
HID low beams
LED high beams
Yes, I got it pinstriped.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 08:04 PM

I brew my own using Mr Beer and Cooper's kits; shipped through Amazon Prime. Bewitch Amber Ale, Pilsners, Mexican Beer, Weissbier, Porter ; Draugh, Irish Stout, Lager from Coopers are great. Spring Water is the best to make it. Right now I am enjoying Apfelwein (hard cider) with 8.4% according to my hydrometer calculations. Still have left a case of 16oz bottles of Irish Stout and Bewiitch Amber Ale. My next 2 batches are Mexican and American Light Lager. Tried the IPA and suck balls; any IPA suck balls, way too much Hops. Is like drinking a flower bed....

Anyway... Nothing beat a nice fresh brew!
sagbay likes this.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 10:16 PM
PAR

Garage
I'm no beer nerd... but I do like beer. I don't typically try craft beers. I am a Coors Light/Mich Ultra man. Every now and then, I like to pick up some imports. Hoegaarden is a favorite. Drinking Coors Light ATM.

2015 Colorado CC/SB LT 2WD 3.6L V6
Cyber Gray/Jet Black
Convenience Pkg
18" Wheels
Tow Pkg/Locking Diff.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redferbclan View Post
Tonight, Worthy IPA. I'm blessed to live in the micro brew capital of the world, Oregon. I try and take advantage of it every time I can.
Huge IPA fan here. Sierra Nevada is hard to beat when it comes to IPA's. However, Terrapin's Hopsecutioner (Athens, GA) is one of my favorite craft brews.

Now I just bought New Belgium's Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ale. Really good stuff.

Most unusual? A micro-brewed stout in a hotel in Wuhan, China. Some of the best I've ever had.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jwzg; 12-25-2016 at 10:31 PM.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 10:46 PM

Garage
Living in the top hop producing area in the United States, its no surprise I'm sitting back with an IPA this Christmas night. Bale Breaker's Top Cutter IPA. Yummy.
Jwzg likes this.

"Stormtrooper"
2016 Colorado Z71 - Crew Cab - Long Box
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 09:31 AM

During winter, stouts are my go-to. Here are a few staples:

Mother's Winter Grind Coffee Stout (Springfield, MO)
Free State Oatmeal Stout (Lawrence, KS)
Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout (Denver, CO)
Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat Oatmeal Cream Stout (Manhattan, KS)

2016 GMC Canyon Crew Cab All Terrain 4x4 3.6L V6

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 11:07 AM

Lord Hobo Boom Sauce IPA, Woburn Mass.
The Breuery Imperial Stout. CA
Firefly brewing Twinkler Barleywine, Bristol CT.
Anything from Trillium (Boston) when I can get it.

Ordered 11/10/14: 2015 Colorado LT EC,4wd, Red Rock Metallic, Conv and Luxury package, G80, Bose & Nav, 18" dark argent wheels, black assist steps, bed mat, bed divider, tow package.
Event status 3000 12/15/14. Still at 3000 12/29/14. Status 3000 01/05/15. Status 3000 01/12/15. Status 3400 no VIN or TPW 01/17/15. Got VIN, and waiting transportation 01/27/15. On the train 02/04/15. At dealer 02/13/15, taking delivery 02/18/15; 100 days stock to dock.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

My all time favorite for easy summer drinking.... Linenkugal Berry Weiss. I've purchased case after case after case of that stuff over the years. Sometimes - not easy to get. I'm lucky to find a case and be the first to grab it. Still haven't found something to replace it - my GO TO beer.

Being from Lancaster - I'm not a fan of Yuengling like the locals are. I'd prefer Smithwicks over Yuengling.

I've also grown to enjoy certain porters & stouts - although, I don't prefer the heavy stouts. My local favorite - Big Gruesome by Spring House Brewery here in Lancaster. It's a Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout. It's absolutely tasty out of the tap at the brewery!!

Guinness is pretty popular around here. I hadn't had it in a very long time (since college?). No offense - but it was NOT what I was expecting. It was pretty watered down and had no flavor. I could name a hundred Stouts that are better than that!! IMO

I'm NOT into sours at all. The worst brew I've had was called a Flemish Sour Ale. That was absolutely horrible, like drinking vinager!

But that's the joy of beer - there are sooooo many different types, soooo many different flavors that appeal to all sorts of different people.

Every year - a friend of ours who lives in DC, gives us a bottle of Bourban Barrell GBS. This stuff is a 'sipper' @ 10.5% alcohol. It's good, just not something you'd drink to 'quench your thirst'. LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3568.jpg (210.6 KB, 15 views)

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 01:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to redferbclan Send a message via MSN to redferbclan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwzg View Post
Huge IPA fan here. Sierra Nevada is hard to beat when it comes to IPA's. However, Terrapin's Hopsecutioner (Athens, GA) is one of my favorite craft brews.

Now I just bought New Belgium's Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ale. Really good stuff.

Most unusual? A micro-brewed stout in a hotel in Wuhan, China. Some of the best I've ever had.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
Sierra Nevada also does one I think is called "Torpedo" It's almost a double IPA and holds up well drinking it over time. When I really need a jolt for an IPA, Ninkassi has a Tricerahops that will satisfy your cravings.
Jwzg likes this.

2016 Canyon SLT longbed 4x4 Duramax Summit White
Leather coca/dune
Nav/Bose
Spray in bed liner
Tow package
Chrome recovery hooks
Skid plate
Chrome running boards
Mud flaps
Tonneau cover
Door sill plates
Bed lighting
Red painted calipers
LED cargo lamps
LED back up lamps
LED reading and dome lamps
HID low beams
LED high beams
Yes, I got it pinstriped.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 01:08 PM

Garage
Been home brewing for 9 years, i've been on hiatus for the past year, need to get back going again.

2016 Colorado Extended Cab 2wd Cyber Metallic Gray
It's almost as pretty as a Canyon
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redferbclan View Post
Sierra Nevada also does one I think is called "Torpedo" It's almost a double IPA and holds up well drinking it over time. When I really need a jolt for an IPA, Ninkassi has a Tricerahops that will satisfy your cravings.
Torpedo is indeed good stuff.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
This idea was spurred off another forum - and I thought...what the heck!
(Disclaimer - this thread DOES NOT promote or encourage drinking & driving. Please read and respond only when you are safe at home and can drink until you pass out - lol).

We are in a 'Craft Brew' age - unlike any other. There are sooo many beers to taste, its overwhelming!! GONE - are my taste for the Coors, Bud, Miller and all of the mass produced beers. Granted - Coors light was my favorite in college. LOL

I don't know about you guys... but we've used a couple different APPS to help keep track (and rate) beers we've had. Currently.... we're using the APP "UnTappd" which seems to be a winner (or us). BeerAdvocate is a nice site - I haven't used it much.

I currently have tried 478 different beers .....I'm not much into the hoppy beers but I'll try anything once. My husband likes the hoppy beers.

What's your Beer Nerd story?
Oh, Anyone from (or near) Waterbury Vermont near the Alchemist Brewery?
Apparently, this is one of the best beers on the planet (according to some beer snobs we know) and is very difficult to get. May need to plan a trip up yonder. :)
I received a 6 pack of the imfamous heady topper from up there. Turned my IPA world upside down. Amazing beer but very difficult to get ahold of
Janster likes this.

2016 Canyon All Terrain V6
Morimoto HID 35w 5500k + Morimoto LED Fogs
Trifecta Tune
Fox 2.0 coilovers and shocks
265/70/17 BFG KO2 All Terrains
Bakflip F1 tonneau cover
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailout View Post
I received a 6 pack of the imfamous heady topper from up there. Turned my IPA world upside down. Amazing beer but very difficult to get ahold of
Yea....might require a trip up to Vermont but I'd need to do some research first. Can you imagine? Getting up there and still not being able to get any? At least a taste? LOL

Visiting Breweries helps us come up with ideas for vacation. :)

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 08:41 AM

Garage
Really got into craft brews about 20 years ago before they started popping up everywhere and everybody though Sam Adams was crafty. We lived in Portland, Oregon for 10 years and there was a brewery on every corner. We really loved going over to Bend and going to the Deschutes brewery. We now live in North Carolina and they are popping up every where here in Charlotte now too. Just went to a new one this weekend call 26 acres. Beer was very good. I am a hopp head so I always try the IPAs but there brown ale was very good too. Asheville is also a good place to go for breweries.
GeorgeT451 likes this.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 09:09 AM

I've had a lot of different beers in my life (70+) but I always go back to PBR. The "craft" beers are great but over time they lose appeal. I have noticed that some "finer" restaurants don't carry PBR so I go with Youngling from America's oldest brewer.
BeastStarr68 likes this.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 09:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT451 View Post
I've had a lot of different beers in my life (70+) but I always go back to PBR. The "craft" beers are great but over time they lose appeal. I have noticed that some "finer" restaurants don't carry PBR so I go with Youngling from America's oldest brewer.
Yeungling makes a really good Lager if you are into Lagers. My grandfather used to drink PBR...don't see it much anymore. Before craft brews came out I was still into English and German beers and Ales more than American lagers. Thing is I was young then and those beers were really expensive. When craft brews started coming out they were as expensive as the Imports but with all the competition the prices have gotten more reasonable. The traditional American lagers have gotten dirt cheap to try to hold on to market share.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 09:51 AM

I'll try most beers. Not a big Porter or stout guy. This winter I've been drinking great lakes Christmas and Bell's winter white. My usual go to "cheap" case of beer is PBR. I mean, it did win a blue ribbon, even if it was in 1893! I love a cold yuengling on draft. A good imported unfiltered hefeweizen is great too. Not a fan of domestic ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastStarr68 View Post
...they are popping up every where here in Charlotte now too. Just went to a new one this weekend call 26 acres. Beer was very good. I am a hopp head so I always try the IPAs but there brown ale was very good too. Asheville is also a good place to go for breweries.
Loads of good beer in Charlotte and Asheville for sure. I love the hop drop and roll. Noda is my favorite brewery in Charlotte. I try and frequent it as often as I can.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
BeastStarr68 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode