Onstar - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 102Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 01:00 PM

@hacklerjason

So this seems like an appropriate thread for discussing disconnecting the telematics unit, no?
hacklerjason likes this.

2016 Brownstone Duramax Z71 View My Build

N00bs click here for free help

PS: All my posted photos are dead because PhotoBucket sucks. If you need a pic restored PM me a link to the post and Ill fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
@hacklerjason

So this seems like an appropriate thread for discussing disconnecting the telematics unit, no?
Lol lemme read the thread.. Thoughts coming

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
post #23 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 01:13 PM

If anybody wants I'll upload all the info on the telematics system from the FSM

JScottM likes this.
post #24 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 01:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacklerjason View Post
Maybe you shouldn't be a moderator if you can lose your temper and delete a thread like that...

I've often wondered about a few Mods/Admins on this board. Like Mods/Admins that are also Vendors, seems like a conflict of interest to me. But, hey, whatever...
hacklerjason likes this.

Paul
2016 Colorado LT, Ext Cab
2.5L 4 Banger
LT Convenience Package
Lund Bed Extender
Chevy Drop-in Bedliner
Off Road Side Steps
Gator SR1 Tonneau
WeatherTech Mud Flaps
WeatherTech Vent Visors
post #25 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Call a deleted thread "grow"? It had an opportunity and it did grew, a mod didn't just pick low hanging fruit, he cut the branch

Nope the Deleted thread was the issue thread, this is the learn from and grow thread which is why it should be dropped and all that not be brought back up here. Handle that by PM if it must be done at all.

PS: All my posted photos are dead because PhotoBucket sucks. If you need a pic restored PM me a link to the post and Ill fix it.
post #26 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
Nope the Deleted thread was the issue thread, this is the learn from and grow thread which is why it should be dropped and all that not be brought back up here. Handle that by PM if it must be done at all.
Nah I'm good

post #27 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Nah I'm good

Ima ask for the thread to be cleaned (of our bickering on this) and Ill keep in touch with you on the onstar stuff and repost when we figure things out

post #28 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
@Blue15ColoradoLT Should not be apologizing for me. Thanks anyhow. I apologize for deleted that thread. It was my fault. I never deleted a thread before, but I got in a disagreement with a member and lost my temper. I take full responsibility for that.
not that it matters much now but, can a post be un-deleted?

oh and another thing......you sir, can not be trusted with a keyboard. Now hand over your "internet police" badge and service keyboard. ahahahahah
hacklerjason likes this.

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block and diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil looking, black, warranty voiding catch can
post #29 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
not that it matters much now but, can a post be un-deleted?

oh and another thing......you sir, can not be trusted with a keyboard. Now hand over your "internet police" badge and service keyboard. ahahahahah
You damn right!

post #30 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 01:49 PM
ADMIN

Garage
Thread cleaned up. Let's keep it on topic.

And if anyone has an issue with a moderator, please bring it to my attention.

2015 Laser Blue Colorado LT
CC, 4X4, V6, SB

Mods:
LED light bar - 32"
HID headlights
LED fog lights
LED high beams
LED reverse lights
LED license plate lights
LED visor lights
LED dome lights
LED switchback front turn signal lights
LED cargo light turn signal conversion
LED bed lights
LED tail lights
LED sidemarkers
Canyon swapped tail lights
Red painted calipers
Supermod ported throttle body
Silver metallic rally stripes
Super Skidz skid plate
Volant CAI

Have a Colorado but want Canyon tail lights? Or vice versa CLICK HERE

***NOTE***
SITE RULES

post #31 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 01:50 PM

Garage
Damn....and I left my popcorn at home.

First off...to get back on topic. If someone is so paranoid about OnStar...why would you buy such a new modern vehicle that contains it? There are plenty of other models out there, or older vehicles in good shape that won't "track you." This is not a new issue...as a previous poster pointed out, some sort of black box technology has been in vehicles for years. Especially the higher end sports cars. There are a lot of privacy issues with all of this....but market dictates that car companies will likely not violate them...that would be horrendous press. Nobody would buy a GM product if they turned over data to the authorities.

If all else fails make yourself a hat out of aluminum foil so the satellites can't read your thoughts while driving all call it good. Technical note: just make sure when you build it that the antennae stick out to the sides as our trucks aren't tall enough for them to come out of the top of the foil helmet.
hacklerjason and JScottM like this.

2016 Colorado
Red Hot Trail Boss
post #32 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue15ColoradoLT View Post
Thread cleaned up. Let's keep it on topic.

And if anyone has an issue with a moderator, please bring it to my attention.
Thank you

Last edited by hacklerjason; 01-02-2017 at 02:00 PM.
post #33 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Yes, log in or call Onstar to disable it. Why did you sign up for it in the first place if you're bothered by them tracking it?
I was able to find the part to disable. I don't remember signing up either. I wasn't really bothered till the other night I started looking around in there and it actually had a map of everywhere I went and had marked where I accelerated or braked hard. That seams to me to be just crazy. Now I want to know how it knows if I braked hard or accel hard. I'm hoping it is only GPS data. I'm going to assume it's only use is for GM to sell data to insurance companies. But who knows? Oh and who is the bean counter, that probably doesn't even drive, that decides what accel and braking is "aggressive" or whatever they called it? You know this whole thing brings up A LOT of questions if you think about it for a minute......

post #34 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbpoe View Post
Damn....and I left my popcorn at home.

First off...to get back on topic. If someone is so paranoid about OnStar...why would you buy such a new modern vehicle that contains it? There are plenty of other models out there, or older vehicles in good shape that won't "track you." This is not a new issue...as a previous poster pointed out, some sort of black box technology has been in vehicles for years. Especially the higher end sports cars. There are a lot of privacy issues with all of this....but market dictates that car companies will likely not violate them...that would be horrendous press. Nobody would buy a GM product if they turned over data to the authorities.

If all else fails make yourself a hat out of aluminum foil so the satellites can't read your thoughts while driving all call it good. Technical note: just make sure when you build it that the antennae stick out to the sides as our trucks aren't tall enough for them to come out of the top of the foil helmet.
I'm not one that is paranoid so much. In fact the reason I have not unplugged it yet is because I actually like one feature it has, long range keyfob. I was just in the area the other day, probably looked right at the connector but spaced it

Last edited by hacklerjason; 01-02-2017 at 04:23 PM.
post #35 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I was able to find the part to disable. I don't remember signing up either. I wasn't really bothered till the other night I started looking around in there and it actually had a map of everywhere I went and had marked where I accelerated or braked hard. That seams to me to be just crazy. Now I want to know how it knows if I braked hard or accel hard. I'm hoping it is only GPS data. I'm going to assume it's only use is for GM to sell data to insurance companies. But who knows? Oh and who is the bean counter, that probably doesn't even drive, that decides what accel and braking is "aggressive" or whatever they called it? You know this whole thing brings up A LOT of questions if you think about it for a minute......
It's done with accelerometers, and the truck has them.. It's also the same sensor that make the downhill assist and uphill brake assist work... There is also steering angle sensors... These trucks are smart

Last edited by hacklerjason; 01-02-2017 at 05:50 PM.
post #36 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:12 PM
ADMIN

Garage
Quote:
Their "Smart driver" is the same thing that I had to deal with when I ordered the Progressive Snap shot deal. The Onstar system tracks more info. The one thing I didn't like is how the Snap Shot programming determines your "discount" based upon hard brakes aka stopping more than 7 mph per second. Here in NJ (close to NY) we get a lot of snobby drivers who feel the need to always be first so getting cut off happens routinely around here. So my discount and premiums get adjusted because of some other douche who felt the need to cut me off.

Now someone stated earlier in this thread about evidentiary support. 99 times out of a 100, anyone with any decent knowledge of the law will have any "speeding ticket" dismissed because the information doesn't show who the driver is and the ticket goes to the driver not the car.

Now another tip that I found out, is that if you plug something into the ODBII port, it appears to mess up some of the data feed that onstar collects. When I had my snapshot device plugged in, I couldn't get certain reports because it kept telling me an external device was plugged in.
lqdchkn likes this.

2015 Laser Blue Colorado LT
CC, 4X4, V6, SB

Mods:
LED light bar - 32"
HID headlights
LED fog lights
LED high beams
LED reverse lights
LED license plate lights
LED visor lights
LED dome lights
LED switchback front turn signal lights
LED cargo light turn signal conversion
LED bed lights
LED tail lights
LED sidemarkers
Canyon swapped tail lights
Red painted calipers
Supermod ported throttle body
Silver metallic rally stripes
Super Skidz skid plate
Volant CAI

Have a Colorado but want Canyon tail lights? Or vice versa CLICK HERE

***NOTE***
SITE RULES

post #37 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbpoe View Post

For the hat: Is Reynolds Wrap ok? that's all I have. If not can I get the correct brand at Vons or maybe Costco? Does it take several layers to block all thoughts or are some thoughts "stronger" than others? Oh, and what do the side antennas do? Thanks and please reply ASAP, I'm pretty sure they are following me right now. Do "they" drive F150s and Tacomas? I think they do. OH CRAP this is NOT good!
robbpoe likes this.

post #38 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:34 PM

Garage
I'm an old guy, and drive like one, so you would think my Smart Driver score would be way up there, but it's not. As for hard braking, I have watched where and when these happen, and all are the result of braking when a light changes. I guess Onstar feels it's safer to run a red light than actually brake and stop before the light changes! The light in question has a very short yellow and a traffic camera which as cost me in the past, so I will continue to brake hard when that light changes, because the alternative could get quite costly!
lqdchkn and DrGonzo01 like this.

Paul
2016 Colorado LT, Ext Cab
2.5L 4 Banger
LT Convenience Package
Lund Bed Extender
Chevy Drop-in Bedliner
Off Road Side Steps
Gator SR1 Tonneau
WeatherTech Mud Flaps
WeatherTech Vent Visors
post #39 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue15ColoradoLT View Post
Their "Smart driver" is the same thing that I had to deal with when I ordered the Progressive Snap shot deal. The Onstar system tracks more info. The one thing I didn't like is how the Snap Shot programming determines your "discount" based upon hard brakes aka stopping more than 7 mph per second. Here in NJ (close to NY) we get a lot of snobby drivers who feel the need to always be first so getting cut off happens routinely around here. So my discount and premiums get adjusted because of some other douche who felt the need to cut me off.

Now someone stated earlier in this thread about evidentiary support. 99 times out of a 100, anyone with any decent knowledge of the law will have any "speeding ticket" dismissed because the information doesn't show who the driver is and the ticket goes to the driver not the car.

Now another tip that I found out, is that if you plug something into the ODBII port, it appears to mess up some of the data feed that onstar collects. When I had my snapshot device plugged in, I couldn't get certain reports because it kept telling me an external device was plugged in.
Very interesting stuff. I've seen the Progressive commercials about that thing but didn't know what it did. About the getting cut off thing, most likely if you rear ended them it would be your fault so I think that would go into Progressive's line of reasoning. I think i would explore different insurance companies if you haven't already. Just sayin'

Yeah that ticket thing I don't know. Same kind of thing with the red light cameras we have around here. I don't know if they really care if its you driving or not. I would suspect you could get it dismissed. But either way when you go to see the judge here to try and get a ticket dismissed or whatever it is a nightmare. It all starts with a half hour long video about why you are there, while sitting in a room full of misfits that have no respect for the law. Then of course you get to watch the whole video AGAIN in a different language. That is just the FIRST hour of your life gone that you will never get back. Forget the fine, having to go to court is enough of a deterrent for me! Funny thing is that it is just a way of life for a lot of the people in there, you can just tell. :(

post #40 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rock View Post
I'm an old guy, and drive like one, so you would think my Smart Driver score would be way up there, but it's not. As for hard braking, I have watched where and when these happen, and all are the result of braking when a light changes. I guess Onstar feels it's safer to run a red light than actually brake and stop before the light changes! The light in question has a very short yellow and a traffic camera which as cost me in the past, so I will continue to brake hard when that light changes, because the alternative could get quite costly!
Yes! That is one problem with this sort of thing. There is no way this system can know the whole story. Just like Blue, he gets cut off and it blames him. Just BS.

The part I saw on my Onstar report about my hard accelerating was just me testing my locking diff in the rain. I wasn't hurting anyone. ;) Oh and BTW, it surprised me how gentle the lockup was. Not a perfect system I guess but pretty good.
hacklerjason likes this.

Last edited by JScottM; 01-02-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode